• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Sleep Superthread- Apnea/ Disorders/ etc.

HItorMiss

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
Greatest way I have learned to stay awake is F**k stories from buddies...only crevat is none about the current wife/GF...hard to look at them the same if you know really intimate details of what they do in the bed room. I find guys just getting back from HLTA in Thailand have some great ones LMAO
 

Sonnyjim

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
I would say not to skip out on a hot coffee with a meal during the day if you get the opportunity, but 100% do not rely on anything caffinated at night to stay awake. It will last no longer than 1 hour. As other people have said, keep moving around, talk to your buddy, and find something to do even if it's a redundant simple thing on the spot.
 

geo

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
0
Points
410
oldpond said:
Jelly beans work well.  You can't fall asleep while eating.
Problem with eating it shat... you're eating... jelly beans leads to... jelly belly :p
(bin there, done that, got that & had a hell of a time getting rid of same)
 

geo

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Heh... problem with "yaking" with your buddy is that, at times you really shouldn't be yaking - you should be paying attention to what is going on throughout your assigned arc of responsibility.... in other words - STFU! 

Might as well have a snooze and leave a sign - "ring bell / shoot gun for service"
 

joonrooj

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Forgot to mention one: Adrenaline ;)

While you are standing there, think of every horror/slasher movie you've ever seen, jump at every noise.
Bonus: if someone really is coming you WILL know
Disadvantages: If someone really is coming you will likely notify them with rapid firing of your weapon, or for the faint hearted, screaming/steadily decreasing in volume sounds of branches and trees being disturbed.
 

Kat Stevens

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
1,456
Points
1,060
Sharpen a stick to a point, and tuck it in your gear about an inch from your chin.  If your head bobs, you get a nasty awakening.  Also put a strong elastic on your wrist.  When you start feeling drowsy, snap the inside of the wrist, HARD. 
 

HItorMiss

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
geo said:
Heh... problem with "yaking" with your buddy is that, at times you really shouldn't be yaking - you should be paying attention to what is going on throughout your assigned arc of responsibility.... in other words - STFU! 

Might as well have a snooze and leave a sign - "ring bell / shoot gun for service"

There are ways of talking with out having to be loud you know....Sometimes (frequently) you are whispering into eachothers ears...

Which is also in itself kind of disturbing...especialy telling umm racy stories LMAO

 

ballz

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
422
Points
910
Have any of you medical folk had to release members due to sleep disorders?

As a civie in high school I had problems with sleep and went to the doctor twice about it, the first time I think I was only 14. I was actually forced that time by my mom. I went again at around 17 under my own discretion. Not much Nothing was done.

I learned to "plan around it" for the most part, and I managed to work full-time in the trades 40 hrs a week, and for 8 weeks 60 hrs a week, and I guess due to getting up early and physical exhaustion throughout the day, I could manage to get 4-8 hours a night most nights so it was bareable. Some regularity was there while I was working, days off were another story.

Also during my 15 week BMOQ this summer, it generally wasn't a problem.  Other then the weekends coming and me getting screwed up enough that Sunday night I would only get 2 hours of sleep sometimes. It's weird though as soon as I'm "on my own time" I fall right back into it. After the 5 week indoc period, going to bed at 11pm getting up 5am everyday including weekends, I went to Montreal as soon as we were allowed out, went to bed at a reasonable hour (say 1-2am) and slept until 2pm. As far as I can find out, it's not normal, and that most people would not do this, or even be able to, after getting up 5am every day for 5 weeks.

I'm ROTP. Since I started at Civie U 2 years ago (first semester wasn't subsidized, last 2 and this one have been) with only 15-18 hrs a week in school, things have snowballed downhill. It's been affecting my ability to maintain a life that's "consistent with societal norms." There's just no regularity to it. No patterns. I am often up for 20-30 hours, and then sleep for 12, or maybe only 2, or maybe 16.... and other times I'm up for that time period and can't fall asleep, and the situation I'm in now that really prompted this post:

Sunday I woke up at 4pm. I was up all Sunday night watching football and doing a paper. I laid down to sleep at 6:30am (Monday), didn't fall asleep until about 8am. I had to get up at 10 30 am to attend an important class and finish a paper for 5 30 pm. By the end of my class at 6:45 pm, it was safe to say I was feeling a little sleep drunk. I came home, did some stuff around the house that had to be done, and laid down at 9pm (hoping to wake around 6-8am), only to not be able to sleep. Finally around 10 30 pm I fell asleep, but woke up twice, and finally woke up a 3rd time at 2am, and could not get back to sleep, no way in hell. I felt absolutely 100% awesome. It's now 8 50am, I feel great, ready to finish this day out.

But it's starting to be unbearable and ridiculous. By the time I sleep tonight, hopefully around 10 30pm, I will have had about 6-7 hrs of sleep since Sunday at 4pm when i woke. This is pretty ridiculous. And I have no idea what time I will wake up tomorrow, even if I do get to sleep at 10 30 tonight.

I feel that during my training in the summers I would not be as affected, and that once I finish training and am with the unit working in garrison it would be bareable gain. But I'm very hesitant to go to the doctor for a 3rd time about this, one because I'm worried I'll get turned away again, and two because I'm worried I'll end up getting medically released. Neither one does much good for me.
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
4
Points
430
I have known several people in the CF who have had "Sleep Apia".  Whether or not this will be a factor in your Recruiting Medical that may prevent you from joining the CF is a question I can't answer (being Armoured), but hopefully someone with the medical insight can give you some help.  I am sure this is something that will in the end have to be decided by the people reviewing your Recruit Medical.
 

ballz

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
422
Points
910
Thanks George. Sorry for not searching for a Sleep Superthread before posting. Brainfart on my part.

Just to clarify, this is not a recruitment medical issue. I have been enrolled since Sept 08.
 

Bruce Monkhouse

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
2,366
Points
1,260
ballz said:
Thanks George. Sorry for not searching for a Sleep Superthread before posting. Brainfart on my part.

Not your fault at all,.....I didn't make the "superthread" until your post gave me a topic that I hadn't thought of merging into one neat little package yet.
 

ltmaverick25

Sr. Member
Mentor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
ballz said:
Have any of you medical folk had to release members due to sleep disorders?

As a civie in high school I had problems with sleep and went to the doctor twice about it, the first time I think I was only 14. I was actually forced that time by my mom. I went again at around 17 under my own discretion. Not much Nothing was done.

I learned to "plan around it" for the most part, and I managed to work full-time in the trades 40 hrs a week, and for 8 weeks 60 hrs a week, and I guess due to getting up early and physical exhaustion throughout the day, I could manage to get 4-8 hours a night most nights so it was bareable. Some regularity was there while I was working, days off were another story.

Also during my 15 week BMOQ this summer, it generally wasn't a problem.  Other then the weekends coming and me getting screwed up enough that Sunday night I would only get 2 hours of sleep sometimes. It's weird though as soon as I'm "on my own time" I fall right back into it. After the 5 week indoc period, going to bed at 11pm getting up 5am everyday including weekends, I went to Montreal as soon as we were allowed out, went to bed at a reasonable hour (say 1-2am) and slept until 2pm. As far as I can find out, it's not normal, and that most people would not do this, or even be able to, after getting up 5am every day for 5 weeks.

I'm ROTP. Since I started at Civie U 2 years ago (first semester wasn't subsidized, last 2 and this one have been) with only 15-18 hrs a week in school, things have snowballed downhill. It's been affecting my ability to maintain a life that's "consistent with societal norms." There's just no regularity to it. No patterns. I am often up for 20-30 hours, and then sleep for 12, or maybe only 2, or maybe 16.... and other times I'm up for that time period and can't fall asleep, and the situation I'm in now that really prompted this post:

Sunday I woke up at 4pm. I was up all Sunday night watching football and doing a paper. I laid down to sleep at 6:30am (Monday), didn't fall asleep until about 8am. I had to get up at 10 30 am to attend an important class and finish a paper for 5 30 pm. By the end of my class at 6:45 pm, it was safe to say I was feeling a little sleep drunk. I came home, did some stuff around the house that had to be done, and laid down at 9pm (hoping to wake around 6-8am), only to not be able to sleep. Finally around 10 30 pm I fell asleep, but woke up twice, and finally woke up a 3rd time at 2am, and could not get back to sleep, no way in hell. I felt absolutely 100% awesome. It's now 8 50am, I feel great, ready to finish this day out.

But it's starting to be unbearable and ridiculous. By the time I sleep tonight, hopefully around 10 30pm, I will have had about 6-7 hrs of sleep since Sunday at 4pm when i woke. This is pretty ridiculous. And I have no idea what time I will wake up tomorrow, even if I do get to sleep at 10 30 tonight.

I feel that during my training in the summers I would not be as affected, and that once I finish training and am with the unit working in garrison it would be bareable gain. But I'm very hesitant to go to the doctor for a 3rd time about this, one because I'm worried I'll get turned away again, and two because I'm worried I'll end up getting medically released. Neither one does much good for me.

Your sleeping patterns sound very similar to my own.  I was diagnosed with Insomnia back in May, and possibly may have sleap apnea (still being looked into).  They treated me with very mild sleeping pills and for the most part, as long as I am disciplined about taking them at the right time every evening, things have been fine.  I can sleep without them, the problem is, that I just absolutely will not fall asleep at a reasonable hour without them.  Without the sleeping pills I am prone to falling asleep at 8am every day!

I dont know what effect any of this would have on a military career though.  I was still in the reserves when diagnosed with this, therefore everything was done through a civvie doc.  My next medical is not due for another 4 years.
 

X-mo-1979

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Yeah ballz your sleep sounds much like my own.I find as soon as I have time off I revert to night time awakeness.I dunno why.
Monday I am always messed up as the mere two days off work mess's my schedule up bad enough I'm usually wide awake at 4 in the morning and up again at 6h00 to head to work.

For me the problem is I require a routine.And getting up at 6h00 without the threat of being charged by the military for AWOL doesnt work for me!

I think I may actually be on a schedule today,wife gone to some cooking club thingy.Had to get up with the kids.

I can also sleep through anything.Rockets landing within 50M didnt even wake me.And those guys are LOUD!
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
658
Points
1,260
Now that I am retired, I sleep better than I ever did.
Problems now are that TV doesn't go off the air at 11PM anymore. They used to ask, "Do you know where your children are?" Then all you got was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSAFLdy2c1A
Also, internet is 24/7.
Also the streets are busy. Sunday and 24 hour shopping.  They used to roll up the sidewalks at sundown.
I think am sure we have more noise and light pollution now. Lots more sirens at night too.  That used to be a very big no-no.

 

peterpan

Fallen Comrade
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
0
Points
110
I already looked and couldn't find this topic. Does any one know if  sleep apnea would screw up an air crew medical. getting the proper equiptment would give better sleep and reduce blood pressure, resulting in better preformance. Is there any other air crew who may have it and still fly.
 

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
861
Points
960
I would be hesitant to recommend an air factor other than 5 for someone with sleep apnea. Sleep apnea comes from a variety of causes, the leading one of which is excess tissue in the posterior pharynx secondary to obesity. Reduction of body weight can frequently "cure" sleep apnea with the concomitant improvement in blood pressure, cardiovascular health, and sleep quality. There is surgery to help reduce the issue in people who have sleep apnea from other causes. The first step is to try and eliminate the cause.

That being said, your flight surgeon is your best resource.
 

peterpan

Fallen Comrade
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
0
Points
110
I know the flight surgeon is  the best to ask...but that is like shooting yourself in the foot. I was just wondering if there were any aircrew who already had it checked and still kept their air factor...but thanks for the response...you seem to more about it then I do..lol
 

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
452
Points
980
I know - they're our worst enemies. All that they want to do is ground us or stick their finger up our butts.

But sooner or later, you're going to have to ask one your question.
 

peterpan

Fallen Comrade
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
0
Points
110
Loachman said:
I know - they're our worst enemies. All that they want to do is ground us or stick their finger up our butts.

But sooner or later, you're going to have to ask one your question.
:rofl:  that is soon true. One guy I work with had trouble going to the bathroom for a spell and when he went to see the doc they wanted to check his heart and give him an ekg ...  and they grounded him?!?!  Needless to say he was p $$*#*....he wont go back any more.  Its like they are out to get us.
 
Top