• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

rmc_wannabe

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Part of the problem is we need to shift away from the corporate "Credentials" based management model that was adopted in the early 2000s and adopt a more "Effects" based leadership model.

I say Effects based in the sense of "What are the effects of this person leading the organization? Are they positive? Toxic? Do people want to work with/for this person? Let's take a look at the health and morale of the group you command; discipline problems? Administrative Actions? Merely having having them aren't a reflection of your command ability, but they do speak to the environment you're fostering."

The ability to competently lead isn't vested in topping ALP, JCSP, or having a CCE Language profile or Masters of Defense Studies; they compliment it for sure, but the true metric of a leader's ability should always be reflected primarily in the personnel they're responsible for.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Certainly. I recognize the time lag- though in D&B’s case he’s talking about CO of a PRes unit, which is not nearly so selective a process as in the Regs; more a matter of who continues to show up. That, in turn, is a factor of who is supported in balancing their PRes service and outside life (there’s your ‘two places at once’), who is encouraged into opportunities and training, and who is made to feel welcome as part of the team, unit, and institution.
For a woman that wants a family, be in the PRes and have a career, it means being in 3 places at once. The big reality for a woman is that they must take about a year out of their career for each child at the minimum and more likely 2-3 per child. The good news is that it is far more acceptable for a father to take time off work to help raise a child. In fact the two things I am most thankfully and appreciative of my government job is that I could take time off of work with partial pay to help with the first year of each child. Plus the fact that I get 80% healthcare for my Type 1 kid. If we want to level the playing field more, it's not punishing men or women who take time off to raise their kids. That should be seen as a benefit to society, because a kid who has parents involved will likley cost society a lot less down the road.

Bruce Monkhouse

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
. If we want to level the playing field more, it's not punishing men or women who take time off to raise their kids.
But that can also mean 'punishing' those who didn't take time off. I remember a girl who as soon as she got full time had 3 children in 5 years. Now has the same seniority for job picks/ etc as those who worked all of those five years.

Bruce Monkhouse

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
The swerve about the future of RMC/degrees/ etc has been moved here.

Nice that this thread is quiet.
Bruce

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
The swerve about the future of RMC/degrees/ etc has been moved here.

Nice that this thread is quiet.
Bruce

Yes, too quiet ;)

hey arnold nicksplat GIF