• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lawyer dies after his hidden gun goes off during MRI scan

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
26,136
Points
1,160
The downsides of having a magnetic personality...



Lawyer dies after his hidden gun goes off during MRI scan

Leandro Mathias de Novaes’ gun went off due to magnetic field in the MRI scanning room



A lawyer was accidentally shot by his own gun after he failed to remove it before going into hospital MRI scanning room.

Leandro Mathias de Novaes took his mother for a scan at Laboratorio Cura in São Paulo, Brazil, on 16 January, Jam Press reports.

The 40-year-old is said to have failed to tell hospital workers that he had a gun on him after being told to remove all metal objects before entering the scanning room.

The magnetic field from the MRI scanner pulled the pro-gun lawyer’s weapon was pulled from his waistband and went off, shooting him in the tummy.

He passed away on 6 February after battling for his life in at the São Luiz Morumbi Hospital.

As well as working as a lawyer, the victim also shared pro-gun content for his 12,000 followers on TikTok and Instagram.

A spokesperson for the Order of Attorneys of Brazil in Cotia, São Paulo said: “It is with deep regret that OAB Cotia communicates to all fellow lawyers the unexpected loss of our dear friend and lawyer Dr Leandro Mathias de Novaes.

“We are sorry for the loss and we sympathise with his family in this moment of pain.”

A spokesperson for Laboratorio Cura said: “We would like to emphasise that all accident prevention protocols were followed by the Cura team, as is customary in all units.

“Both the patient and his companion were properly instructed regarding the procedures for accessing the examination room and warned about the removal of any and all metallic objects.”

The laboratory also stated that both Leandro and his mother signed a form regarding the protocols, but the victim allegedly failed to mention his firearm and he entered the examination room with it “by his own decision.”

The police confirmed that the weapon was registered and the lawyer had a valid licence.


Lawyer dies after his hidden gun goes off during MRI scan
 
Dumb, but also in place where Lawyers are routinely murdered, I don't also blame him for not taking it off.
 
The passing of Leandro Mathias de Novaes due to the accidental discharge of his own firearm during an MRI scan is a tragic reminder of the importance of adhering to safety protocols in medical facilities. It's especially devastating that a young lawyer with a bright future ahead of him lost his life in such a preventable manner.

The incident also raises questions about the need for stricter regulations surrounding firearms possession. While it's important to respect individual rights, safety concerns should always be the top priority. It's also concerning that the victim shared pro-gun content on social media, highlighting the potential danger of promoting firearms without proper education and safety measures.

My thoughts are with Leandro Mathias de Novaes' family and loved ones during this difficult time. It's important for all of us to learn from this tragedy and prioritize safety measures in all aspects of our lives, including our interactions with firearms.
 
The passing of Leandro Mathias de Novaes due to the accidental discharge of his own firearm during an MRI scan is a tragic reminder of the importance of adhering to safety protocols in medical facilities. It's especially devastating that a young lawyer with a bright future ahead of him lost his life in such a preventable manner.

The incident also raises questions about the need for stricter regulations surrounding firearms possession. While it's important to respect individual rights, safety concerns should always be the top priority. It's also concerning that the victim shared pro-gun content on social media, highlighting the potential danger of promoting firearms without proper education and safety measures.

My thoughts are with Leandro Mathias de Novaes' family and loved ones during this difficult time. It's important for all of us to learn from this tragedy and prioritize safety measures in all aspects of our lives, including our interactions with firearms.

You this happened in Brazil, right ?

Perhaps you would be interested in this thread.

 
Interesting, I thought all spam bots could do is post about erectile dysfunction pills and weed gummies.
No say that 3 times, while pressing the like button to soawn 16 spam posts an hour for the rest of the day. :poop:
 
While MRIs may not be responsible for many gun deaths (guns don't shoot people, MRIs . . . ), this is not the only case of an MRI being quick on the draw. A sampling from over the years.

From the May 2002 issue of the American Journal of Roentgenology

Spontaneous Discharge of a Firearm in an MR Imaging Environment

An incident recently occurred at an outpatient imaging center in western New York State, in which a firearm spontaneously discharged in a 1.5-T MR imaging environment with active shielding. To our knowledge, this is the first documented case of such an occurrence. The event confirms previously reported theoretic risks of a firearm discharging in an MR imaging environment. In this report, we examine the incident in detail from the official police and ballistic reports.

An off-duty police officer went to an outpatient imaging center (not affiliated with our institution) in western New York State to have an MR imaging examination. The facility housed a 1.5-T MR unit (Signa; General Electric Medical Systems, Milwaukee, WI) with active shielding. The officer was carrying a model 1991 A-1 compact.45 caliber semiautomatic pistol (Colt's Manufacturing, Hartford, CT).The officer notified the technologist that he was carrying the weapon before entering the MR dressing room. The technologist told the officer to take the gun with him.

The technologist intended to meet the officer in the MR patient waiting area before the examination and secure the weapon in that room, where he felt it would be safe. However, the officer apparently misunderstood and took the gun into the MR suite. The technologist was entering the officer's personal data into the computer and did not see him entering the MR suite.

Once the officer was inside the MR suite, the gun was pulled from his hand as he attempted to place the gun on top of a cabinet 3 ft (0.9 m) away from the magnet bore. The gun was immediately pulled into the bore, where it struck the left side and spontaneously discharged a round into the wall of the room at the rear of the magnet. Fortunately, no one was injured. Although the gun struck the magnet bore, only minimal cosmetic damage occurred to the magnet itself. The MR unit had full functional capability immediately after the gun discharged. The weapon's thumb safety was reportedly engaged when the gun discharged.

An unsuccessful attempt to remove the gun from the magnet resulted in the gun being pulled to the right side of the magnet ( Fig. 1 ). The decision was then made to power down the magnet to remove the gun.
. . .

June 20, 2018

A Williston Park man was arrested last month after a handgun he possessed fired and injured him when he was about to undergo an MRI.
According to the Lynbrook Police Department, Frank Chester came to Stand-Up MRI of Lynbrook, at 229 Broadway, at about 6 p.m. on May 14, and his handgun discharged when he entered the MRI room, causing injuries to his thighs.

Police said that employees at the facility told them that they asked Chester to make sure he had no metal on him before he entered the MRI room. Police said Chester told employees he did not possess any metal and when he entered the MRI room, the technician told police they heard a loud popping sound. Chester had a loaded .380 caliber handgun in his pocket and the magnets from the MRI machine caused it to discharge.

The bullet entered Chester’s right thigh and passed through his left thigh. Lynbrook police officers arrived on the scene and treated him until an ambulance took him to NYU Winthrop Hospital, in Mineola, for further care. An update on his condition was not available at press time.
Chester had a license to possess the firearm, but was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment.

A veteran was wounded Wednesday at Richard L. Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center when a handgun he brought into the Indianapolis hospital accidentally discharged in his pocket while he was in a procedure room — possibly an MRI suite.

Hospital officials confirmed the accidental shooting in a statement issued Thursday and reported the victim, whose name was not released, received immediate medical attention. The statement added the man's wound did not threaten his life.

A gun? What gun? Oh, the one that caused big problems for a Shands' MRI machine.

See, an MRI machine is just one big magnet.

So when Joy Smith, an off-duty Jacksonville Sheriff's Office deputy, was in the MRI room with her mother and apparently forgot about her gun, there was big trouble.

The gun caused her to be pulled by the magnetic force of the machine, trapping her hand between the gun and the MRI.

Smith was able to free herself, but the gun remained stuck for hours while the machine was powered down, which takes 24 hours.

The MRI had to close for the rest of the day and a MRI technician was flown in to fix the machine. Channel 4's Adam Landau was told that between repairs and lost revenue, the incident cost the center $150,000.
 
Back
Top