Author Topic: "Give Peace a Chance" Private Member's Bill  (Read 13446 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
"Give Peace a Chance" Private Member's Bill
« on: October 01, 2009, 18:32:55 »
This, from Hansard for yesterday's proceedings in the House of Commons:
Department of Peace Act

Mr. Bill Siksay (Burnaby—Douglas, NDP)  moved for leave to introduce Bill C-447, An Act to establish the Department of Peace.

He said: Mr. Speaker, I am honoured to table a private member's bill today that calls for the establishment of a department of peace as a full federal government department.  I would like to thank the member for Scarborough—Agincourt for seconding the bill.  The bill is based on the model developed by the Canadian department of peace initiative. This bill would establish a full, comprehensive department of peace as part of the infrastructure of the Canadian government, with its own minister, department and resources, and put peace at the centre of government rather than on the corner of a desk of another minister or other public servants.  There would be a voice dedicated to the promotion of peace at the cabinet table.  The department's mandate would be to promote a culture of peace and the non-violent resolution of conflict in Canada and around the world and to build institutions for long-term research policy and action for sustainable peace.  The bill would also establish a Canadian civilian peace service to further professionalize peace work by Canadians.  A similar youth peace service is also contemplated by the bill.  As the co-chairs of the Canadian department of peace initiative, Bill Bhaneja and Saul Arbess have noted that this bill is about the need to bring peace through peaceful means.

(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: "Give Peace a Chance" Private Member's Bill
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 18:57:54 »
 :peace:

How about a "Department of Whoopass", for those times when a group hug and lollipops all around just won't do?

Where do they come up with this stuff?

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 18:59:42 »
 :endnigh:

Yep, the end is close.  I'm assembling a crack team of Panzers and heading out to shoot those who have beaten their swords into ploughshares.

:panzer:
So, there I was....

Offline Tommy

• If you dont fill out your Claim properly, the Terrorists Win...
  • Rate Post
  • This Space for Rent - Enquire Within
    • iRock
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 21:30:55 »
Oh dear god..........

You have GOT to be kidding me.....

no suprise it came from BC.......

Tommy is retired now so he can say any opinion he darned well pleases so long as it stays within the forum guidelines :D

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 21:38:11 »
You know, they are on to something here.

Everyone should really try to give a peace a chance.

And when then when that fails....

We come in and do that whoopass thing.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline WB

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 21:57:32 »
Department of Piece?

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 22:01:41 »
Oh c'mon fellas,

Arms were made for hugging.

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 22:02:27 »
Thankfully private member's bills frequently get defeated. More-so when they're proposed by the opposition.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline X-mo-1979

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 22:10:03 »
hahaha.
I'm seriously leaving this country soon.

Offline Tommy

• If you dont fill out your Claim properly, the Terrorists Win...
  • Rate Post
  • This Space for Rent - Enquire Within
    • iRock
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 22:10:35 »
Oh c'mon fellas,

Arms were made for hugging.

dileas

tess

So were hands.... I enjoy the thought of using my hands to Hug hippies.... very tightly and lovingly around their Necks....   ;)

Come on Brah, we all gotta get along man... we're all just passengers on Spaceship Earth Man......  ;D
Tommy is retired now so he can say any opinion he darned well pleases so long as it stays within the forum guidelines :D

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 22:12:43 »
 :peace:

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 11:11:30 »
We should rename CANSOFCOM the department of peace.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Shec

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 11:43:47 »
Do I smell (pun intended) a coalition between the NDP and the BC Marijuana Party here? 
From the cold water of Fish Creek, into the sunken road at Rumilly, onto the beach at Normandy, and across the wastes of the Sinai desert, the silver gate has gone and is still ready to serve.

Offline Newt

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 12:18:46 »
"So sorry we couldn't stop your village from being ethnically cleansed, we were to busy organizing a peace summit."

You can't hug a child with Combat Arms, but you sure as f*** can use them to stop that child from being hacked apart with a machete.

"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." — Haruki Murakami from "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running"

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 13:41:39 »
I think it’s a great idea, offer a job to all of our special people like Michael Byers and such. Put them on a airplane, give them a chute and punt them out over the crisis zone, they can spread their joy and love to combat the violence. Sort of like the Peace Corp version of fire jumpers. Hey if they survive and bring peace to the region, then they proved their theory, what could go wrong?

Offline bdave

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 15:08:19 »
I think it’s a great idea, offer a job to all of our special people like Michael Byers and such. Put them on a airplane, give them a chute and punt them out over the crisis zone, they can spread their joy and love to combat the violence. Sort of like the Peace Corp version of fire jumpers. Hey if they survive and bring peace to the region, then they proved their theory, what could go wrong?

Pfff, that's not how it's done.

The proper way is to protest something on a main street while blocking traffic and stopping productive members of society from getting to work.
You can show how much you care about peace and love by smashing up a few stores and cars. Maybe set some places on fire. Then when the police gets there and tries to stop you from wrecking havoc, you can complain about police brutality. The CS gas will move you to tears!
After all this is said and done, the people on the other side of the world will obviously feel very moved by your protest and they will stop all their wrong doings.
Come on fellas, give peace a chance.

Offline 3rdroyal

• Its coffee time! Time for coffee!
  • Rate Post
  • Always Remember Them
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 17:01:29 »
Great. Another government department dedicated to accomplishing nothing. Yeah that's a great idea. Lets try booting them out the back of a LAV in or around Zhari, give them 2 days, and see what they accomplish? Their "non-violent" method will get their heads jammed onto a spike. It must be nice for deluded idiots to be able to sit at home and think up nonsense like this and preach on their pedestal, while never having to actually go somewhere where "peace" is a relative term and someone is trying his damndest to kill you. What should be created is a Department of Realism, whos sole responsibility is to hear all ideas before they are presented, and say "Hey, that sounds feasible" OR "Shut up, give your head a shake, that is just stupid".
Pressure creates diamonds; softness breeds mould

To be truly ready to fight, one must be ready to die

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 17:20:12 »
Also in the news....

Roiders - Mr. Bill Siksay, Canadian MP, who proposed a new private members bill which would introduced a "Department of Peace" has borrowed a page from some of his previous political predecessors.

"Although they were Liberals, some of our former Prime Ministers used famous people to help them endorse some of their Ideas.  Pierre Trudeau paraded John Lennon around, Paul Martin chummed with Bono.  I on the other hand, being NDP, will n ot use the schlocky musician type activist.  I would like to invite Alec Baldwin and his members of F.A.G to contribute in making this Bill a reality"

He further went on to say, that clips of news coverage on Youtube, where mister Alec Baldwin, and his colleagues were voicing ideas that were innline with his own ideas.  He further provided a clip that convinced him the most;

Film Actors' Guild Video

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

c4th

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 17:45:23 »
I think the Department of Peace is a great idea, but only if I get to be the deputy minister.  If it were possible to have less accountability than the Dept of Canadian Heritage, this is it.

Offline bdave

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 21:38:10 »
Also in the news....

Roiders - Mr. Bill Siksay, Canadian MP, who proposed a new private members bill which would introduced a "Department of Peace" has borrowed a page from some of his previous political predecessors.

"Although they were Liberals, some of our former Prime Ministers used famous people to help them endorse some of their Ideas.  Pierre Trudeau paraded John Lennon around, Paul Martin chummed with Bono.  I on the other hand, being NDP, will n ot use the schlocky musician type activist.  I would like to invite Alec Baldwin and his members of F.A.G to contribute in making this Bill a reality"

He further went on to say, that clips of news coverage on Youtube, where mister Alec Baldwin, and his colleagues were voicing ideas that were innline with his own ideas.  He further provided a clip that convinced him the most;

Film Actors' Guild Video

dileas

tess

It amazes me how actors think they are qualified to give advice on a situation they know nothing about.
It scares me that people listen to said actors.

Offline Buddha66

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 00:21:38 »
to the honourable member from Burnaby—Douglas:

Sir - please put the crack pipe down

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 00:23:39 »
It amazes me how actors think they are qualified to give advice on a situation they know nothing about.
It scares me that people listen to said actors.

I know,

As soon as I hit the link, I was shocked at what they were saying.

Damn that Matt Damon, and I liked him in Saving Private Ryan.

dileas

tess

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 07:38:02 »
"Matt DAAAAAAAAAAAMON!"

Couldn't resist...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline X-mo-1979

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 02:26:54 »
What should be created is a Department of Realism, whos sole responsibility is to hear all ideas before they are presented, and say "Hey, that sounds feasible" OR "Shut up, give your head a shake, that is just stupid".

I'll second that!
Next ethnic cleansing (..cause we all know its gonna happen) I wanna see a C-17 airdropping leaflets from the Dept of Peace.It's cheaper than paying all those brutal soldiers,not to mention VAC will not need to aid those getting hurt saving tax payers dollars.

Then they can argue at Parliament if it's working. Slowly as side X gets exterminated the fighting will stop.Then the Dept of peace can claim victory.Mere fractions of the tax payers dollars and the conflict will end.

Win-Win.