Author Topic: Wellington boots for mess dress  (Read 24911 times)

Offline Cayuga

• Rate Post
Wellington boots for mess dress
« on: November 22, 2007, 15:32:58 »
I was reading through the dress regs for mess dress. (being the proud owner of a new mess kit and making sure I know how it is worn. I saw that you can have wellington boots with your mess kit... Does anybody know any more details where I can purchase a pair? In halifax at the moment, in Esq in the new year...
Ut es nos questus ex hic?

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Wellington boots for mess dress
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 17:42:53 »
Contact Boulet boots. The one you want is found here:
http://www.bouletboots.com/pdf_en/institutional.pdf

No. 8280, Congress boot

Same ones we wear with Mess kit and Patrols. The RCMP also use the same boot from what I understand. Very good quality and very comfortable. I think mine were about $125.00.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 17:48:46 »
Wellington, and Boot.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Spandrel

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 18:52:17 »
You can go with the Boulet version, they do a decent half-Wellington.

However, if you want the real thing, quality workmanship, full length Wellingtons, go to Shipton & Heneage in the UK.  The link is to the US site, there is also a UK site if you google it.  They'll run $250+ depending on exchange but you get what you pay for.  No regrets having got mine a couple years ago after 10+ years in Boulet half-Wellies.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 10:46:52 »
Alternatively, go check your nearest Dacks shoe store - they are a national chain.

I haven't worn Wellingtons (properly quarter Wellingtons) for years and years, but I was in a Dacks store just recently and noticed a pair on display. I didn't check either price or boot-maker (Dacks also carries Church shoes - a first class UK brand) nor did I look to see if they were boxed for spurs, but this is a navy thread so that ought not to be an issue.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:52:30 »
I was able to buy the 'boxes' and spurs through the Armour School Kit Shop and have a cobbler in one of the malls in Kingston install them on my 'Boulets'. 

I rather doubt you'll find boots already fitted with boxes at any retail outlet in Canada.  Another option is 'real' spurs that you can find in some kitshops.

(Wait a minute........This is the Navy Forum..........Navy don't wear spurs.......Sorry!  :-[  )
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 10:54:38 »
Be advised, a true pair of Dacks will cost about the same as your mess kit ;) You have a life long pair of shoes however.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 16:39:42 »
What element are you?  I'm just guessing here, but Halifax/Esquimalt postings usually mean navy...and if so, you can wear your oxfords instead.  Probably will save you a few $.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Matty Lowe

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 13:03:06 »
I was reading through the dress regs for mess dress. (being the proud owner of a new mess kit and making sure I know how it is worn. I saw that you can have wellington boots with your mess kit... Does anybody know any more details where I can purchase a pair? In halifax at the moment, in Esq in the new year...

I have a pair a shoemaker in Hong Kong made for me in 1979, they're in almost new condition because they have rarely been worn. What size do you need?

Offline turretmonster

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 13:43:44 »
I got my wellies in Spain in 1986. Nothing beats a well built pair of boots.

Navy spurs??  For wheeling young offrs around the deck?

TM

DYCO forever....   :blotto:
Friends don't let friends use Monitor - Mass

Offline Not_So_Arty_Newbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 02:58:18 »
you can also get a pair of 10 inch wellies from Alberta Boot for about 260/270 or so

Offline bartbandyrfc

• Rate Post
  • Happily solving problems at the tactical level
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 20:39:15 »
Go with Shipton and Henaege.  Fantastic boot, and the real McCoy.  Most people cll Congress boots or Chelsea boots Wellingtons.  Might as well go with what the Duke had in mind.

Offline old fart

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 22:02:46 »
No boxes needed.....but not sure if I would go for these....see below:

http://www.messdress.com/ishop/820/shopscr1244.html

Worth a look also....

http://www.messkitonline.co.uk/acatalog/NCO_Mess_Accessory_Packs.html

I have a pair of quarter wellingtons (almost brand new) and a pair of Chelsea's (older than I).  But If I was starting over George Boots have my vote....They can be had for 50 pounds here + boxes.

If you buy overseas (UK), make sure they do not charge you VAT.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 22:08:36 by old fart »
"Soldiering on"

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 23:14:08 »
Nice necropost Old fart - Blame it on the Oldsheimers.  ;)
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.