Author Topic: Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread  (Read 202891 times)

Offline old medic

• Medical Forum Moderator
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: What watch should i get??
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2004, 00:51:43 »
Get something that:

is a dark or earthy colour,
can do 24 time
has a light or is back lit
can resist water ( water proof)
can absorb shock.

And optionally has dual time zones, so you can set one to GMT zulu time.
re-answering vision questions since 2004.

jmackenzie_15

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2004, 00:53:33 »
ive already gone through like 4 watches, ill check into this timex ironman =p how much are they?

Offline devil39

• Rate Post
  • Ex-Army Guy
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2004, 01:00:50 »
I love the Timex Ironman, but would not recommend it if you plan on going anywhere near the "two way range".   Backlighting sucks when you are tactical at night and want to know the time.

I look for a waterproof/resist watch, with glowing hour, minute and second hands.   Not that easy to find when you get right down to it.

Generally though the Ironman will serve you very well.   Extremely durable, damned near indestructible.

Offline KevinB

• Has Been
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • As a Matter of Fact the Sky is Blue in my world...
    • FN America
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2004, 02:23:25 »
G Shock
 I got one prior to going down to the USMC Mountain Warfare Center in 97 - it is still ticking...
Kevin S. Boland
Manager, Federal Sales
FN America, LLC
Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 703-244-1758  | Fax: 703.288.4505
www.fnhusa.com

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2004, 05:07:03 »
I bought a Swiss Army which is all steel,good for 30 m.,leather strap and it his has taken a beating and the crystal has stood up and has a very good luminous dial all for on y $97.00 at Costco.

Just don't buy a F'n beeping watch as it's not on when you is playing sneeky pete and it's starts beeping!!
DOH!! :o :o
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline Bomber

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2004, 08:49:16 »
I bought a Casio Dive Watch in the Canary Islands 5 years ago.  It is still going, three straps latter.  It weighs a ton and has never let me down, the dial has a dim glow that lasts all night, not one of those blinding ones that burns out in an hour.  The only problem is it is in Spanish/English, and i guess a spring has let go, cause the date changes, but the days are stuck in Spanish.  Should have bought the international warranty....

Offline Garry

• Rate Post
  • Retired
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2004, 17:20:58 »
Good advice above.

In the early 80's I was breaking the issued CF watch crystal about once every 2 weeks, and was not impressed- wasn't costing me anything, but a pita to keep replacing (tanks are hard on stuff). We were in Germany, and the canex was having a sale on Seiko Divers kinetic watches. A bunch of us bought them, and this watch is still going....been dropped from a thrid story window on to concrete a few times, survived years in tanks, been down over 100 feet diving a bunch, and I'm very happy. Best of all, it has a day/date function- very important in the field as I never knew what day it was- handy with codes :)

Story time: When we bought the watches, the CF was going through several "interim" types. We repatriated, and one of the guys that had stayed behind saw one of the guys wearing the seiko and asked where he got the watch. "from supply" was the answer. "No way" was the response. Long story short, the guy with the watch went to us all and gave us a heads up- we all gave the other guy the same story (issued)- and when he had finally swallowed the bait, he went to Reg QM (where the cpl was wearing a seiko) and asked for one...NO- and get out! was the response...LOL, he was one cheesed off individual!

Cheers-Garry

Offline JayJay

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2004, 19:12:01 »
   Hmmm....well, I remember when I went on BRT in 2001, I had this amazing TIMEX Expedition, I thought it was the greatest watch in the world.  It wasn't too big (girls have small wrists) and didn't get in the way, it had all the functions you could imagine....the second week into BRT the battery leaked and destroyed the watch, I was not impressed.  Anywhoo, in a pinch I ran to the closest Zellers in Town and bought a cheap $30 watch.... it's an ACQUA with indiglo, it's water resistant to 30M...anywhoo, I've had it since, haven't had to replace the battery, it's been with my through BRT, QL3, every exercise (once a month), and through a 3 week ex in Petawawa.  And, the best thing is it was cheap, so I don't have to worry about scratching it (which for some reason it hasn't got a scratch on it!).

Just something to think about.
VVV-Velox Versutus Vigilans

Offline J-Swift

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2004, 21:12:16 »
ok, i bought this watch that I am about to show you the link to about 1 year ago and I have basically smashed it, dropped it in a pool, done every possible thing to it you can do...I use it in the field and it still works great and it has 24 hour time reference..

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=11679&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=957&iSubCat=968&iProductID=11679
Ignorance is venemous, and it murders the soul, spreading like a virus running rampant, but out of control

Offline cheeky_monkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2004, 22:05:47 »
ok, i bought this watch that I am about to show you the link to about 1 year ago and I have basically smashed it, dropped it in a pool, done every possible thing to it you can do...I use it in the field and it still works great and it has 24 hour time reference..

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=11679&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=957&iSubCat=968&iProductID=11679

Sweet. That is an awsome watch.
Verité, Devoir, Vaillance

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
    • http://soon
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2004, 22:55:39 »
yeah that fossil watch looks sweet, but is there any problem with having a silver watch?? Like sun reflections and so on?
What ever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger ;
Whatever doesn't kill ME, had better run like hell!

Offline JayJay

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2004, 00:28:51 »
   I wouldn't recommend it for courses, once you're finished BMQ, it probably wouldn't be a problem, although, I would shy away from having such a pretty watch in the field, despite how it well it works....it's just so shiny, I'd be afraid of getting it scratched.

Crazy_Eyes

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2004, 01:52:54 »
Nixon makes a good watch, wide velcro strap. Comes in camo, or olive green, and it's called the Recruit/Scout, cant remember which, there's also one called the footsoldier, they're expensive, but worth it. the site is www.nixonnow.com check it out if u want to

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2004, 08:31:23 »
Just to point out, I never owned a watch in my life so I don't know anything about them :crybaby: . One question, is having a wider watch band better? Why?

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2004, 08:44:00 »
Looking through the Ironman watchs and some are kickass, but there are too many too choose from, which one would you recommend??

Offline 48Highlander

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Applied Ballistics
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2004, 10:08:01 »
Talk about indecisive.  How far do you want us to noarrow it down for you?

Ok, get the third one from the left on the bottom shelf.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2004, 11:38:15 »
If you've never had a watch, just go buy something cheap. Get used to it and you'll soon start to realise the functions you want\ need. Once you know what you want for sure, go buy it. You should have enough info by now to make this simplest of decisions. This ain't rocket science.
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline Goober

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2004, 11:38:56 »
Here's my watch.

http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=753048122011

I love it because it has a built in compass. I'm not in basic yet, but I'll be afraid to scratch it. Might get a cheap one for basic.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2004, 11:47:56 »
I always found this one useful

http://www.rolex.com/

8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Slim

• Just sliding along...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Daylight in the swamp
    • Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2004, 13:24:07 »
I've had a "SWISS MILITARY" watch for some time now and am very pleased with it. Its all titanium, has a hand that can be set for a different time zone, is fashionable enough to wear at work...or good enough to wear training. It also has a date window and a 12/24 hour face.

The watch I would like for dressy occasions is the SWISS ARMY VIP which is now out of production but still available in some places.

Cheers

Slim
"The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Edmond Burke

Offline JayJay

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2004, 14:10:48 »
haha, wider watchband= wider watchband tanlines!!!!

Offline sdimock

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2004, 15:04:48 »
Trivia

When my Grandfather came back from WW1 (2nd Can Mounted Rifles) he brought back a wrist watch from the
front that was complete with a cover that had holes in it in a flower pattern. I understand that this type of watch wasn't unusual on the front.

This isn't his watch but one that is the same.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Crazy_Eyes

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2004, 14:03:28 »
Just to point out, I never owned a watch in my life so I don't know anything about them :crybaby: . One question, is having a wider watch band better? Why?

Doesn't really make a difference, I just like the feel of having a wider band, it's more comfortable, and just makes it feel stronger. Just my personal preference though

Offline JayJay

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2004, 23:38:47 »
  I guess that entirely depends on your trade as well.  I know from experience, smaller watches in general are better, as they don't get caught on the cables and whatnot as easily as a bigger watch, but yeah, even if you have a thin watch strap, you can always go to http://www.canadianpeacekeeper.com and get the watch strap...some of the guys I know find it handy at least.

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2004, 23:27:45 »
I've had a "SWISS MILITARY" watch for some time now and am very pleased with it. Its all titanium, has a hand that can be set for a different time zone, is fashionable enough to wear at work...or good enough to wear training. It also has a date window and a 12/24 hour face.

The watch I would like for dressy occasions is the SWISS ARMY VIP which is now out of production but still available in some places.

Cheers

Slim

Is this the one your talking about :

http://www.4-watches.com/wenger/72557.jpg

Went to a watch store and was thinking about getting this one or another titanium one that is white inside, can't find the picture.

Also saw the G-Shock but it seems too fancy and too big.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 00:00:13 by jarko »