Author Topic: Putting on weight  (Read 71654 times)

Offline Danke

• Rate Post
Putting on weight
« on: January 07, 2011, 15:13:24 »
I was wondering if anyone had some advice for putting on weight before my medical. I'm 22, male, about 5'9", 125 lbs right now, and I've never been heavier. I'm hoping that my training for the fitness exam will fill me out a bit, but exercise has never worked for me before  :-\

Any tips?

Offline TheHead

• Rate Post
Re: Putting on weight
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 15:16:33 »
What is your diet like at the moment?
Banned from US Politics Threads :  Passed Q4 2018
Banned from Canadian Politics Threads : Passed Q4 2018
Banned from Political Cartoons Thread : Pending

Offline Danke

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 15:19:33 »
What is your diet like at the moment?

It's been worse than normal lately, though I've started improving it. I'm trying to stick to 3 squares a day now (since snacking keeps the metabolism going all day, burning off extra calories) but it doesn't always happen. Usually toast or a bagel with eggs in the morning, instant meal for lunch, and a solid meal for dinner.

Offline TheHead

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 15:26:09 »
  By instant meal you mean frozen right?   ;)

Offline Danke

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 15:31:23 »
  By instant meal you mean frozen right?   ;)

Yep :( To my everlasting shame, the cooking course I took back in high school didn't stick with me. On the plus side, I invented the "Beggel"--an unholy combination of bagel and egg-in-the-basket.

Offline TheHead

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 15:50:01 »
Yep :( To my everlasting shame, the cooking course I took back in high school didn't stick with me. On the plus side, I invented the "Beggel"--an unholy combination of bagel and egg-in-the-basket.

You don't need to be an amazing cook to eat healthy.   I'm terrible at cooking nice, elaborate dinners but I've managed to put twenty-two pounds on over the course of six months. By no means am I a personal trainer or a weight-lifting guru.  This is also something I threw together on my own.   I had the same problem as you did.  When I got back from Afghanistan my diet turned into crap and I couldn't gain a pound even if I had a pizza eating marathon and drank bottles of pop.  It's all about the diet. 

For breakfast two packets of oat meal and six egg whites.  I buy the one dollar egg white cartons from Walmart and I get 3-4 meals out of them.
For a snack I have another 10 egg whites that I cooked the night before with a little bit of pepper or two packets of oatmeal.
For lunch I have 2 pieces of chicken breast and two cups of rice that I cooked the night before.
For a snack I have a protein bar or a protein shake.
For supper I have two pieces of chicken breast, two cups of rice and a serving of spinach.

Switch the chicken up with pieces of cod and the packets of oatmeal with cans of tuna or beans mixed in with salsa.  None of these meals take more than 30 miniutes to make and it's very cost effective.   You can get 20 egg whites for a dollar and boxes of chicken breast are cheap at Walmart, Sobeys or M&M Meats.   

Get rid of the frozen meals, eat 5-6 small meals a day and take a look into throwing a supplement into your diet.  You don't need to drink 4L of Mammoth 2000 a day but they do help.     

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 16:07:54 »

You don't need to be an amazing cook to eat healthy.   I'm terrible at cooking nice, elaborate dinners but I've managed to put twenty-two pounds on over the course of six months. By no means am I a personal trainer or a weight-lifting guru.  This is also something I threw together on my own.   I had the same problem as you did.  When I got back from Afghanistan my diet turned into crap and I couldn't gain a pound even if I had a pizza eating marathon and drank bottles of pop.  It's all about the diet. 

For breakfast two packets of oat meal and six egg whites.  I buy the one dollar egg white cartons from Walmart and I get 3-4 meals out of them.
For a snack I have another 10 egg whites that I cooked the night before with a little bit of pepper or two packets of oatmeal.
For lunch I have 2 pieces of chicken breast and two cups of rice that I cooked the night before.
For supper I have two pieces of chicken breast, two cups of rice and a serving of spinach.

Switch the chicken up with pieces of cod and the packets of oatmeal with cans of tuna or beans mixed in with salsa.  None of these meals take more than 30 miniutes to make and it's very cost effective.   You can get 20 egg whites for a dollar and boxes of chicken breast are cheap at Walmart, Sobeys or M&M Meats.   

Get rid of the frozen meals, eat 5-6 small meals a day and take a look into throwing a supplement into your diet.  You don't need to drink 4L of Mammoth 2000 a day but they do help.   

On top of this lots of good fats (olive, coconut, Omega-3) and lots of milk....whole milk none of that skim or 2% stuff.  Gaining weight is a matter of calories in exceeds calories out.  Make sure that you are doing some good physical fitness (whatever works for you) as well.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Danke

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 16:35:09 »
On top of this lots of good fats (olive, coconut, Omega-3) and lots of milk....whole milk none of that skim or 2% stuff.  Gaining weight is a matter of calories in exceeds calories out.  Make sure that you are doing some good physical fitness (whatever works for you) as well.

Unfortunately, I'm lactose-intolerant. It's a recent thing; I haven't looked into solutions yet. Yogurt is fine, so I've been eating that. I'm using EA Sports Active 2 for Kinect right now for training; it's working better than I was able to by myself.

Offline armychick2009

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 16:50:13 »
If you have lactose issues, try the soy milk. It isn't as healthy as it sounds and... get the chocolate flavour! (tastes better and has a few more calories)....  Plus, it's some extra protein which I imagine is kind of what you're looking for at the moment.

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 17:11:14 »
If you have lactose issues, try the soy milk. It isn't as healthy as it sounds and... get the chocolate flavour! (tastes better and has a few more calories)....  Plus, it's some extra protein which I imagine is kind of what you're looking for at the moment.

Soy milk is not as good as the industry like to make it sound! It is heavily processed, denatured and full of sugars.  Soybeans also contain potent enzyme inhibitors. These inhibitors block uptake of trypsin and other enzymes that the body needs for protein digestion. Cooking does not get rid of them. Soybeans also contain hemagglutinin, a clot promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together and prevent them from performing their functions.  1,2

Processing into soy protein isolate removes some of these problems but not all. The high heat denatures much of the proteins, thereby making them unusable to the human body.  The same could be said for regular milk as well, however when I suggested whole milk above it is for the fats contained within not the protein(which can be largely unusable by the body). 

Remember that most of the hype surrounding the benefits of soy came from the soy industry themselves in order to sell their product. Soy is a cheap filler with minimal taste, just the kind of thing that big business likes to add to food products.

If you can't have milk that is cool, Some people thrive well on dairy some don't.   Just eat what you can with more fats.  The more natural unprocessed and sugar free it is the better it is for your body.

1http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1965.tb01831.x/abstract
2 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jat.2550090307/abstract

Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7995.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 17:33:15 »
Beer works.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Nostix

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 17:33:52 »
I put on 28 pounds in 4 months when I started strength training. For me, I was underweight at 6'4 - 175, and I wanted to fill out my frame.

I got a good workout plan that worked on my big lifts, the squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press.

As for the diet, if you're serious, you're just going to honestly need to focus on eating way more than you're used to. Don't worry about snacking 'keeping your metabolism up'. You should be eating to blow away your metabolism. I ate a meal every three hours, and was drinking about a gallon of homo milk every two days.  I'm also lactose intolerant, but at a level that I could manage by spreading my milk intake out in small amounts throughout the day, and then just sucking up the occasional gas and discomfort if I overdid it.

The bottom line is that if you struggle with putting on weight, it's going to take a serious mental shift to make any real difference. There are very few quick and easy solutions to a lifestyle change.

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 17:41:50 »
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Danke

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 17:43:49 »
Beer works awesome!

I drank beer and ate pizza all through college; didn't gain a pound :(

I guess I'll focus on eating whenever I'm not doing anything else, and stick to high-protein, high-fat stuff (while being sure to read the Canadian Food Guide to healthy eating :P )

Offline the the

• Rate Post
  • Just Visiting.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 18:15:12 »

I highly reccommend the diet plan by "TheHead". I'm using something similar coupled with a good work out routine for great results. Here it is broken up into 6 meals below;

meal 1 (breakfast)
6 eggwhites 2 yolks
3/4 cup oatmeal water or 1% milk
one scoop whey protein

meal2
can of tuna
1/2 cup rice (olive oil)

meal 3 (Lunch)
6-8oz chicken
5oz sweet potato
1/2 cup green beans
1 tbsp peanut butter

meal 4
1 can of tuna
1/2 cup rice (olive oil)
wait 1h & work out

meal 5 (after work out)
2 scoops whey, 1 gatorade

meal 6 (supper)
6-8oz sirloin or steak
large dinner salad with olive oil

Obviously, your gonna need to be creative and add some variety, however it is very good way to bulk up.
Also, as for the protien supplement I purchase mine from; http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html. Although i'm sure any supplement would do.

There is plenty of good experience and knowledge on this forum to help you out.
Work hard and keep with it.

Offline Angel52

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 04:57:09 »
1- Dump Girlfriend
2- Become a pig
3- ?
4- Profit!

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7995.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:54 »
I drank beer and ate pizza all through college; didn't gain a pound :(

You're not drinking enough of it then. ;D  If you were, you wouldn't care about your weight.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 11:53:38 »
You're not drinking enough of it then. ;D  If you were, you wouldn't care about your weight.

Or the weight of the blonde sitting across the bar eating a supersized plate of nachos
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 11:54:27 »
Ever speak with a Dietician?
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline Chilme

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 12:31:20 »
I put on 28 pounds in 4 months when I started strength training. For me, I was underweight at 6'4 - 175, and I wanted to fill out my frame.

I got a good workout plan that worked on my big lifts, the squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press.

As for the diet, if you're serious, you're just going to honestly need to focus on eating way more than you're used to. Don't worry about snacking 'keeping your metabolism up'. You should be eating to blow away your metabolism. I ate a meal every three hours, and was drinking about a gallon of homo milk every two days.  I'm also lactose intolerant, but at a level that I could manage by spreading my milk intake out in small amounts throughout the day, and then just sucking up the occasional gas and discomfort if I overdid it.

The bottom line is that if you struggle with putting on weight, it's going to take a serious mental shift to make any real difference. There are very few quick and easy solutions to a lifestyle change.

Amen!

Offline Danke

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 13:49:14 »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll continue to exercise, eat better, and get some protein supplement. I'll update this if/when I hit 130 lbs :)

Offline TheHead

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 14:21:40 »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll continue to exercise, eat better, and get some protein supplement. I'll update this if/when I hit 130 lbs :)

Goodluck and the best piece of advice given is....

Stay away from that frozen crap :P

Offline Fatalize

• Rate Post
  • 1RCHA - Ubique
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 20:02:21 »
Be ready to lose it all really quick when you get on course though :P

I was the same way before I joined, I was 6'4 175lbs and went on a diet/gym plan nearing the end of high school and got up to 205lbs. I lost 40lbs during BMQ, then got back up to 200lbs on PAT then lost 30lbs during SQ/DP1.

Depending on which course you get on, meal timings/PT/Sleep and the field can mess your goals up big time.
The best part of waking up, is ...FIRE MISSION BATTERY.

Offline Hambo

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 13:58:23 »
TS, I'm just going to put a couple ideas out here. There have been some great suggestions in this thread already.

- Eat the whole egg. I see some recommendations of just whites or a certain number of whites and certain number of yolks. Eat the whole egg.

- Snack on calorically dense foods. One great snack food is almonds.

- Drink whole milk. You say you are lactose intolerant. Isn't there medication you can get to make you tolerate it better? I've read posts by people who are LI still drinking a ton of homogenized milk.

- If your favorite appliance isn't your blender, it should be. Shakes are the easiest way to get a ton of calories down with feeling like you've just forced your way through a 10 course meal. Homogenized milk, yogurt, olive oil, powdered milk, oats, ice cream, fruit, a scoop of protein and maybe even those left over veggies from last night. Couple that with a handful of almonds and you're set.

- Eat everything. You weigh 125 lbs. Please do not be concerned about eating clean or getting fat. Eat when you should and when you know you have to, not when you feel like it. I rarely get hungry anymore. I just eat. You know why those kids in the gym who say they're trying to get bigger and say they "just can't" even though they "eat so much/everything/all the time" don't get bigger? Because they aren't eating enough.

- Personally, I try and eat every four hours. I'm not sure why, to be honest. I read it somewhere and it just makes sense because that seems to be about the point I start getting hungry. I'm not sure if there's any significance, physiologically speaking.

Of course, all of the above is contingent on your lifting weights. That alone will increase your appetite. Also (obviously) if you want to get bigger, you need to lift weights. Body weight exercises won't cut it. You say "exercise" never worked for you before. What were you doing? Were you lifting weights? What did your program look like? Were you consistent? Although if you're doing it right, you should start to see results quite quickly, getting big and strong doesn't take weeks or months. It takes years.

You say you'll update us when you hit 130 lbs. If you're doing it right with the lifting and eating, you should be updating us in about 1-2 weeks.

If you're serious about getting bigger and stronger, it will take commitment and consistency. Without one of those components, the wheels will fall of and you will get no where. That's just the way it goes.

People will always tell you what you should be eating with regards to your macro ratio and all that garbage. They will also attempt push the latest Muscle Mag routine written by some idiot in a cubicle on you, or explain how it's the best thing ever and how you should try it. You combat this by educating yourself, knowing what's right and going out and getting the results.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 16:11:52 by Hambo »
Yes you all guessed right. I've already been banned as 'Kratos' because only I know the secret of fitness and you should only listen to me.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Listen LS, you have been banned once then came back and lied to all of us while whining because I used your real name so have some integrity and stay away.
                Bruce [real name]

Offline Jc066

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 17:59:56 »
The best way to put on weight is, by far using a GOMAD and heavy lifting approach. GOMAD ( Gallon of Milk a day) plus normal meals will put serious pounds on! I used it and put on 12lbs in 11days. I did stop b/c I was sick of milk but continued through with the rest of my squat program.

That is the other point: The human body responds to the stress put upon it. You have to drop the heavy cardio volume and focus on moving lots of Iron. Now, I didn't say STOP running or biking or swimming, just use it to get a sweat on/get the heart rate up etc.

Someone mentioned Starting Strength and I am 110% for this! Linear progression works awesome and this is what you need. If you are not interested in a full program there are others that can get you there, BUT the squatting is key! Doing bench&bi's the whole time leaves you pretty nonfunctional. Squatting will transfer over to important things like ruck marches and section attacks more than the B&B( although running will suck for a bit after finishing). Google Russian squat program, when I used it I added 40lbs to my back squat which was well over the 5%( almost 9% for me) the program is designed for.

You said you are Lactose intolerant? Tough cookie but ways around it; 1) there is Lactose-free milk out there that will get you the extra calories that you need. Can't do it with the werido-milk? next step in whole coconut milk! Don't know how much a gallon of coconut milk will cost but it has lots of good fats, high calorie and tastes good. The last step would be synthetic proteins; the stuff that is powdered for you, easily mixes etc.
This is IMHO. What works for me might not work for you. Try it and find out!
JC

Let's all work together and help stamp out Fixed wing!