Author Topic: M/Cpl Vernelli, Cpl Tyler Crooks, Trooper Bouthillier,Trooper Hayes- RIP  (Read 40533 times)

Offline Big Foot

• Rate Post
  • Muda, mura, and muri everywhere I look...
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/National/2009/03/20/8828541.html

Fri, March 20, 2009
Four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan
UPDATED: 2009-03-20 13:53:03 MST

By Grant LaFleche, SUN MEDIA

Four Canadian soldiers were killed in Afghanistan yesterday.
Port Colborne resident Cpl. Tyler Crooks, 24, was killed sometime Thursday. He was based out of CFB Petawawa and had been in Afghanistan since the fall.

Crooks and three other Canadian soldiers were killed Thursday in Helmand province by a roadside bomb.

No information has yet been released about the circumstances of their deaths.

Crook's family declined to comment Friday afternoon but are expected to make a statement through the military Saturday afternoon.

This latest casualty marks the third Niagara resident killed in the war-torn country.

St. Catharines Lincoln and Welland Regiment member Warrant Officer Dennis Brown, 38, was killed March 3 in Afghanistan along with two other

Canadian soldiers when their armoured vehicle was struck by a roadside bomb northwest of Kandahar.

Cpl. Albert Storm, 36, of Niagara Falls died Nov. 27, 2006, after a suicide bomber attack.

He was a member of the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, out of Petawawa.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 21:16:08 by Bruce Monkhouse »
It's not insubordinate if you know exactly where the line is and walk on it but never cross it.

Offline Lil_T

• Make the DRMIS go away....
  • Rate Post
  • Non-compliance will be met with brute force.
Re: Four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan - 20 Mar 09
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 16:03:15 »
Oh man.  I had a feeling.

RIP Soldiers. :salute:  Deepest condolences to the families and loved ones.

Speedy recovery to the injured.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 18:21:20 by Lil_T »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 16:07:39 »
I can't find any ref to the above on CBC or CTV.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Snakedoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 16:15:37 »
sad...sad, RIP soldiers

Offline kratz

Back into the Fall routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 16:16:07 »
I could not find it on CBC or CTV yet either, so I went to Google News. They are showing Sun Media and Canoe.ca are now carrying the story as of 36min ago.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 16:22:41 »
I could not find it on CBC or CTV yet either, so I went to Google News. They are showing Sun Media and Canoe.ca are now carrying the story as of 36min ago.

Sun Media and Canoe.ca are both subsidiaries of Quebecor Media.

Offline Big Foot

• Rate Post
  • Muda, mura, and muri everywhere I look...
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 16:24:51 »
I strongly suspect that someone leaked this, if this report is at all accurate, though I hope it isn't...
It's not insubordinate if you know exactly where the line is and walk on it but never cross it.

Offline Franky

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 16:29:33 »
I heard this morning that 2 died on impact the other 2 in hospital...May you rest easy now soldiers, your work is done, it is now up to us to never forget you...

My sincerest condolences to family, friends and comrades..I know you are all taking this hard, may we share in your pain to lesson your burden just a bit.

We will remember you.  Thank you.

Offline 40below

• Rate Post
  • W.O.G. who is not required to defend the airfield
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 16:31:35 »
I strongly suspect that someone leaked this, if this report is at all accurate, though I hope it isn't...

Nobody "leaked" it, the comms lockdown is just being lifted after being imposed last night. Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli is the second to be named.

Offline 40below

• Rate Post

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 16:35:31 »
Umm.... can we wait until the offical news releases have been released through CEFCOM and National Defence.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 16:50:51 »
CEFCOM will be speaking soon, so far it's the family who are making statements to the media.
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 16:51:50 »
Nobody "leaked" it, the comms lockdown is just being lifted after being imposed last night. Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli is the second to be named.

From DND's perspective, it's leaked because they did not release it.  There are always reasons why this take longer than first thought - often it's next-of-kin notification that is ongoing - so now, everyone with family deployed will worry.  If NoK notification is completed, families don't have that worry.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 16:53:39 »
Its live on CBC NEWSWORLD now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 16:59:35 by NFLD Sapper »
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 17:00:09 »
Scotty was a hell of a guy! I will miss him.  :'(
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline 40below

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 17:02:41 »

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 17:03:59 »
Updated Fri. Mar. 20 2009 5:06 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Four Canadian soldiers have been killed and another eight injured in Afghanistan in two separate improvised explosive attacks.

The dead have been identified as: Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli, Cpl. Tyler Crooks, Trooper Jack Bouthillier and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes.

Vernelli and Crooks died in an early morning blast while on foot patrol in the Zhari district west of Kandahar. Another five soldiers were injured in that attack.

Bouthillier and Hayes were killed later in a roadside bomb attack egich occurred in the Shah Wali Kot district.

Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, the commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, urged Canadians in a statement to not consider the deaths a failure of any particular person or the mission.

He said the soldiers died protecting the Afghan people.

The deaths bring the total number of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan to 116.

More details to follow.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 17:08:54 by NFLD Sapper »
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 17:05:41 »
4 Canadian soldiers killed, 12 injured in roadside attacks
Last Updated: Friday, March 20, 2009 | 5:00 PM ET
The Canadian Press

Four Canadian soldiers are dead and at least eight others injured in two separate bombings outside of Kandahar city, military officials said Friday.

Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli and Cpl. Tyler Crooks died in a blast that occurred during a morning foot patrol in the restive Zhari district west of Kandahar.

Later, Trooper Jack Bouthillier and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes were killed when a roadside bomb exploded in the Shah Wali Kot district, a region northwest of the city that's seeing an increase in Taliban activity.

Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, the commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, is urging Canadians not to consider the deaths a failure on the part of anyone, or of the mission itself.

The latest deaths bring the number of Canadian military fatalities in Afghanistan to 116 since Canada's combat mission there began in 2002. One diplomat and two aid workers have also been killed.

There are 2,830 Canadian troops serving at Kandahar Airfield and Camp Nathan Smith, the home of the Provincial Reconstruction Team in Kandahar city.

More to come
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline trencher

• Rate Post
  • Digger
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 17:29:35 »
R.I.P

I just heard there was 12 injured

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 17:32:36 »
RIP soldiers.  :salute:

Thoughts and prayers to the families, friends and comrades of the fallen and a fast and full recovery to the injured.

Offline patriot1112

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 17:33:50 »
4 VSA and 12 injured... definately not a great day.

RIP brothers we will never forget :salute: :cdn:

Offline Civvymedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 17:43:11 »
My thoughts to the families,friends, and colleagues of these 4.  :cdn:

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 17:46:25 »
Updated Fri. Mar. 20 2009 5:34 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Four Canadian soldiers were killed and another eight injured in Afghanistan Friday in two separate improvised explosive attacks.

The dead have been identified as: Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli, 28,  Cpl. Tyler Crooks, 24,  Trooper Jack Bouthillier, 20, and  Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes, 22.

Vernelli and Crooks died in an early morning blast at about 6:45 a.m. local time while on foot patrol in the Zhari district west of Kandahar. Another five Canadian soldiers were injured in that attack and a local interpreter was killed.

Bouthillier and Hayes were killed about two hours later when their vehicle was struck by a roadside bomb attack in the Shah Wali Kot district, about 20 kilometres northeast of Kandahar city. Three other Canadians were injured.

All the deaths occurred as the Canadians were taking part in a major operation attacking Taliban command centres and supply lines.

All the wounded soldiers were evacuated by helicopter and are listed in stable condition.

Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, the commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, urged Canadians in a statement to not consider the deaths a failure of any particular person or the mission.

"Success in war is costly. We are determined to succeed so that Afghan lives improve, but the insurgents are equally determined to challenge and prevent Afghanistan from flourishing as the nation it so wants to be. Remember, the deaths of these superb Canadians occurred as Canadian Forces were bringing safety to those in peril. Today, they succeeded," he said.

Vance added that the soldiers died protecting the Afghan people.

All of the soldiers were based out of CFB Petawawa.

Vernelli was described as an experienced and well-respected soldier. He is survived by his spouse and six-month-old daughter.

Crooks was described as a keen soldier, an excellent athlete and "would do anything for you without even being asked."

Both Vernelli and Crooks were of November Company, 3rd Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment.

Bouthillier was known for his sense of humour, Vance said, and practiced martial arts.

Hayes was a "proud and dedicated soldier . . . who stood up for what was right," Vance said.

Both Bouthillier and Hayes were of the Royal Canadian Dragoons.

The deaths bring the total number of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan to 116.

CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 17:48:17 »
4 Canadian soldiers killed, 8 injured in Kandahar roadside attacks
Last Updated: Friday, March 20, 2009 | 5:43 PM ET
CBC News

Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli (right) and another soldier set up a defensive position during an assault on a Taliban command centre in Zhari District Afghanistan on March 7, 2009. Vernelli was one of four Canadian soldiers killed Friday in two separate bombings outside of Kandahar city. (Murray Brewster/Canadian Press)

Four Canadian soldiers were killed and eight others injured in two separate bombings outside Kandahar City on Friday, military officials said.

Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli and Cpl. Tyler Crooks died when an improvised explosive device blew up near their patrol in the Zhari district, about 40 kilometres west of Kandahar. The incident happened about 6:45 a.m. local time, said Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance during a news conference in Kandahar.

Trooper Jack Bouthillier and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes were killed when their vehicle struck a roadside bomb around 8:45 a.m. local time in the Shah Wali Kot district, a region about 20 km northwest of the city that's seeing an increase in Taliban activity.

All of the injured soldiers are in stable condition in Kandahar and were able to call their families, said Vance, the commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

"Please do not think of these incidents as a failure on the part of any person or the mission itself," said Vance.

"These wonderful Canadian men were, at the moment of their deaths, engaged directly in the continuing work to keep the insurgency sufficiently at bay to ensure safety for the population and to preserve our ability to meet the objectives of the Afghans, the international community, and the government of Canada," he said.

"And those objectives are intended to meet the needs of a desperate afghan population. Success in war is costly."

Canadian military fatalities now up to 116
Vance described Vernelli, 28 and married with a six-month-old daughter, as "an enthusiastic and dedicated father."

"He was a terrific athlete, very funny, and ironically enough always able to joke at the worst of times."

Crooks, 24, was a keen and motivated soldier who "loved dirt-biking and was a Texas Hold 'em card shark," Vance said.

"He's remembered by his friends as the kind of guy who would do anything for you without even being asked."

Vance said Bouthillier, 20, was a joker who always had everyone laughing. "His enthusiasm and his unswerving duty for work inspired other soldiers."

Hayes, 22, "was a proud and dedicated soldier who always put his friends and family before himself," Vance said.

"His friends remember him not only as a friend and a comrade-in-arms, but a brother who Inspired them to stand up in the face of danger and do what was right."

The latest deaths bring the number of Canadian military fatalities in Afghanistan to 116 since Canada's combat mission there began in 2002. One diplomat and two aid workers have also been killed.

There are 2,830 Canadian troops serving at Kandahar Airfield and Camp Nathan Smith, the home of the Provincial Reconstruction Team in Kandahar city.

With files from the Canadian Press
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline smittymed

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 17:55:12 »
My thoughts and prayers to the families and Regiments involved.
PRO PATRIA.
"Strength and Honour"