Author Topic: Two Arab Canadians Killled in Predator Strike  (Read 11561 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Two Arab Canadians Killled in Predator Strike
« on: August 31, 2008, 17:31:38 »
Five killed in al Qaeda safe house strike in South Waziristan

By Bill RoggioAugust 31, 2008 12:18 AM

The US has targeted another al Qaeda safe house in South Waziristan, according to reports from Pakistan.

At least five al Qaeda operatives were reported killed in the attack, which appears to have been launched by unmanned Predator aircraft hovering over the area. "Two Canadians of Arab origin" were among those killed. Two Punjabis were reported wounded.

The strike was targeted at the home of Noor Khan Wazir in the Korzai region near Wana. The home was recently rented to "foreigners."

The region is controlled by Mullah Nazir, a rival of Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud. Nazir is often described as a "pro-government" Taliban leader as he does not advocate overthrowing the Pakistani government and ejected Uzbeks from the al Qaeda-allied Islamic Jihad Union from the Wana region in 2007.

But Nazir openly supports al Qaeda and its leadership, and admitted he would provide shelter to senior al Qaeda leaders. "How can I say no to any request from Osama bin Laden or Mullah Omar under tribal traditions, if they approach me to get shelter?" Nazir asked the Pakistani press in the spring of 2007.

Arab al Qaeda operatives help finance Nazir’s operations. He also openly supports the continuation of the jihad in Afghanistan and vowed to provide fighters to support the Taliban.

US steps up attacks on al Qaeda's havens in Pakistan's tribal areas

The US has dramatically increased the attack tempo against Taliban and al Qaeda safe havens in Pakistan. Ten camps and safe houses were confirmed to have been targeted by the US military in 2006 and 2007. The Wana attack is the eighth confirmed US strike on al Qaeda and Taliban safe houses and camps in Pakistan this year.

Three of the attacks have taken place in South Waziristan, three have occurred in North Waziristan, and two occurred in Bajaur. The last attack occurred against an al Qaeda safe house near Wana on Aug. 20.

Three senior al Qaeda commanders have been killed in this year's strikes.

The US military killed Abu Khabab al Masri during a targeted strike on an al Qaeda safe house in the village of Zeralita in the Azam Warsak region of South Waziristan on July 28. Khabab was al Qaeda's chief bomb maker and headed its chemical and biological weapons programs.

On May 14, a US airstrike killed Abu Sulayman Jazairi along with 13 associates, in an attack against a Taliban and al Qaeda safe house in the town of Damadola in Pakistan’s Bajaur tribal agency. Jazairi was a senior Algerian operative for al Qaeda’s central organization who directed the group’s external operations. He is described as a senior trainer, an explosives expert, and an operational commander tasked with planning attacks on the West.

Abu Laith al Libi was killed in a US strike inside the North Waziristan tribal agency in Pakistan in late January. Al Libi was the leader of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group and served as a chief spokesman for al Qaeda. Al Libi also commanded al Qaeda forces in Afghanistan.

Pakistani sources have put out false reports of the death of three senior al Qaeda and Taliban leaders this summer. Ayman al Zawahiri, al Qaeda's second in command, was rumored to have been killed in the South Waziristan strike that killed Khabab. Zawahiri appeared on a videotape a week later urging Pakistanis to fight the government.

The Pakistani military speculated that Faqir Mohammed, the Taliban emir, or leader in Bajaur and the deputy leader of the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, was killed during fighting against Pakistani forces in the tribal agency on Aug. 15. Faqir later spoke to a Pakistani television station.

Mustafa Abu Yazid, al Qaeda's commander in Afghanistan, was also reported killed during the heavy fighting in Bajaur last week. Al Qaeda never confirmed Yazid's death, and the Pakistani military and intelligence agencies never presented evidence he was killed. Yazid is featured in a new al Qaeda propaganda tape.

While the strikes have disrupted al Qaeda's senior leadership, they have done little to disrupt the growth of al Qaeda and the Taliban in northwestern Pakistan.

The Taliban, al Qaeda, and allied terrorist groups have established 157 training camps and more than 400 support locations in the tribal areas and the Northwest Frontier Province, US intelligence officials have told The Long War Journal.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...d_after_al.php

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Two Arab Canadians Killled in Predator Strike
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 17:42:27 »
This might prove interesting.  I am waiting for the follow up investigation/confirmation of these two Canadians.  Who are they?  Are they immigrants or naturally born Canadians?  What region/city in Canada are they from?  What are their families views/comments?  Are they linked in any way to other 'know' sympathizers in Canada? 

A lot of questions to ask, if these two really are holding Canadian passports.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 17:47:13 »
I agree it will be interesting to see if they were home grown,immigrants or just holding fake passports.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 17:48:20 »
Valid passports ... and "innocents who were just over there visiting relatives" ...

That's my call.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 17:57:32 »
I agree it will be interesting to see if they were home grown,immigrants or just holding fake passports.

I'd guess immigrants with valid passports, that don't live in Canada, just use us as a country of convince  ::)
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Offline gun runner

• Rate Post
  • Strike hard, fade fast, leave them guessing.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 21:26:09 »
Gee, where have we heard that comment recently? I wonder how many more "citizens" of ours we have fighting against our boys and girls in Aghanistan? As a country we really need to step up our immigration policies. But, yes this will be one to watch to see the exact region these Canadians come from..and why they were injured in an enemy safe house. Ubique
Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Sir Winston Churchill.

The only thing for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is watching the snow melt...

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 21:28:26 »
I'm sure it was just a wedding party............
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 21:48:17 »
....and that's what one gets for crashing the party?
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 22:09:31 »
Happy friends, hope I am not too fresh by saying, the Canadian welfare system has just been lightened by two 'dole bludgers' who won't be recieiving their cheques anymore.

;D

Or two less AHs in the world.

Regards from the first day of spring here in Australia (01 Sep 08),

OWDU
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

aesop081

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 22:10:45 »

Damned you and your oposite land..........

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 00:00:10 »
I wonder if any of the passports used to belong to the Khadr family!
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 00:19:34 »
Oh boy. The CBC readership is gonna go ape when this breaks.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 00:26:22 »
If it breaks....
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 00:32:41 »
If it breaks....

Two people with Canadian citizenship getting blown up by the Americans in Pakistan? I'd be very surprised if it doesn't. They're probably just waiting for confirmation of nationality.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 00:35:55 »
I'm sure CSIS and the RCMP are waiting for confirmation and start the drag netting.

Jack will scream bloody murder and it'll make headlines.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 07:04:08 »
Two people with Canadian citizenship getting blown up by the Americans in Pakistan? I'd be very surprised if it doesn't. They're probably just waiting for confirmation of nationality.

And also waiting for videotaped statements from all those others who attended the "wedding" to be uploaded ...
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 08:21:52 »

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 08:32:26 »
Interestingly,

A googlesearch by me this morning has me finding mention of this only here on this site and in the Charlottetown Guardian:

Five killed in al Qaeda safe house strike in South Waziristan

By Bill RoggioAugust 31, 2008 12:18 AM
The US has targeted another al Qaeda safe house in South Waziristan, according to reports from Pakistan.

At least five al Qaeda operatives were reported killed in the attack, which appears to have been launched by unmanned Predator aircraft hovering over the area. "Two Canadians of Arab origin" were among those killed. Two Punjabis were reported wounded.

The strike was targeted at the home of Noor Khan Wazir in the Korzai region near Wana. The home was recently rented to "foreigners."

Come on MSM --- where the hell is this news?? It's day 2 already.  ::)
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 08:47:02 »
Come on MSM --- where the hell is this news?? It's day 2 already.  ::)

Don't hold your breath, Vern - it took them two weeks to go from this:
http://www.nato.int/isaf/docu/pressreleases/2008/08-august/pr080814-390.html

to this
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080831/national/afghan_cda_tourniquets

and I'm STILL waiting to read/see/hear something about this:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,71494.0/all.html

But wait - when they find out they can play the "bad American" card on the PAK story, they'll be all over it like stinky on a junkyard dog!  ::)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 08:51:31 »
We should start a "Coundown" page - actually moreso a "Countup" page where Mike puts a little ticker clock onto the site that ticks away the days/hours/minutes until they decide that traitors are worth reporting about ... is it possible to set an electronic clock for "infinty"??  ::)
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 08:53:09 »
Good one - a sort-of "We Beat MSM to the First Word by XXXX Days/Months" clock....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 08:55:36 »
Good one - a sort-of "We Beat MSM to the First Word by XXXX Days/Months" clock....

I think they call that a "Scoop" ...

Unfortunately, these days, only the pooper-scooper seems to be applicable to MSM coverage so feareth they that they may offend the left ... oh wait a minute ... they ARE the driving force of misinformation and biased reporting FOR left. Forgot about that little tidbit.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline greentoblue

• Rate Post
Report: Two "Arab Canadians" Killed in Missile Strike???
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 23:53:05 »
I tracked this report from Long War Journal to some website called "Dawn":

WANA, Aug 30: Four people, including two Canadians of Arab origin, were killed and two other people injured when a missile reportedly fired from Afghanistan hit a house in the Korzai area of South Waziristan on Saturday.

http://www.dawn.com/2008/08/31/top3.htm
----

Anybody see anything else about this?

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Report: Two "Arab Canadians" Killed in Missile Strike???
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 23:54:22 »
there is already a thread on this

Edited to add: Holy Crap you guys work fast  :cheers:
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Requiescat in Pace
    • Canadian ASL Open
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 07:19:09 »

Did equinox come early this year?