Author Topic: Response's To "Ruxted On The Media's Handling Of Cpl. Boneca's Death"  (Read 75078 times)

Offline The Ruxted Group

• Exploring Defence Issues
  • Rate Post
    • The Ruxted Group
Please post responses from HERE
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 13:51:27 by Bruce Monkhouse »

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
+1

Well put
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
I think the editorial sums up most people's feelings on this site. How we individually express our feelings, is accurately portrayed in the Editorial.  :salute:  :cdn:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Kal

• The Nintendo Sniper
  • Rate Post
  • Relax, you'll live longer..
Well written.

My quarrel is not with the family, this just may be there way of accepting and grieving of their loss.  My quarrel is with with the media for profiting off a very controversial story of a soldier who can no longer defend himself and his words.
Maybe you'll understand one day.  I hope you survive it...

'Uh, you mean cottonballs?'  "Dude, wtf, OPSEC..."

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
That pretty much says it all.

Good work as per normal.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
Cpl Boneca was serving his second tour in support of the mission to Afghanistan. This tells me that this fine soldier felt strongly enough about the mission, that he believed his service to the people of Afghanistan was sufficiently worthwhile, that he volunteered twice for hazardous duty. Hardly the actions of a man who felt he was being mistreated, or that he was duped. We may never know how Cpl Boneca truly felt. But, regardless of Cpl Boneca's personal feelings towards the end of his second tour, he died in the service of his nation. He died a soldier doing his duty, trying to make a difference in a foreign country, and thereby, make his own safer. He died a hero. His memory must be honoured, his sacrifice never forgotten, his life celebrated.

I  hope that in future, upon reading this thread and the editorial that spawned it, the media will give more consideration to simple, common decency and less towards sensationalism for political reasons, or to sell advertising space. Careless and callous articles, such as those being bandied about by these vultures, merely add to a fallen soldier’s family's already sizeable grief. Those that seek to score political points, or to improve their marketing or publicity, on the death of a soldier should be ashamed of themselves as they tarnish the sacrifice of a brave Canadian soldier.

The media’s current feeding-frenzy of speculation is akin to that of jackals over carrion, and it is despicable. I would ask that the media cease this unbecoming behaviour, and allow Cpl Boneca's family, friends, and fellow service members to grieve over the loss of their loved one in peace, and to stop using the loss of a fine soldier to fuel what appears to be an attempt to further a political agenda.

For shame.
...time to cull the herd.

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
A post at "The Torch":

" Death in Afghanistan: The media scent blood"
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/07/death-in-afghanistan-media-scent-blood.html

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Too bad.  You know, this soldier died in service of his country.  The media turning this into a political or sensational piece is disgusting.  Even if he was disillusioned with his tour, even if he was unhappy with the military he earned the right to make that call.  He was there, doing his job as a soldier and made the ultimate sacrifice.  That should be the focus.  His life as a soldier and the deeds he did, not what he might have said, or more ,what the media says he might have said.

Optio

Offline annonymous1

• Rate Post
 :salute:
corporal boneca will forever be a hero, to the people that knew him and loved him, as well as to his country -  regardless of the media circus surrounding his tragic demise. those who knew tony ( i am one of those fortunate souls that did know him) knew very well months ago that going to afghanistan was something he felt he had to do. we also knew it was to be his last tour.........but he felt that this last tour was extremely important and extremely neccessary. the bottom line is that tony WANTED to do this.....and he knew the risks involved. the media has been harping about canadian troops being involved from the get go, and it is very unfortunate that they don't possess the simple human decency of letting tony's family, and his girlfriend and her family grieve. how dare they use this tragedy to fuel their fire?? it almost makes me ashamed to be canadian. tony was an incredible human being. he did not need to wear any kind of uniform to be a hero.............he already was one to many people. that he chose to serve his country in this way only amplifies that. tony will be sorely missed, but forever in our hearts.

Offline silentbutdeadly

• Rate Post
i think alot of the soldiers have the same feelings , and most of you hear don't hear about the truth of whats going on! i just seen the news about what he said to his parents and you know what alot of guys have the same feeling. I Do! and thats why i am home! i feel so said for the Cpl its unreally that if he was given the chance to go home and he was not given permission and now hes dead! makes me wonder how certain people can sleep with themselves at night!

Offline silentbutdeadly

• Rate Post
and if you need a eyewitness account i will be glad to tell the truth!

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
and if you need a eyewitness account i will be glad to tell the truth!

About?
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline silentbutdeadly

• Rate Post
What do you Need to know? Since people need another persons account of whats wrong over there? You ask the question and i will answer.

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
i think alot of the soldiers have the same feelings , and most of you hear don't hear about the truth of whats going on! i just seen the news about what he said to his parents and you know what alot of guys have the same feeling. I Do! and thats why i am home! i feel so said for the Cpl its unreally that if he was given the chance to go home and he was not given permission and now hes dead! makes me wonder how certain people can sleep with themselves at night!

Did you get sent home?

Offline silentbutdeadly

• Rate Post
i got sent home due to Combat Stress , when your not sleeping for like 6 days str8 because your out in the hills for 35 days on 3 days off. i was told to go in to camp and then send home

Offline LCIS-Tech

• Rate Post
  • "Velox, Versutus, Vigilans"
Look: This young soldier was what? 21? Well OF COURSE he was sick and tired of being away from home. For crying out loud, he was 21! OF COURSE he wanted to get the hell out of there. I can tell you that there is probably not a soldier alive who, when in the "wind-down" of a deployment, can't wait to get home to their family and friends (it always seems like forever, when there are only a couple of weeks left). Yet the media seems to take this as something new? They are taking this (his "alleged" statements) completely entire this out of context (assuming that they were accurately reported). In my opinion that young lad sounded like every other soldier I have seen on deployment in that he just wanted to get his tour over and done with, and get back to the land of beer and pizza. The media however, assumes "what he really meant was......." blah, blah, blah....

I guess some news agencies will always pick and choose what they report, and how they will report it, in order to put their own personal slant on things.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 20:28:20 by LCIS-Tech »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
I really enjoy the Ruxted articles. They write almost as well as I do :)

With regards to what this guy may have said, you know what people talk crap.  People have bad days and bad weeks and they ***** about it. The number one way to get ride of stress is bitching about whats going on. Sometimes it's meaningful, most of the time it isn't.

If I was living in the mountians for 5 months eating rations smelling stinky guys dodging scorpians I'd say a LOT of stuff I don't mean.  My heart goes out to the family. Rehashing some of what this soldier said to the media was probably a bad idea. (No, it was) but like it was mentioned, who can blame them. God forbid if the media get anywhere near my dad!

I'm certain this soldier would have been home for all of 5 minutes before missing his brothers and wishing he was back with them.
People talk crap when their stressed and they vent.  "Don't mean nothing"

Edit: Sorry to hear you bad a bad go. You're obviously in a great position to comment on the situation. You must agree how messed up things would become if we sent guys home on will?  It's unfortinuate our guys (you guys) have to stay even when all you want to do is come home but if you guys weren't out in the crap keeping the enemy away from the gates whos going to stop them from comming through them?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 20:34:47 by Ghost778 »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
i got sent home due to Combat Stress , when your not sleeping for like 6 days str8 because your out in the hills for 35 days on 3 days off. i was told to go in to camp and then send home

I remember you now. I hear you had a tough go of things. Welcome home, and thank you for great work. Try and relax, okay?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
..... Yet the media seems to take this as something new? They are taking this (his "alleged" statements) completely entire this out of context (assuming that they were accurately reported). In my opinion that young lad sounded like every other soldier I have seen on deployment in that he just wanted to get his tour over and done with, and get back to the land of beer and pizza. The media however, assumes "what he really meant was......." blah, blah, blah....
I guess some news agencies will always pick and choose what they report, and how they will report it, in order to put their own personal slant on things.

First off, they are not reporting what "He Said", they are reporting what "His Girlfriend's FATHER Said".  A whole different ballgame there.  It is Third Hand or even Fourth Hand "Speculation" which would be unbelievable in all other circles.  Please pay attention to detail.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
First off, they are not reporting what "He Said", they are reporting what "His Girlfriend's FATHER Said". 

Exactly!

i just had a phone interview with a newspaper. Went well, very nice guy.  I refused to give my exact departure date citing security reasons whch seemed to annoy him somewhat. Asked if he could call my parents, I said sure. He turned around and asked them for my departure date knowing full well I didn't want it to be known.

If the media don't get what they want from you they will find someone who will give it to them.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
People talk crap when their stressed and they vent.  "Don't mean nothing"

And that statement is as valid today, as was when we used it 30+ years ago in similar situations. I daresay people said something very similar, if not the same, 200 years ago....it's how the stress is dealt with
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Ghost778 - you got it zackly right about reporters continuing until they get what they want.  In future, don't be shy about calling his boss, and saying how well it went except for the little detail about when yer leaving.  Maybe I'm naive, but maybe it'll help (although I've had worse mistakes ignored).

You can also see it in the line of questioning on the live interviews on Newsworld - "How did he seem to feel about the mission?", "What did he tell you about what he was seeing, compared to what he expected?"  Once part of the herd goes one way, the rest of the herd follows.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 20:54:09 by milnewstbay »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline LCIS-Tech

• Rate Post
  • "Velox, Versutus, Vigilans"
First off, they are not reporting what "He Said", they are reporting what "His Girlfriend's FATHER Said".  A whole different ballgame there.  It is Third Hand or even Fourth Hand "Speculation" which would be unbelievable in all other circles.  Please pay attention to detail.

umm...thus the "allegedly said" comment. Read the entire post.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -3625.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
And that statement is as valid today, as was when we used it 30+ years ago in similar situations. I daresay people said something very similar, if not the same, 200 years ago....it's how the stress is dealt with

I dare say further back than that.

"Odi et amo, quare id facere forasse requiris...Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Echo9

• Rate Post
I was on the treadmill this morning and saw this segment on CBC Wallyworld.  My immediate reaction was one of despair- for our civilization as we know it.  I know, melodramatic, but bear me out.

We have a situation here where a good man is killed in service of his country.  Before he is even in the ground, there's the canned peacenik response- support our troops! bring them home!  dishonour their sacrifice and declare it for naught! (OK, so I added the last part)

Look, Afghanistan is not a clean mission.  We could do everything there perfectly and still not achieve the lasting legacy that we want.  I've seen interesting posts over the past few days that ironically Iraq's mid term future is likely to be much rosier, since there's at least the potential for civilized society.  Anyway, point is, reasonable people can argue about the Afghan mission from a strategic perspective.  

What you can't argue about is the prospects for what would happen following a hasty Canadian withdrawal.  Two scenarios here (too brief, but you get the idea):
1.  We leave along with the rest of the west, and Afghanistan reverts to being the armpit of the world as it has been for the last few centuries.  We end up needing to go back in a decade or two to break some things again.
2.  We leave but the rest of NATO stays.  Canada loses any pull with any future NATO decisions.

Where my dismay comes from is that a mere 2 generations ago, Canada stood firm against fascism.  We lost more soldiers on the average day than we have lost for the entire Afghan mission (or likely will).  And this lasted for over a year.  Average canadians on the street understood that sometimes, you have to be willing to sacrifice in order to maintain your way of life.  Understood that when being stared down by a bully you fight back- particularly when that bully is really a 98 pound weakling.

I'm not sure that Canadians understand that anymore.  Sure, most of the people visiting this board do, but I think that you'd be hard pressed to get over 10% of the population that really understands this.  And that's why I think that our society has a death wish- if it's not the islamofascists, it will be the next gang that understands that we've gotten too soft to stand up for ourselves with anything stronger than talk.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
Sir Winston Churchill