Author Topic: Canadian Navy Heritage Project  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Atrian42

• Rate Post
Canadian Navy Heritage Project
« on: October 03, 2012, 19:41:04 »
The Canadian Navy Heritage Project, aka "Project Pride" which resided on a federal government server, http://www.navy.gc.ca/project_pride has gone dark. This website contained a rich array of technical information about Canadian naval ships, especially those active during WWII. Does anyone know what is its status? Will it be revived here or somewhere else.

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
Re: Canadian Navy Heritage Project
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:44:22 »
I sent your query to Dr Gimblett's EA and here is the response:

Hey Pat

As the Government initiated the Common Look and Feel 3.0, the Project Pride website did not conform to the new guidelines and regulations for a government internet site and needed to be taken offline.  DNHH will be creating a new website which will probably go online late 2013 or early 2014.  The delays are due to the wide sweeping changes that address accessibility to information for those that may have disabilities.  They are also looking at implementing a new web development tool that will make loading information on the web easier and faster for the web developers. 

Yours aye

Dean

All this said, I am not sure why the 'old' couldn't be grandfathered until the 'new' was available. I notice too some of the ship's websites are 'down' while they are being translated. I am sure there is a provision to leave the site up until the translation is done as there are a few 'english only' ship/unit websites out there.
I know this was not what you wanted to hear if you were looking for research material but there are some very reliable (and way too many unreliable!) sources on line. If you are looking for anything specific, PM me and I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Pat
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 13:52:06 »
Ah yes, common look, common feel and common suck. Considering the fiscal crisis we are in, what a waste of money.

Offline bridges

• Rate Post
  • Servitium Nulli Secundus
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 16:00:48 »
Not sure if this is what RCN/DNHH encountered, specifically, but part of the accessibility issue has been that the "reading" machines for visually impaired people can't cope with two different languages on the same page, so any document in the old side-by-side format has had to be taken down.  That's why many CF pubs, for example, are no longer aval on the forces.gc.ca site until they can be reformatted - a considerable time commitment.

In the name of accessibility, there is a net loss of information to everyone.  The wisdom of this is perhaps debatable.... but at least we are treating everyone equally:  No information for YOU!    >:D

"Only a person of liberal mind is entitled to exercise coercion over others in a society of free men."   -General Sir John Winthrop Hackett, GCB, CBE, DSO & Bar, MC

Offline Snakedoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 15:07:57 »
Yeah it is odd that the old site couldn't be left up until the new one is working so that people can still access the information...