Author Topic: BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]  (Read 625879 times)

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]
« Reply #425 on: January 06, 2013, 18:39:06 »
I think you're the prime example of someone who has planned and thought this career choice through.  I think what most people on here are trying to articulate is that BMQ/BMOQ is a tool to measure one's suitability in a military environment.  If you cannot handle being incommunicado for the 5 week indoctrination  period, what will you do when its 5 months and you don't know if your spouse is alive or dead.  I commend you for preparing yourself and your family for the worst case scenario and for the sometimes hard military life.  It sounds like you have a great support system and I just wish more people thought like you, then maybe we'd have less people VRing.   

Thank you Half-pint. 

For other readers, don't get me wrong, I in no way am disparaging anyone's thoughts and feelings who are in favour of cells and such. I absolutely understand it--I don't agree with it, but i understand it. I'm just surprised that such a change was implemented is all.  I hadn't even thought of the possibility of anyone being allowed until I started coming across it on the boards...

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 21:06:09 by Shuck10 »
“I failed my way to success.” ~Thomas Edison

Online Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #426 on: January 06, 2013, 21:21:54 »
I know I'll hate myself for posting in here, but......
Could you provide one example, preferably from actual military experience rather than "a friend's dead uncle had heard," of someone going five months completely incommunicado and not knowing if a spouse was alive or dead.

That wasn't a disguised way to bail from a relationship...
Be nice for no reason.

Offline half-pint

• Rate Post
« Reply #427 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07:37 »
I know I'll hate myself for posting in here, but......
Could you provide one example, preferably from actual military experience rather than "a friend's dead uncle had heard," of someone going five months completely incommunicado and not knowing if a spouse was alive or dead.

That was a hyperbole.  ::)

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #428 on: January 07, 2013, 02:46:08 »
Perfect. The overwhelming percentage of people posting to these Recruiting threads can't even comprehend hyperbole, let alone spell it. Thanks.

::)  <-- right back at ya...with equal value
Don't vote?  Don't complain.   www.elections.ca

Offline Rafterman1

• Rate Post
« Reply #429 on: January 07, 2013, 05:48:57 »
Not gonna bring my gadgets.  I don't have a cell phone, but I have an Ipad and a laptop.  Both are staying home, if I don't have that stuff I won't be distracted from doing what needs to be done.  I know me.  Family can live without hearing from me for a bit. Will do em good.

Bring them.  You will go crazy on the wknds if you dont.
A sucking chest wound is Mother Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Offline Pandora114

• Rate Post
« Reply #430 on: January 07, 2013, 06:48:51 »

Good point.  I don't think my family would appreciate me drinking my pay away every weekend.  Getting a little too old for that.  Doubt my liver can handle that kind of abuse anymore.   I'll discuss it with my husband to see what would be best in that regard. 

Online Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #431 on: January 07, 2013, 07:57:12 »

So, no fact based example? I'm dying to know if I could have based former lies on some half truth.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline RDJP

is off somewhere, looking for his cane.

• Rate Post
« Reply #432 on: January 07, 2013, 10:16:47 »

More like comparing a paper cut to an amputation.

Offline secondchance

• Rate Post
« Reply #433 on: January 07, 2013, 10:52:50 »
I love my wife but I know that without the limited contact I would find BMQ very difficult (She will complain and I will feel bad). We both need the time apart to get prepared for the change. The separation will force my wife to become less dependent on me so in the future I won't be getting calls about the bug that just ran across the floor.
+1,
When I was in BMOQ first time,having cell phone helped my wife to pass through time when I was not near her.
In my humble opinion if there is opportunity to use tools of communications use it. It is not for you first of all.It is for your family members - wives, husbands, children etc. You don't need to build artificial difficulties for yourself.Because your relatives can get it.If you have permission and opportunity using tools of communication why not to use? Maybe sometimes you will have situation when you can not use it like being on the mission.Then there is not choice. But now, at CFLRS there are also payphones and you can give a call to your family member even once a week.It helps , believe me.

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #434 on: January 07, 2013, 13:19:02 »

I was about to write a whole rant about actually getting outside or reading a book on weekends, then realised that as I didn't write it in txt spk, most of those who that comment would be directed to would not be able to read it anyways.

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
« Reply #435 on: January 07, 2013, 17:45:59 »
I just went 4 weeks without my cell phone while it was getting repaired.

The world continued to turn.

My wife didn't die.

My life didn't change.

Only thing that sucked was when I got my car stuck I had to walk to a neighbors house and get him to help me.

all in all, life went on around me like I still had my phone.

Amazing things.

I also think that having super communication with others produces more problems then it solves.  Always being in contact with someone isn't always a good thing.

Offline 0010bravo

• Rate Post
« Reply #436 on: January 07, 2013, 18:04:11 »
If I'm able to say goodnight to my 3 year old son via my cell phone every few nights I'm all for it., it will help me and it will help him to know daddy is gone but still loves him..

Thank you for allowing phones for such reasons..

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #437 on: January 07, 2013, 19:29:06 »
You're welcome, now let me see what I can do about the whole tattoo thing.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline MP_HOPEFUL

• Rate Post
« Reply #438 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:17 »
My husband went through BMQ May-Aug 2012. The CO of his platoon didnt take away their cell phones, but other platoons did. I think it just all depends on how strict of a CO you get. My husband was able to quickly call us every night after 6pm for 5 minutes, but thats all we needed. When he went to Farhnam, I believe weeks 9 and 11, he couldnt call us as he was in the field. That was the longest we went, but bt that time we were so used to him being gone that the week went quickly. When I go to BMQ I will be bringing my laptop so I can skype with my 17 month old daughter. Of course if it is taken away until week 5 then a phone call will have to suffice.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #439 on: January 15, 2013, 19:19:04 »
My husband went through BMQ May-Aug 2012. The CO of his platoon didnt take away their cell phones, but other platoons did. I think it just all depends on how strict of a CO you get. My husband was able to quickly call us every night after 6pm for 5 minutes, but thats all we needed. When he went to Farhnam, I believe weeks 9 and 11, he couldnt call us as he was in the field. That was the longest we went, but bt that time we were so used to him being gone that the week went quickly. When I go to BMQ I will be bringing my laptop so I can skype with my 17 month old daughter. Of course if it is taken away until week 5 then a phone call will have to suffice.

This.  This is part of the 'indoc' to the CF both members and their families have to do.  Adjust from the start (BMQ), so the REAL seperations, deployments, etc where you ARE cut-off for OPSEC, etc, you can do it without going friggin' Coo Coo For Cocoa Puffs
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline MP_HOPEFUL

• Rate Post
« Reply #440 on: January 15, 2013, 20:17:44 »
This.  This is part of the 'indoc' to the CF both members and their families have to do.  Adjust from the start (BMQ), so the REAL seperations, deployments, etc where you ARE cut-off for OPSEC, etc, you can do it without going friggin' Coo Coo For Cocoa Puffs.

I agree. It was tough simply because our daughter was only 7 months old. However, we both knew what we were signing up for before he left. Some days were harder. It was actually nice though to be apart, it really brought us closer together. It was even hard incorprating him back into daily life when he came home. I think once people realize its not the end of the world because you cant talk to your spouse or family for a few days or weeks, then itlll be easier for them. When I go through, my BMQ will be 13 weeks, plus my course training will be 6 months. He was away for 7 months total, I will be away about a year total ( depending on how long I wait for my course ). Agian, we already know what we are in for. If people question whether or not they can handle being away from your spouse, kids, etc for 13+weeks, then maybe people should reconsider their enrollment.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #441 on: January 15, 2013, 20:28:32 »
I agree. It was tough simply because our daughter was only 7 months old. However, we both knew what we were signing up for before he left. Some days were harder. It was actually nice though to be apart, it really brought us closer together. It was even hard incorprating him back into daily life when he came home. I think once people realize its not the end of the world because you cant talk to your spouse or family for a few days or weeks, then itlll be easier for them. When I go through, my BMQ will be 13 weeks, plus my course training will be 6 months. He was away for 7 months total, I will be away about a year total ( depending on how long I wait for my course ). Agian, we already know what we are in for. If people question whether or not they can handle being away from your spouse, kids, etc for 13+weeks, then maybe people should reconsider their enrollment.

Agree 100%.  You need to get on the Recruiting threads and sort that sorry lot of whiners out.   >:D

Offline MP_HOPEFUL

• Rate Post
« Reply #442 on: January 15, 2013, 20:31:53 »
Agree 100%.  You need to get on the Recruiting threads and sort that sorry lot of whiners out.   >:D

Haha I only come to share my personal stories and opinions. I dont want to be the one to personally crush someone's dreams   :P

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #443 on: January 15, 2013, 20:33:39 »
Don't crush their dreams...just cyber-slap them until they grown some thick skin and stop saying "me me me me me me".

Offline MP_HOPEFUL

• Rate Post
« Reply #444 on: January 15, 2013, 20:40:17 »
Don't crush their dreams...just cyber-slap them until they grown some thick skin and stop saying "me me me me me me".

I like you lol. This and many other things really p**s me off about how many people get in and are so ungrateful for the opportunity they are given. I know I am digressing, but when my husband went through, he had at least 3 people get kicked off course from DUI's. Other were kicked off the platoon in basic for DUI's, being charged or swiped too many times. It angers someone like me, who has wanted to be apart of the CF's since I was a child, and have jumped through hoops to get there ( almost there :) ). I have to sacrifice being away from my 17month old daughter for a year!! Ya that's gonna be tough as hell, but I know that the benefits will be so much more than the sacrifice.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #445 on: January 15, 2013, 21:35:51 »
Here is an interesting thought:

It never hurts to suffer some deprivation as long as long term health or safety is not affected. Soldiers do not need wireless internet in the field, nor do they require MP3 players or iPods and iPads in the defensive position, or a camcorder on patrol to upload their latest adventures to You Tube, or their cell phone to check in three times a day with 9er Domestic.  While many of our troops possess some of these electronic devices (and yes I do as well) they are not required when we are deployed on exercise or operations.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

MikeL

« Reply #446 on: January 15, 2013, 21:44:32 »
Soldiers do not need....or a camcorder on patrol to upload their latest adventures to You Tube...

While I agree it isn't a requirement to go around with a camera all the time just to get some hero shots and TIC videos for you tube videos,  but they do make for some cool tour videos  :D

On a serious note,  cameras and helmet cams can be beneficial and used in AARs(training and operations),  photographing people in the area(important people,  suspected bad guys, etc),  as well as some other things. 

Time and place for everything.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 22:13:44 by -Skeletor- »

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #447 on: January 15, 2013, 22:15:53 »
On a serious note,  cameras and helmet cams can be beneficial and used in AARs(training and operations),  photographing people in the area(important people,  suspected bad guys, etc),  as well as some other things. 

Time and place for everything.

This I agree with. BUT there has to be a designated vid/pic guy....not everyone.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Proud_Canadian

• Rate Post
« Reply #448 on: January 16, 2013, 00:22:49 »
I always find this topic funny.  I remember having my electronics taken away on my BIQ back in the day.  They would open up the lock up on weekends so people could get the gadgets etc with a condition they were returned Sunday night be a certain timing.  On the second week, my Phone and Camera were found on inspection.  I initially got jacked up and asked why I had my devices.  With my feet together, I told my NCO that my devices were handed over as per instruction on week one but on the first weekend, I discovered that they were left unlocked and thus unsecured over the weekend, (they opened up the locker but didn't lock it up at night etc)  Believe it or not but they didn't challenge me and I kept my stuff for the rest of course.

Now I await the onslaught of challenges to the above statement.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #449 on: January 16, 2013, 12:33:15 »
Alright; thought it was time to add some official CFLRS policy into this.  I'll not be posting a "SOP complete", but here are the important parts from Electronic Devices Usage By Candidates:

2.  This SOP applies to candidates on BMQs and all BMOQ serials, except the CHS BMOQ. It does not apply to GMT-IT, PLQ or OC courses. It also excludes WPC candidates, for which appropriate usage is defined in SOP 11-09.

5.  Prohibited Use  The following uses are prohibited during basic training at CFLRS. Any candidate found not respecting these will face confiscation of their devices and possible additional admin/disciplinary measures:
a. no electronic devices are authorized to be used/carried during training hours;
b. game consoles are unauthorized at all times and will be confiscated upon arrival; and
c. any type of ear buds/ear phones are not authorized at any time on any devices for security/safety reasons.

6.  Allowed Use  The following uses are authorized during basic training at CFLRS. However any abusive usage could lead to confiscation of a candidate’s devices and possible additional administrative/ disciplinary measures:
a. cell phones of all nature can be used on weeknights AFTER training has concluded but no earlier than 1800hrs. Reasonable usage should be restricted to communications with family and friends; and
b. other devices such as MP3s, IPods, IPads, laptops, etc MAY be authorized during the weekends in garrison if there is no training scheduled and if performance has been judged adequate by the Platoon Commander.

7. As a guideline to define “reasonable usage”, a maximum of 30 minutes per evening is considered to be reasonable. That does not prevent the instructor from initiating a corrective measure for a lesser usage if the activities of a particular evening justify it.

8. The main corrective measure to be used when an unauthorized/abusive usage of electronic devices is identified will be confiscation. When applied, a confiscation will include all of the candidate’s devices.

10. The length of confiscation will vary depending on the number of offences committed, as such: a first offence will result in a 3 day confiscation, a second offence 7 days and a third one, 3 weeks.

11. At no time will a confiscation be used as a punitive measure. Here are examples of infractions that would justify a confiscation:
a. insecure devices found during a security inspection;
b. using a device when not authorized;
c. abusive use of a device when usage is permitted;
d. poor preparation for an inspection (layout or common tasks); and
e. homework not completed or late.