Author Topic: WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? September 2011  (Read 11968 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? September 2011
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:46:47 »
MERX postings and news here only -
please take discussion/debate to a new thread

Thanks for your help
making this news-only thread work
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? September 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:51:15 »
Wanted:  49 x honkin’ expensive long-range thermal weapon sights
…. The Department of National Defence has a requirement for a compact, lightweight, weapon-mountable thermal imager that works in conjunction with the optical day sight to provide target detection and recognition in the thermal band at long range.  This capability will be referred as a Long Range Thermal Weapon Sight (LRTWS) system. The LRTWS system will also serve to complement other optical handheld observation devices.  You are hereby notified that the Government of Canada intends to negotiate with FLIR Systems Ltd, 25 Esquire Road, North Billerica, MA, who manufacturers and possesses the intellectual property rights as the OEM for the ThermoSight™ S150 (links to PDF fact sheet), part number #26986-201, commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) Long Range Thermal Weapon Sight (LRTWS) system.  Deliverables:  Forty-nine (49) cryogenically cooled sensor, thermal video channeled single bodied systems, including accessories and remote control systems …. An optional twenty-five (25) units including accessories and remote control systems …. Total estimate cost of all deliverables:  $7,350,000.00 CAD HSTI ….

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? September 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 06:51:30 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
New JPSU building for CFP Petawawa
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 23:16:19 »
Wanted:  someone to build Joint Personnel Support Unit (JPSU) building in Petawawa - map of location downloadable here (PDF), floorplan here (PDF).

A new building to house military staff who work in a unit that provides help for ill and injured military personnel and their families is to be built at CFB Petawawa.

The building is to replace a trailer currently used for staff members of the regional element of the Joint Personnel Support Unit for Eastern Ontario, according to a military spokesman.

It’s expected that six staff members will work in the new building, although there will be space for a few others.

Defence Construction Canada, a Crown corporation responsible for Department of National Defence construction, has issued a $1.3-million tender for the one-storey building to be built. The start and end dates of the construction are unknown, but the contract is to be awarded within the next three months ....
Ottawa Citizen, 9 Sept 11

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Rent-a-UAV and dog sleds for Brit Suffield troops
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 07:01:39 »
What do you do when all your UAV and other "eye in the sky" assets are too busy to provide support for a training exercise (or are too much of an "operational and administrative burden")?  You can contract out UAV coverage - this from the MERX posting:
.... It is the objective of the Department of National Defence (DND), Canadian Manoeuvre Training Centre (CMTC) at Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE 1101(EX MR 1101) at Canadian Forces Base/Area Support Unit Wainwright (CFB/ASU Wrx), in Alberta, Canada, to simulate the collection of intelligence by a Medium-Altitude Long-Endurance (MALE) Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for training purposes to be applied to real manoeuvres in an active theatre of operations. CMTC requires a contractor to provide Surrogate UAV Services. The use of contracted Surrogate UAVs would mitigate the operational and administrative burden associated with these assets and ensure the necessary tactical flexibility demanded of UAVs operating in the Contemporary Operating Environment (COE) ....
This from the attached Statement of Work:
.... CMTC will prepare soldiers to operate, survive, fight and win in the COE across the full spectrum of operations in a complex, non-linear battlespace.  Maple Resolve serials lack sufficient UAV support. The assets which are tasked lack the required tactical flexibility necessary to effectively support the Primary Training Audience (PTA).  In order to duplicate the COE during EX MR serials, CMTC has employed the Small UAV (SUAV) Scan Eagle from the 4th Air Defence Regiment (4 AD), the CP-140 Aurora Maritime Patrol Aircraft and, until recently, a medium UAV, the Heron, from the Air Force (AF). These assets are in high demand throughout the CF and impose a significant operational and administrative burden during EX MR 1101 ....

Wanted:  someone to provide dog sledding services to British troops needing adventure training at Suffield - more in attached Statement of Work.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Ammo and leather
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 07:21:11 »
Wanted:

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Wanted: PDA's for Nuke Emergency Teams in Halifax, Esquimalt
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:43:08 »
This from MERX:
.... This Request for Proposal is for the procurement of thirty (30) ruggedized Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs) for use by Nuclear Emergency Response (NER) teams of the Department of National Defence in CFB Esquimalt, British Columbia and CFB Halifax, Nova Scotia. The PDAs will provide the means to run existing NER software in various NER team survey assets to simulate nuclear emergency radiation levels during a NER exercise (NEREX) ...."
More details in Statement of Requirements (3 page PDF) here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Anyone interested in developing a “a Naval Remote Weapons Station defence capability to the HALIFAX and IROQUOIS classes of HMC ships”? More technical detail in the draft Statement of Work (25 page PDF) here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: Rent-a-UAV
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 20:42:42 »
What do you do when all your UAV and other "eye in the sky" assets are too busy to provide support for a training exercise (or are too much of an "operational and administrative burden")?  You can contract out UAV coverage - this from the MERX posting:
.... It is the objective of the Department of National Defence (DND), Canadian Manoeuvre Training Centre (CMTC) at Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE 1101(EX MR 1101) at Canadian Forces Base/Area Support Unit Wainwright (CFB/ASU Wrx), in Alberta, Canada, to simulate the collection of intelligence by a Medium-Altitude Long-Endurance (MALE) Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for training purposes to be applied to real manoeuvres in an active theatre of operations. CMTC requires a contractor to provide Surrogate UAV Services. The use of contracted Surrogate UAVs would mitigate the operational and administrative burden associated with these assets and ensure the necessary tactical flexibility demanded of UAVs operating in the Contemporary Operating Environment (COE) ....
(....)
New Statement of Work, Bid Evaluation Criteria issued (attached).

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter