Author Topic: WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? August 2011  (Read 20348 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? August 2011
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:56:46 »
MERX postings and news here only -
please take discussion/debate to a new thread

Thanks for your help
making this news-only thread work

Wanted:
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? August 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 20:19:04 »
Remember this from earlier this year (screen capture also attached)?
Taser research:
.... The Department of National Defence has a requirement for the provision of technical advice to the Conducted Energy Weapons Strategic Initiative (CEWSI) Project Team related to their experiences testing conducted energy weapons ** in Canada. This input will be provided to the project team that will be conducting functional and technical analysis of various models of conducted energy weapons. In particular, the contractor will contribute to identifying gaps in knowledge that will influence future changes to the Test Procedure being used. The purpose of this Advance Contract Award Notice (ACAN) is to signal the government's intention to award a contract for these services to the following three sources: Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario; DATREND Systems Inc., Richmond, B.C.; and MPB Technologies Inc., Kanata, Ontario. It is anticipated that each
Contract will not be in excess of $70,000.00 ....
Deadline's been extended to 15 Aug 11 - see top attachment.

** - more commonly known as Taser or electroshock weapons

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:10 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:27:30 »
Wanted:

Also, "Canada’s armed forces are receiving Falcon III AN/PRC-117G wideband manpack radio systems from Harris Corp. of Florida. The order, worth $4.7 million, includes the RF-7800B tactical Broadband Global Area Networking satellite terminals. Integration of the AN/PRC-117G with the Harris RF-7800B terminals will provide Canadian personnel with unique end-to-end, Type-1 secure beyond-line-of-sight wideband communications connectivity ...."

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:19:40 »
Wanted:

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Wanted: Repairs to chemical, explosive detection kits
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:03:06 »
.... Vendor Name and Address:
SMITHS DETECTION MONTREAL INC.
7030 Century Ave.
Mississauga Ontario
Canada
L5N2V8

(....)
Nature of Requirements:
SABRE Repair and Overhaul

(....)

The Department of National Defence has a requirement for the Repair and Overhaul of Sabre 2000 Detector Kit Chemical Agent and Sabre 4000 Detector Kit Explosives for a three year period with two optional periods of one year each.

For reasons of Exclusive rights it is proposed to negotiate this requirement on a sole source basis with the manufacturer Smiths Detection, Mississauga, Ontario ....
MERX posting, 18 Aug 11

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Electric hybrid snowmobiles
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 08:49:13 »
.... Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC) - Suffield, Medicine Hat, Alberta, has a requirement for which the objective is to advance the state of the art in hybrid-electric design for snowmobiles and to produce a fully functional prototype hybrid-electric snowmobile for test and evaluation, complete with a "silent" operating mode functioning on electric power only ....
MERX posting, 17 Aug 11

More in the Statement of Work (PDF) downloadable here (since The Canadian Press isn't sharing it  ;) ) and The Canadian Press here:
The Department of National Defence plans to develop a new stealth snowmobile for covert military operations in Canada's Arctic, with $550,000 set aside to build a prototype.

Ottawa has posted a public tender for a hybrid-electric snowmobile that would allow Canadian Forces soldiers to swoop silently across the frozen landscape.

The vehicle would perhaps be the most unconventional tool in the arsenal of a Conservative government promising to beef up Canada's military might in the North.

The nature of these future clandestine assignments is unclear from the federal tendering document. But one thing is clear: silence is priority No. 1.

Existing engines apparently aren't up to the job.

"The noise level of an internal combustion engine cannot be reduced to an acceptable level for missions where covertness may be required, especially given the increased propagation of sound in cold, dry, Arctic air," reads the tender, posted last week by National Defence's research and development agency ....

Previous snowmobile orders here.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 18:58:49 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Wanted: someone to freshen up DND's security plan, manual
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 06:29:39 »
.... BACKGROUND

The Department of National Defence Departmental Security Officer (DSO) has a requirement for one (1) Security Consultant to conduct a Gap Analysis of Defence security policy, and to research, update, collate and prepare for promulgation of a Defence Security Plan and a Defence Security Manual. The Defence Security Plan is an incomplete document which must reflect the Treasury Board Secretariat’s Policy on Government Security (PGS). This plan is the cornerstone to the development of a Defence Security Manual and all the regulations and directives to meet the PGS. The Departmental Security Manual is to replace existing policy tools, including the National Defence Security Instructions (NDSI) and the National Defence Security Policies (NDSP).

REQUIREMENT:

The purpose of this requirement is to undertake a comprehensive study of existing policy, draft policy documents created in the last 10 years and the coordination and collation of input of policy documentation from all the security practitioners and functional authorities of the Department. In order to achieve this objective, the services of one (1) Senior Security Consultant are necessary to aid the DSO organization with the development of the Defence Security Plan and Defence Security Manual through a thorough gap analysis and detailed work plan ....
MERX posting, 22 Aug 11

- edited to fix link -
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:51:18 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Boots (tan and black) for 2 places not far from Ottawa
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 06:20:52 »
.... Nature of Requirements:  The Contractor is required to provide the Department of National Defence with a quantity of 220 pairs of Lowa Desert Elite boots and 205 pairs of LOWA combat GTX boots to be delivered to two delivery points located within 250 km from Ottawa, Ont.

Delivery requested: Delivery is requested complete by October 17, 2011 ....
MERX posting, 23 Aug 11
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:24:55 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 07:09:54 »
Wanted:

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: Electric hybrid snowmobiles
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 07:08:43 »
.... Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC) - Suffield, Medicine Hat, Alberta, has a requirement for which the objective is to advance the state of the art in hybrid-electric design for snowmobiles and to produce a fully functional prototype hybrid-electric snowmobile for test and evaluation, complete with a "silent" operating mode functioning on electric power only ....
MERX posting, 17 Aug 11

More in the Statement of Work (PDF) downloadable here ....

The latest, from Wired.com's Danger Room blog:
The Canadian government wants a stealth snowmobile. Just, apparently, because.

It’s not as if Canada has any alpine enemies to sneak up on with shadowy, frigid cavalry. But that’s not going to stop the Canadian Department of National Defence from spending a half million dollars on a prototype.

The secret to the intended stealth capabilities of the snowmobile: a hybrid engine and a quieter electric motor. According to a solicitation from the department, the vehicle has to be able to travel 15 kilometers in its electric mode at an average speed of 20 kilometers per hour. Alas, hybrid snowmobiles aren’t commercially available yet, but the department wants a prototype model by March 31.

Why Canada needs a stealth snowmobile is a question best not asked. The solicitation laments that current snowmobile engines are too loud for “missions where covertness may be required,” but doesn’t bother to list any ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 12:54:28 »
Playing the devil's advocate for a second here:

US SOF teams inserted into the Sha-i-kot valley up to a week prior to OP ANACONDA, usually infiltrating via 4X4 ATV's. The high mountain passes were coverd in snow, and on least one occasion, the team discovered curious Taliban fighters following the tracks the ATV's left (although they never actually seemed to have followed through with the tracking). The SOF ATV's were not described in great detail (this information is from the book "Not a good day to die), but the inference is they were modified for SOF use. It seems probable that part of the modification would be to install larger or more efficient sound supressing mufflers along with racks to carry more gear, and possibly mor powerful engines. Certainly there is no indication in the book that the Taliban were aware of the SOF entry into the Sha-i-kot valey, so the sound of the ATV engine was muffled to the point no one was able to hear it.

Now hybrid electric is flavour of the month, and anyone who has been around a Toyota Prius moving away from a stop sign can attest to the total lack of sound as the electric motor starts the car in motion, so having a silent snowmobile seems to be one way to combine the lessons of over smow mobility and stealth in a package that is more familier to most Canadians.

</advocate>
OTOH, mobility and logistics are pretty closely related, and if I were in charge of things, I would be investigating TDI diesel engines for the entire vehicle fleet since the enhanced reliability and fuel economy would have a much greater impact on CF operations. (A VW Jetta with a TDI engine can claim 40+ MPG without the extra weight or complexity of electric engines, battery packs and control electronics. Larger and heavier trucks and AFV's would not get 40 mpg, but even a 5-10% improvement would have a dramatic impact on costs, or even the number of trucks needed to carry fuel).

Moving quietly with a TDI engine would simply involve putting sound insulation around the engine compartment and installing a high efficiency muffler, both probably simpler and cheaper than a hybrid showmobile.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Box Lunches x +109,000 for Valcartier Garrison
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 07:56:20 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Submarine radios
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 07:02:49 »
.... The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement for the procurement of a quantity of nine (9) MF/HF Transceivers and related ancillaries for the upgrade of the Victoria Class Submarines External Communications System, for delivery in Halifax, Nova Scotia and Victoria, British Columbia .... It is requested that the first delivery of three transceivers be completed on or before March 31, 2012.

The Work includes delivery of the following:

(a) Nine (9) MF/HF Transceivers;
(b) Documentation;
(c) Training;
(d) Field Service Representative services for the installation, trial and acceptance testing of the receivers on an "as and when requested" basis, over a period of up to 5 years from contract award ....
MERX posting, 29 Aug 11

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 07:06:56 »
Remember this?
Wanted:
Cancelled by PWGSC- see attached.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
New deadline for electric hybrid snowmobiles
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 20:22:59 »
Remember this?

MERX posting, 17 Aug 11

More in the Statement of Work (PDF) downloadable here....

Vendors have more time - until 7 Sept 11 instead of 2 Sept 11.  More in attached.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Cold storage for CFB Petawawa
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 07:25:37 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter