The Newsroom > Operations in Afghanistan

Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation: 1PPCLI, 1RCR & 3R22eR

<< < (4/13) > >>

RHFC_piper:

--- Quote from: Technoviking on September 25, 2010, 15:12:39 ---This summer, members of DP 1.2 graduates going to 1 R 22e R were wearing the Commander in Chief Unit Commendation badge on their right pocket.  These guys wear it because it's an honour,I suppose, of the unit to which they belong, and members of that unit aren't individually receiving the commendation, but the unit is.  So, having said that, people such as RHFC_Piper would not get the commendation badge because they aren't serving in that unit right now.  Think of 2 PPCLI and their Presidential Citation (the "swimming pool").  Members of the unit wear it when they are serving with that unit.

--- End quote ---

Here's the crux of the issue; the citations are being issued to the Battle Groups as they existed during their tour, which technically ceased to exist as a "unit" once the tour was over.  Thus, the citations are technically being awarded to the members of all the units who participated (not the individual units... just the members who were there.) 

The citation for 2 PPCLI was issued to the entire unit as a whole, which still exists (since it's not comprised of several units). 

With this said; if I am incorrect, that means members of A Coy, 1 PPCLI, who were a part of the 1 RCR BG are also not entitled to the citation...  But, somehow, I doubt that's the case. 

dangerboy:

--- Quote from: RHFC_piper on September 25, 2010, 15:50:05 ---

With this said; if I am incorrect, that means members of A Coy, 1 PPCLI, who were a part of the 1 RCR BG are also not entitled to the citation...  But, somehow, I doubt that's the case.

--- End quote ---

Just to let you know, it was A Coy 2 PPCLI that was attached to the battle group.

RHFC_piper:

--- Quote from: dangerboy on September 25, 2010, 15:56:58 ---Just to let you know, it was A Coy 2 PPCLI that was attached to the battle group.

--- End quote ---

Sorry... my bad. 

PPCLI WO:
I was a member of C Coy, 2 PPCLI attached to the 3 PPCLI BG during Op Apollo.  All members of C Coy were invited to the presentation and wear the Citation on there left DEU pocket to this day. I also wear the 2 PPCLI CinC Commendation for Medak above my right pocket, given that I was not there but am I serving member of 2 PPCLI.

If I am posted out of 2 PPCLI, I will remove the Citation for Medak, but am always entitled to wear the Citation for Apollo.

I was also with Dangerboy in 2006, so soon I will have two lower left, one upper right and a swimming pool to round things off. Too many things to lose at the mess...

meni0n:
It would have been better if they issued the citation for all units who participated in for example OP MEDUSA as that is what the 1RCR BG is getting their citation for. That would have ensured that some units/individuals who deserve it wouldn't have been excluded.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version