Author Topic: CFAT scores  (Read 38536 times)

Offline 1988 -18-18

• Rate Post
CFAT scores
« on: February 07, 2008, 19:38:52 »
I was wondering about the exact scores on the aptitude test to pass. Since it's trade based I know some will be higher then others. But is there a limit to passing like 50%? Or is it possible to score like 30% on your problem solving for certain trades where as some would need say 90%. I'm just curious how this works. I believe the problem solving is out of 30 so how many questions would I need to get correct for all trades to be open?

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
Re: CFAT scores
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 19:44:29 »
Use the search feature --"CFAT" will turn up tons of results. Quick answer- Different trades have different required scores, but you will not know what those scores are or what your score is.

Cheers,
Benny
The people trying to make this world worse, are not taking a day off.

Offline lone bugler

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 18:21:32 »
having done the CFAT myself with about 60-70 trade choices (not sure if it's all of them), this is exactly what happens. there is no such thing as a fail, but if you don't do as well your trade choices will be limited, for trades like infantry or general military trades, you dont have to do as well as a trade like weapons tech. So unless your going into a highly technical trade don't sweat it that much. They will circle you first choice on you list of "applicable MOCs". If you do not get your first choice, if not they'll circle your second choice, and then your third if you dont get your second. Also keep in mind that you may take the CFAT more than once, so if you really want your first choice and odn't get it , it is possible to request another test (although i dont think this can be done on the same day and if you live far away from the recruiting center this could be a issue).

good luck!

disclaimer: I'm not disrespecting the infantry trade and knows it's a very rewarding and challenging career regardless of qualifications needed on the CFAT
"Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder"

aesop081

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 18:27:22 »
lots of stories on this site about people who did not qualify for infantry and were offered other trades so do be so quick to assume that you know how the CFAT works and dont be so quick to assume that infantry is at the bottom of the score requirement.

Offline lone bugler

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 19:33:06 »
Im saying this based on a person who did the CFAT with me. He was offered only 6 or 7 trade and I think it was steward, infantry and a few others. i never claimed i knew everything about the CFAT either
"Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder"

Offline Jingo

• ...Log...
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 20:02:48 »
The CFAT is based on Grad 10 education.

The %iles are not normally given out because they can be misleading.

the "cut off" scores vary with different occupational groups, and those cut off scores can vary yearly, or every so often.

My advice to you is don't think too much about what score you need to get, just try to answer all of them as you are not penalized for wrong answers.
Also, only attempt the aptitude test if you feel you are ready to pass as there is a limit with how many times you can write the test, as you might need to get an academic upgrade to rewrite.

If you have any other questions contact your local recruiting centre and ask to speak to the testing clerk. 1-800-856-8488

Offline Tallgeese

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 23:56:46 »
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I heard on this site you only need about 18/60 to get into infantry.. is this true?

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 00:00:20 »
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I heard on this site you only need about 18/60 to get into infantry.. is this true?

Scores are not released. Scores are not given out. Knowing an arbitrary number won't help you write the CFAT.  Each section of the test is scored separately and will have a different effect on what trades you may be eligible for.

Offline PMedMoe

is NOT a Med Tech.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I am NOT a Med Tech!!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 07:38:06 »
To add to Mr. O'Leary's post, even if you did know what score you needed to get to be able to apply for a certain trade, you should still attempt to do your very best on the CFAT.  I don't think I'd want to hire someone who only strives to meet the minimum requirement. 
“I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic f@cking hatreds.”
~ George Carlin ~

Offline JMacNavy

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 15:00:18 »
I'd imagine different scores on the different aspects will determine what you are recommended for. A highly educated person may be in the top percentile for problem solving and linguistic but he may have done so poorly in visual that many of the "hands on" NCM trades certainly wouldn't be the right fit. I don't think it's worthwhile is worry about.

Offline Cop

• Rate Post
  • "Hey, we're walking!!" :D
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 13:05:43 »
Well after my CFAT during the interview, my interviewer gave me my score and said I did excellent. I'm pretty sure that there is such thing as failing the CFAT but I think it would be pretty hard. Besides it's an Aptitude test, not an achievement test, they want to see what your suited for if your a genius.

Asians and their cheat codes,
Just sayin' : ;D
The people, who were trying to make this world worse... are not taking a day off. How can I? Light up the darkness.
#422 | Rank: 7 | Cbt Exp: 501 | Msns: 76

Offline canada94

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
  • Adversity breeds character
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 13:29:24 »
My recruiter told me, (P-RES) that i would be given a Regiment interview, then after that, I would have another.. do my CFAT.. etc. I guess lots of people do everything differently, varies i guess.
I am not a member of the Forces, Just trying to become one, if I try to help, it is just that, trying to help

Offline linkinarmy

• Rate Post
  • For God and Country
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 16:51:16 »
I did my CFAT today and it wasnt that bad. The spatial was the hardest for me. lol a lot of guessing. but for the math read the instructions they gave you and practice your fractions, decimals, percentages, and long division and you should be good to go. thats what i did and i passed. I aint no academic wizard. My high school average is 54.

Offline Mudshuvel

• The only time I hear 'Hurry up and wait' is when I needed it yesterday.
  • Mentor
  • Rate Post
  • ATIS
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 19:35:23 »
To be honest, a CFAT is an alternate schoolcard. And Some things come naturally to some, not to others. I shouldn't say that a 17yr old who writes the CFAT and is eligible for all should drop high school at all, but it does help to give the chance to a 30-year old who wasn't the greatest in school but was eligible for all trades to 'academically' compete against someone who is 18, did great in school but had fewer choices within the CFAT for a trade.

The CFAT in addition to your high school diploma opens doors for you. The better the score, the more cards you get to play with when applying for a trade. This is from a CF recruiter I spoke with.
"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."
- Marshal Ferdinand Foch [Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre] (circa 1911)
He was Supreme Commander of Allied forces, 1918

If you have questions: go to Google, type  "Site:army.ca",  followed by a space any keywords related to what you're looking for.

Offline UK2CA

• Rate Post
  • Corps of RCEME
    • REME
My eCFAT PXR.....
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 13:30:08 »
Here's my PXR based on the eCFAT I sat on Tuesday and a subsequent conversation with my recruiter. I won't discuss specifics as it's not allowed and defeats the object, however, hopefully this general overview and advice may help somebody......

1. Make sure you read everything here first:

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/theapplicationprocess-106#step3-3

2. The downloadable practice paper gives you an idea of what to expect in terms of the style of questions, however, I found the actual test significantly more difficult. The practice paper below was fairly useful and the more prep you do beforehand the better frame of mind you'll be in. I'm 39 and it's been a long time since I sat in the classroom; those of you straight out of high school may find it easier.

http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/pract-test-examn-pract/gct2-ecg2-pratc-eng.htm

3. In my opinion, there's not a lot you can do to improve your chances on the first 2 sections of the test (Verbal Skills and Spatial Ability). You'll either have a good grasp of language or you won't - short of memorising a dictionary/thesaurus there's not much training you can do. Similarly, your brain will be able to formulate shapes and patterns or it won't - I believe that we're all hard-wired in this area, some will find this natural and some will find it a black art. That said, the factor which affected me the most on these sections was lack of time, I literally had seconds to spare at the end.

4. The final section (Problem Solving) is an area where you can help your cause beforehand. The math is no different than I did in school and provided you've remembered how to do fractions, percentages etc you should do fine. I personally found that there was plenty of time and I'd finished with 12 minutes left to spare. I used this time to go over my answers again to check for silly mistakes.

5. Timing, Timing, Timing……..don't get too wrapped up with any one question. If you're beginning to struggle then move on to the next. It's better to answer a few easier questions correctly, than waste ages on a difficult one which you subsequently get wrong. If you find you've got questions left and seconds to spare then make an educated guess; you've got a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right and you won't lose anything for getting it wrong.

6. Don't get disheartened, or start panicking, if you find you don't know the answers to all the questions, just do your best. For example, I'm enrolling as a Vehicle Tech for which the current pass mark (subject to change) is 35. Presuming that this score is spread equally across the 3 sections then I would have needed roughly 9 out of 15 correct on Sections 1&2 and 18 out of 30 on Section 3. You can see that this is very achievable provided you answer as many as you can and don't spend too much time on any one question.

7. If you know your required pass mark don't just aim at that, aim to do your best and answer as many as you can. If you intend to make a career of the military then the 'just enough' approach may bite you in the *** later. For example, should you decide to change trade, or commission from the ranks, your CFAT score will be revisited and used in the decision making process.

8. Finally, If you want to know what score you got then just ask. What's the worse that can happen……? I asked my recruiter and he had no problem in telling me how I did and what I got wrong etc - needless to say, I was glad to hear I passed  ;)

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 13:41:26 by British Army »
'By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.' - Benjamin Franklin

Offline jcan

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 10:46:04 »
Hi everyone,

I've been practicing for my CFAT exam in 3 weeks. I know many will mock me for spending a bit of money on TEST READY PRO, but I can take it. I'm writing to anyone who is stressing about this aptitude exam, and if you would like to put your mind at ease, I can send u the PDF from testreadypro.ca that I purchased to help you study. READ BELOW

Mod Edit: Anyone thinking of taking jcan up on his offer had better think twice about it. This site is NOT to be used to share copyrighted information. If we catch you then you will be banned.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 15:43:49 by Scott »

Offline Nellyb

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 10:29:36 »
if any one is struggling with preparing for their test, email jason for that file it is VERY USEFUL....
ps. Thanks Jason ;D

Mod edit: Do not support this behaviour
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 15:45:15 by Scott »

Offline jcan

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 14:41:05 »
This site (below) is awesome!!!  It is totally free, but you do have to go through some annoying sign up stages....do it, it is worth it.  I really like how it spits out your scores on each section, and after tallying up your overall score, you can compare which occupation you are most qualified for. Although it is American, I am certain there is little difference to the CFAT in terms of math difficulty.

http://www.military.com/ASVAB

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 15:01:15 »
I've been practicing for my CFAT exam in 3 weeks. I know many will mock me for spending a bit of money on TEST READY PRO, but I can take it. I'm writing to anyone who is stressing about this aptitude exam, and if you would like to put your mind at ease, I can send u the PDF from testreadypro.ca that I purchased to help you study. Just shoot me an email: jason.g

So that company sells those, you bought it and now will give it away? So if your livelihood depended on you selling a product or service, you would be OK with one person buying it and giving it away to everyone? Better check the Terms and Conditions in regards to what you bought, along with Copywrights, etc.

[Edit to remove email address in quote.]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 20:23:03 by George Wallace »
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.
#220 | Rank: 31 | Cbt Exp: 34,806 | Msns: 439

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 15:29:09 »
Here is the relevant portion of the Test Ready Pro website:
Prohibited Actions

To ensure the protection of other Test Ready Inc. users, you shall only use this website for lawful purposes. In your use of this website, you acknowledge and agree that you are strictly prohibited from taking the any or all of actions set out below (collectively, "Prohibited Actions"):

loading, transmitting, distributing, or storing material or information protected by copyright, trade-mark, trade secret or other intellectual property right used without proper authorization

Yep, integrity.
Far from an apprentice, but not yet a master.

"Je suis trop honnête pour être poli" ~Louis Scutenaire (1905-1987)

Offline Scott

likes kicking bee hives.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 15:41:51 »
Ding, ding, ding. Journeyman got it! And as DS I can also play fun police by pointing out the Army.ca Conduct Guidelines which you are supposed to read and this little ditty contained in them:

•You will not post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this site.

And before someone childishly points out to me that the person did not post the material to the site I'll point out that he made the offer and I won't have this site used as a medium for that. Go download it somewhere else.

jcan, this is your one and only nice warning about this. I've removed your personal email from your post but I can't do anything if someone PM's you. However, if you're found to be continuing this behaviour I'll just ban you. Perhaps Papa the lawyer can help you understand why we want no part in this sort of guff.

Scott
Army.ca Staff
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

Offline Dlew

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 16:32:43 »
Just took the CFAT for infantry officer. I passed but 3 out of the 6 failed. So don't underestimate it, you only got 2 tries at it.

Offline UK2CA

• Rate Post
  • Corps of RCEME
    • REME
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 11:05:34 »
Just took the CFAT for infantry officer. I passed but 3 out of the 6 failed. So don't underestimate it, you only got 2 tries at it.

Do you know what the pass mark was Dlew?
'By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.' - Benjamin Franklin

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Instructor and 2 TROOP WARRANT
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 11:11:22 »

CFAT marks are not given out......
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer
#92 | Rank: 114 | Cbt Exp: 1,532,654 | Msns: 1,889

Online George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 11:12:11 »

There is no "pass mark"; or to be more accurate, there is no "pass mark" published.  It is an Aptitude Test for which your mark will dictate which Trade options may be open to you.  The higher your marks, the more options you will have of Trades to choose.  The lower your marks, the fewer Trades will be open to you.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.