Author Topic: Writing to the troops (merged)  (Read 25165 times)

Offline LucyInTheSky

• Rate Post
Writing to the troops (merged)
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:24:51 »
I have been searching for some time, trying to find any lists of our Canadian troops overseas who are looking for pen pals back home.  I found lots of info on US military troops, but nothing at all for our Canadian boys & girls other than a standard message board on the DND.

Can anyone tell me whether there is a way to find out whether some of our overseas troops are looking for pen pals?

Thanks,
Lucy
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 10:35:50 by LucyInTheSky »

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
Re: Our troops overseas - need pen pals?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:34:00 »
There is nowhere I know of. But by posting up on this site, you have put the word out you are looking. Stick around a couple months and I am sure you'll find someone.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline LucyInTheSky

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 12:54:08 »
Thank you, I hope someone here will be able to pass along the info.

Do the overseas troops check this message board?

Offline Xfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 12:55:32 »
Thank you, I hope someone here will be able to pass along the info.

Do the overseas troops check this message board?

theres a bunch that are over right now they come on here alot.
"fitness like honor must not be bestowed it must be earned" --Mr. Shirley

Offline Fdtrucker

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 12:59:21 »
Try sending one to Any Canadian Soldier on any of the Operations listed on this link

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/messageboard/addresses_e.asp

Offline LucyInTheSky

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 13:17:44 »
Try sending one to Any Canadian Soldier on any of the Operations listed on this link

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/messageboard/addresses_e.asp

Thank you, I did see that option - but I'd prefer to write to a particular person actually wanting correspondence, instead of sending randomly.

Offline emmiee

• Rate Post
  • shhhhh don't telll anyone we take the tree at dawn
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 16:40:23 »
I would be interested as well. Lucy is right I couldn't find anything either other than the DND site. I know they may perfer email to snailmail. But it is nicer sometimes to write a letter. Thank you for starting and sharing this information forum.

Also perhaps if anyone that is looking at this forum and does want to start writing. Please send me an email with your address (email or snailmail) My email is nrb038@yahoo.com .  Please be assured that I am not looking for a relationship, I am happily in one!!

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 17:01:06 »
When I was in Kandahar in 2002, we had a bunch of letters distributed that we were 'asked' to answer.  The SSM gave me one in particular because he thought I was the only one in the Sqn 'closest in age to the writer' (I was 47).  So I wrote back thanking her for the letter, and telling her my wife and son, were looking out for my morale.

Her next letter had photos....

My wife was amused.

;D

Tom
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 17:45:06 »
Photos of her itsy bitsy cute little dog I'll bet  :rofl:

I have to admit I'm a bit dubious about this "I just want to write to a soldier".  If you want to send your best wishes to the troops, the links have been provided. This is not a dating service.

:-\

Offline Naralis

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 18:20:49 »
Photos of her itsy bitsy cute little dog I'll bet  :rofl:

I have to admit I'm a bit dubious about this "I just want to write to a soldier".  If you want to send your best wishes to the troops, the links have been provided. This is not a dating service.

:-\
That's what I was thinking at first. But it's not like a soldier can't say no, or can just not reply. I'm sure some guys overseas wouldn't mind having someone to come to after their 6 months. :D

Offline saosin1(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 18:32:10 »
i was thinkin about writing people over seas

Offline Elisha

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 19:05:44 »
My husband actually had a family adopt him for his tour in 2002. They sent him food and letters and a ton of stuff.  It sure boosted his moral.  He was overseas with a few guys that did not get anything, and his mom would send an extra package for them. 

Elisha

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 20:56:17 »
I remember some of my soldiers in Banja Luka did not receive any sort of letter, card or gift from their Home Unit (despite this being a winter deployment and being stuck there at Christmas) until their RSM got a sharp email from our side of the pond.

Soldiers should have multiple lines back home; their families, their friends and their units. This isn't to knock well wishers who would also like to write and otherwise support the troops, but perhaps this should work in the other direction; well wishers can let people know they are here (maybe even on this board if Mike agrees), and then soldiers who might be a bit "thin on the ground" as far as correspondence from home goes can choose to write if they want.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline 3rd Herd

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Cave ab homine unius libri
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 22:10:36 »
 I remember having several of my classes(elementary) do letters to the troops as grammer exercises. Kids loved it espically when the replies came back. Start of every class more or two students got to read out there letters. Had letters  arrive backfrom unit to school in bulk and then I would play mail man. Took a bit of work to set up then after 9/11 got canned as the kids were deemed a securty risk and then they went to the above mentioned "write a soldier bs" But I will be the first to get the kids writting again if policy changes
"if he was to be hanged for it, he told his brother, he could not accuse a man whom he believed had meant well, and whose error was one of judgment, not of intention"
Wellington

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 22:57:59 »
Elisha and Herd I'm sure families and classes writing is wonderful. When I was at bmq I phoned my Mom and insisted she write to me because it was lonely when others got written stuff and all I got was phone calls. I understand that. I just question the motives of these 2 'newbies'. It seems dubious to me.

Having said that I agree with Elisha that these guys might want someone to come home to, but let's not be naive enough to think that a woman so desperate to write to some guy she doesn't know so he can have a warm bed when he gets home from the war is a big prize. Reminds me of those women who write to killers in prison. It's all too creepy for me.

Offline c_canuk

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 02:22:15 »

sure what the hell, Write me at

Rediger/MCpl
HQ and Sigs/UNDOF HQ
PO BOX 5002 Stn Forces
Belleville ON, K8N 5W6

I've got nothing else to do really now that all leave has been cancelled for the draw down.

NavComm

thanks for comparing me to a convicted killer  :rofl:
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

Offline COBRA-6

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 02:40:01 »
I'm not falling for it!

First it's "what's your name?" and "where are you stationed?". Then come the revealing pics, poorly cut out of old editions of Maxim. Before you know it the questions are "so what frequency are you using" and "what's the 10 digit grid of the TOC". No way, not this kid! Get your intelligence somewhere else Osama!!

;D
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline c_canuk

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 09:35:25 »
 ;D that doesn't worry me, the local army works for us as translators, and live just outside out gates... and we use civy radios...

not much that they could get from me that we don't already tell them, hell we fax them our patrols and whatnot... UN is a strange beast to work for  ;D
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

Offline LucyInTheSky

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 10:29:18 »
soldiers who might be a bit "thin on the ground" as far as correspondence from home goes can choose to write if they want.

Yes that is a good idea.

As for you members questioning my motives behind wanting to find someone to correspond with overseas;
I am not looking to 'meet' someone in that way.
I wanted to find an old-fashioned kinda pen-pal... and while there are numerous ways to find pen-pals all over the world, I thought writing to one of our troops - male OR female - overseas, might be a nice thing to do.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was stationed in Bosnia for a year.  We wrote back and forth frequently, and after my friend got home he told me how much just getting a letter from home had meant to him.

I came on this site & posted my forum simply to inquire about finding a pen pal. 
Not to have my morals & integrity questioned.  Though I suppose I can't blame you for questioning my motives, I hope now that I've explained them the negative comments can stop.

Thanks to those who have provided positive suggestions. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 10:33:27 by LucyInTheSky »

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 10:47:17 »
I would also be interested in being a soldiers pen pal if anyone has any info please post thanks :salute:
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

Offline emmiee

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 10:57:35 »
In reply to wanting to write to military personnell. I am from a military family, have worked as a private contractor for the military, and after talking to many of the personnell who are in the military while I was working;it seemed that was a common comment. ie. wanting to recieve letters.

As I also stated I am NOT looking for a relationship as I am already in on for many years with a person who is active military (26 yrs). Although I understand sceptisism over this query. It is, from me anyway, and innocent request. I have the time now to actually participate in doing something for the troops who I know work very hard and make many sacrifices.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 12:33:57 »
I am not looking for a relationship neither I just think that it would ne nice for the men/women to get letters brings the morale up
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 12:36:50 »

NavComm

thanks for comparing me to a convicted killer  :rofl:

I didn't compare you to a convicted killer. What I said was "Reminds me of those women who write to killers in prison". I was referring to the mindset of the letter writer who would write to men they don't know.

But now that you mention it, maybe the writers are looking for a man who is dangerous. Convicted murderers and soldiers both could be seen that way, I suppose. It's kind of hard for me to get into the heads of these women who write to criminals. I've always thought that was a symptom of a very deep-rooted self loathing or something.

Both emmiee and Lucy insist they have very altruistic reasons for wanting to write to a soldier. I guess we have to take their word for it.

Curiously they both also say they have connections to the military. If that is the case, then,  emmiee, why not just ask your spouse with 26 yrs of military experience to connect you with a soldier that you can write to? And Lucy, why don't you ask your friend who was in Bosnia to hook you up with a pen pal?

Offline emmiee

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 12:46:54 »
NavComm: In response to "emmiee, why not just ask your spouse with 26 yrs of military experience to connect you with a soldier that you can write to?"

I do that already, I host dinners on the holidays for those who can not for some reason get home, I also offer my home to those CF personnell are on exchange if they need a place to stay in transit. I fly/drive materials requested by CF personnell that they cannot acquire there but would like to have.

BTW my spouse is CF military. I did not want anyone to have the wrong perception of my presences here.

And if anyone is interested, Yes, I did take Mr. Bobbitts suggestion and post an introduction of myself to the forum :)

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 12:54:27 »
NavComm: In response to "emmiee, why not just ask your spouse with 26 yrs of military experience to connect you with a soldier that you can write to?"

I do that already, I host dinners on the holidays for those who can not for some reason get home, I also offer my home to those CF personnell are on exchange if they need a place to stay in transit. I fly/drive materials requested by CF personnell that they cannot acquire there but would like to have.

BTW my spouse is CF military. I did not want anyone to have the wrong perception of my presences here.

And if anyone is interested, Yes, I did take Mr. Bobbitts suggestion and post an introduction of myself to the forum :)

Well that's great. As I said, I take your word that you have altruistic reasons for wanting to do this. I'm sure you will find a pen pal. Unfortunately, I don't think the majority of women who want to do this have the same intentions that you do.

But then, the soldiers are grown ups, so they can make up their own minds about what type of mail they want to receive. I can just imagine some of the fun stuff they must get.  :-X