Author Topic: Regarding Formation Badges.  (Read 11608 times)

Offline Choquette

• Rate Post
Regarding Formation Badges.
« on: August 23, 2013, 16:55:24 »
Currently a civvie/cadet speaking, with little knowledge on the *actual* Canadian Forces dress regs.

Just curious, I have no real reason for knowing other than that, is the Formation Badge usually worn on your DEU? Apparently the Calgary Highlanders do, but on other members' DEU, I can't seem to notice them wearing their Formation Badge. Is it up to the Commanding Officer of the Brigade Group? I tried a search, couldn't find any information on the subject. If there is information on this subject elsewhere, a redirect would be much appreciated! Thanks.  :)

MikeL

Re: Regarding Formation Badges.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 16:59:59 »
If you belong to an organization that is authorized to wear a certain Command badge, you wear it - provided you can get it, I know awhile ago people had trouble getting Land Force Command badges.

Offline Choquette

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 17:04:44 »
Interesting. How about Formation Badges? Like, these little thingies here that would normally go on your right sleeve?

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 17:08:16 »
Interesting. How about Formation Badges? Like, these little thingies here that would normally go on your right sleeve?

Bde patches will go on the Right.   Div patches on the Left.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

MikeL

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 17:09:57 »
If you are a member of the brigade, you wear the brigade patch on the right sleeve - Not sure what the rules are for RCAF and RCN pers who are in a brigade unit(I don't remember if they wore them or not as it wasn't something I paid attention to).

Not all CF pers will belong to a brigade, so they don't wear a brigade patch on the right sleeve.  AFAIK, the Army will eventually be giving out division patches, and I assume they would be worn on the left sleeve.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 17:11:55 »
If you are a member of the brigade, you wear the brigade patch on the right sleeve - Not sure what the rules are for RCAF and RCN pers who are in a brigade unit.

Not all CF pers will belong to a brigade, so they don't wear a brigade patch on the right sleeve.  AFAIK, the Army will eventually be giving out division patches, and I assume they would be worn on the left sleeve.

Except for the PPCLI, who for the 18 months of the year of their centennial will wear two divisional patches.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 17:55:58 »
Except for the PPCLI, who for the 18 months of the year of their centennial will wear two divisional patches.

Just get it over with ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 18:11:50 by recceguy »
If I were to live every day as though it were my last, the body count would be staggering

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 18:33:01 »

Really?  You had to go there?   ;D
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 18:45:00 »
To be fair, I'm guessing the PPCLI have elected to have an 18 month centennial year based on sound medical advice - spreading the parties over 18 months might lessen the liver damage...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 01:19:46 »
If one is part of Div HQ or Div troops, will they wear the Div Patch on both sleeves?

... I would also like to propose a rainbow patch for LFDTS.  Those poor fellows are missing out on so much uniform bling.

:P

Online PrairieThunder

And that's why we can't have nice things.

• Rate Post
  • For Queen and Country
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 01:40:47 »
Honestly, I'd much rather wear brigade patches on both arms.

Who the frig thought Grey was a colour for a military division!? I'd rather be purple because it ties back to regality.

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 07:46:25 »
If one is part of Div HQ or Div troops, will they wear the Div Patch on both sleeves?

... I would also like to propose a rainbow patch for LFDTS.  Those poor fellows are missing out on so much uniform bling.

:P

I'm pondering whether I should wear both the 1 Div and 4 Div patches on my uniform, as my unit belongs to both. Maybe one on each arm....

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 19:59:32 »

I think you are confusing the Red traditional PPCLI clothe shoulder titles with the French Grey 3 Can Div patch that everyone out west will eventually wear.  I'm with 1 PPCLI and have heard nothing of wearing more than this.

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 20:01:16 »
Bde patches will go on the Right.   Div patches on the Left.

Actually tradition has it the other way around, the senior formation patch always goes on the right.  But the CA has made an exception for the new Div patches to safe tailoring costs. 

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 12:31:43 »
But the CA has made an exception for the new Div patches to safe tailoring costs.

They would save more money in tailor fees if they do not bother withdrawing a patch on every uniform.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 12:36:33 »
They would save more money in tailor fees if they do not bother withdrawing a patch on every uniform.

New DEUs to have Velcro patches on sleeves to facilitate changing Bde and Div patches on posting.    >:D

Damn that Good Idea Faerie.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Squadron Operations Warrant
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 13:49:44 »
New DEUs to have Velcro patches on sleeves to facilitate changing Bde and Div patches on posting.    >:D

Damn that Good Idea Faerie.

:goodpost:

;D
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer
#93 | Rank: 117 | Cbt Exp: 1,653,320 | Msns: 1,930

Online Loachman

• Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 14:07:13 »
Velcro is so low-tech and common. We can do much better.

LED monitors on our tummies - Teletubby-style - would enable rank, name, unit, blood type, religion, dietary requirements, drug and other allergies, medals, sexual preference, and anything else desireable to be displayed in any language, instantly adaptable to lighting and visibility requirements, and readily re-programmable remotely.

Offline Jacky Tar

• Speaker-to-Electrons
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 14:13:28 »
Velcro is so low-tech and common. We can do much better.

LED monitors on our tummies - Teletubby-style - would enable rank, name, unit, blood type, religion, dietary requirements, drug and other allergies, medals, sexual preference, and anything else desireable to be displayed in any language, instantly adaptable to lighting and visibility requirements, and readily re-programmable remotely.

:goodpost:
"The prelude to action is the work of the engine room department." - RAdm Sir John Jellicoe, Battle of Jutland, 1916
-----
These are my personal opinions, not to be confused with the official Navy opinion which is issued in seasick shipside grey.

Online Loachman

• Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 12:45:51 »
And an upgrade proposal: A proximity-based transponder in each device that compares signals between two devices and causes the display of higher-ranking commissioned wearers to pulsate, thereby alerting the junior member that a salute is required before it is too late to avoid a jacking. For the slow-to-react, an automatic pre-recorded jacking could initiated in either device.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 13:00:29 »
To be fair, I'm guessing the PPCLI have elected to have an 18 month centennial year based on sound medical advice - spreading the parties over 18 months might lessen the liver damage...

Ok that sounds better than my "18 months = 1 year" based on NDHQ math.  8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.
#417 | Rank: 7 | Cbt Exp: 536 | Msns: 137

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 19:32:06 »
I'm pondering whether I should wear both the 1 Div and 4 Div patches on my uniform, as my unit belongs to both. Maybe one on each arm....

How can your unit belong to two HQ at the same time...I'm sure that the MOO/CFOO for your unit dictates a single formation that your unit falls under.

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 19:34:44 »
How can your unit belong to two HQ at the same time...I'm sure that the MOO/CFOO for your unit dictates a single formation that your unit falls under.

I'll have to pull up the CFOO and MOO, however we belong to 4 Can Div and are OPCON to 1 Can Div.

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 16:11:18 »
For a while now 21 Electronic Warfare Regiment, 4 Air Defence Regiment, and 4 Engineer Support Regiment have been wearing 1 Cdn Division patches on DEU, even though none of these units are actually in the 1 Cdn Division chain of command.  Now that LFAA/5 Div and LFCA/4 Div have their own division patches the question remains what badges will these units wear? And shouldn't  their badges match their actual chain of command?

Putting these units under centralized command and control does make some kind of sense, making 1 Div the home for unique and orphan capabilities that aren't assigned to a brigade. But if you're going to do it, then you have to go whole hog -- having a unit reporting to two higher formations simultaneously just creates twice as much paperwork and slows administration to a crawl. Actually assigning these three units to 1 Div would be very straightforward for 21 EW -- but for 4 AD and 4 ESER it would remove the last two reg force field units from LFAA/5 Div.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 16:47:14 »
....... but for 4 AD and 4 ESER it would remove the last two reg force field units from LFAA/5 Div.
And why does LFAA/5 Div "need" to keep these reg force field units?

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 16:57:44 by Journeyman »