Author Topic: Why is genius so rare?  (Read 7558 times)

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
Re: Why is genius so rare?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 14:50:55 »
One of the troubles with that is that everyone thinks their own way of thinking = common sense. 

Are you saying that you're the only one in step then?

;D

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline bridges

• Rate Post
  • Servitium Nulli Secundus
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 14:55:04 »
Are you saying that you're the only one in step then?

;D

MM

;D  You know it!     
"Only a person of liberal mind is entitled to exercise coercion over others in a society of free men."   -General Sir John Winthrop Hackett, GCB, CBE, DSO & Bar, MC

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 18:30:35 »
It should also be considered that some people out there are too liberal with slapping the title of 'genius' on people; as an example three people I recall in the past as being called 'geniuses' were Bill Clinton, Boris Yeltsin, and Belinda Stronach.  Does any body regard any of these three as being on a par with Machiavelli, Michaelangelo, or Mercer?

(Not sure if Rick Mercer can really be called an intellectual genius, but got to admit he's a genius at comedy...)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 19:22:31 »
It should also be considered that some people out there are too liberal with slapping the title of 'genius' on people; as an example three people I recall in the past as being called 'geniuses' were Bill Clinton, Boris Yeltsin, and Belinda Stronach.  Does any body regard any of these three as being on a par with Machiavelli, Michaelangelo, or Mercer?

(Not sure if Rick Mercer can really be called an intellectual genius, but got to admit he's a genius at comedy...)

There are two big things that make it difficult to study genius:

•The genius label is subjective. Some people insist that anyone with an intelligence quotient (IQ) higher than a certain value is a genius. Others feel that IQ tests measure only a limited part of a person's total intelligence. Some believe high test scores have little to do with real genius.

•Genius is a big-picture concept. Most scientific and medical inquiries, on the other hand, examine details. A concept as subjective as genius isn't easy to quantify, analyze or study.

­So, when exploring how geniuses work, it's a good idea to start by defining precisely what a genius is. For the purpose of this article, a genius isn't simply someone with an exceptionally high IQ. Instead, a genius is an extraordinarily intelligent person who breaks new ground with discoveries, inventions or works of art. Usually, a genius's work changes the way people view the world or the field in which the work took place. In other words, a genius must be both intelligent and able to use that intelligence in a productive or impressive way.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/genius.htm

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline PMedMoe

is NOT a Med Tech.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I am NOT a Med Tech!!
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 20:13:14 »
“He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of dispute.” ~ Nietzsche ~

Offline GnyHwy

• Is a pragmatic optimist.
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Artillery 24/7 all weather fire support.
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 21:04:22 »
­So, when exploring how geniuses work, it's a good idea to start by defining precisely what a genius is. For the purpose of this article, a genius isn't simply someone with an exceptionally high IQ. Instead, a genius is an extraordinarily intelligent person who breaks new ground with discoveries, inventions or works of art. Usually, a genius's work changes the way people view the world or the field in which the work took place. In other words, a genius must be both intelligent and able to use that intelligence in a productive or impressive way.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/genius.htm

I agree.  Two other ways to look at it are:

1.  I watched a show that had a world class pianist that everyone considered to be a genius.  He insisted that he was just a world class pianist, and was not a genius.  Although he was likely being humble, it makes sense.  You can be extremely skilled or intelligent at the world class level and not be a genius.  Genius is the ability to expand and create.  Musicians duplicate, and artists create.

2.  Another way is thinking of peoples abilities, skills, and intelligence in 4 levels.  Level 1 is memorization, and the lowest level.  Level 2 is comprehension.  Level 3 is the ability to explain or teach.  Level 4 is the ability to innovate.
Luck is for Suckers - GnyHwy

Offline ObedientiaZelum

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 09:05:22 »
We ask only to serve
✠ Ave Imperator ✠

Offline 2 Cdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 09:13:56 »
Because there is only one of ME! 8)
AIRBORNE
2 Cdo 84-88

Offline GnyHwy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 22:09:17 »
http://216.224.180.96/~prom/oldsite/

130 thousandth of the world is approximately 54000 people.  That's like one Chinese university.  Further, Asia makes up 4/7 of the world's population, yet I don't see any orientals on their staff.  I think it's either fake or racist. :nod:

Offline GnyHwy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 22:35:51 »