Author Topic: Women In the Infantry  (Read 26075 times)

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
  • Act like a lady, think like a Boss.
Women In the Infantry
« on: April 27, 2012, 14:32:06 »
Hi everyone,

I personally have a couple questions, that I want to get out before I go for my interview this coming week.  :)

To begin, I will just give you a bit of background. I have always wanted to be in the Army, It has basically been a calling for me. I live for, and love a challenge, I cant bear a job where I am stuck behind a desk, doing the same thing day in and day out. I want to learn new things, experience new people, places, and challenges.

I have also, always been interested in having an occupation that keeps me on my toes, challenges me everyday, and is not boring. One that is in fact, a team effort, and physical.

I believe I am moderately fit (could be better), I am 20 years old, and yes, I am a woman. I feel that though, you do not see or hear much about woman in the infantry, and I CAN wrap my head around the fact that , yes, not many woman would pick this particular occupation.

My question is:
                    For any woman who are currently or who have been in the infantry. Can you share you experiences. and give me and helpful tips and advice?
                    Also, for infantry soldiers or officers as a whole, male or female. You all can answer this.

Thanks for your time, and comments.  :cdn:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 23:16:25 by RyaeC »
"Leadership isn't about ability; it's about responsibility. You're not really a leader until you've lost."

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Women In the Infantry
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 14:41:53 »

My question is:
                    For any woman who are currently or who have been in the infantry. Can you share you experiences. and give me and helpful tips and advice?
                    Also, for infantry soldiers or officers as a whole, male or female. You all can answer this.

Topic: "Gender & the CF; Women in Combat Arms, Infantry, Special Forces & Battle":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,27742.0/nowap.html?PHPSESSID=ei71smum5g15lp6t8s28v95282
( 40 pages )

Lots more:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ie=UTF-8&q=women+combat&sa=Search&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ref=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=women%20combat
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Loachman

• Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 16:18:05 »
I want to ... experience new people

Well, ummmm...

Plenty of Fish?

Seriously, there's boredom to be found in the Infantry, and even in the Pilot profession, but also tremendous rewards.

You won't really know until you've done it for a while.

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 16:24:04 »
Well, ummmm...

Plenty of Fish?

Seriously, there's boredom to be found in the Infantry, and even in the Pilot profession, but also tremendous rewards.

You won't really know until you've done it for a while.

When I say 'experience new people' I mean meet new people, make new friends, etc.

I think a lot of the reason I do want to be in the Infantry is because of the challenge and hard work, but then the "tremendous rewards" (as you put it) afterwards.

I also, want to take aprt in a lot of humanitarian work, if I do get into the the infantry.
"Leadership isn't about ability; it's about responsibility. You're not really a leader until you've lost."

aesop081

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 16:26:55 »

I also, want to take aprt in a lot of humanitarian work, if I do get into the the infantry.

You don't get to pick the work you do. That and the role of the infantry is not to "be humanitarian to the enemy".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 16:40:33 by CDN Aviator »

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 16:37:33 »

You don't get to pick the work you do. That and the role of the infantry is not to "be humanitarian to the enemy".

It's not?

You mean it wasn't changed to "Close with and deliver warm fuzzy hugs and stuffed teddies." 8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.
#416 | Rank: 7 | Cbt Exp: 536 | Msns: 137

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 16:38:17 »

It's not?

You mean it wasn't changed to "Close with and deliver warm fuzzy hugs and stuffed teddies." 8)

shhh.....don't tell them...

as for stuffed teddies.....yum, yum.....
REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

My mind is like lighting, one brilliant flash, then its gone.....

A young boy asks his father "Dad, where did I get my intelligence from?"

Dad replies "You must have gotten it from your mother, I still have mine."

Offline Loachman

• Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 16:53:23 »
When I say 'experience new people' I mean meet new people, make new friends, etc.

Yes, we know, but if you give us the slightest opportunity to exploit your wording, expect at least one of us to do so.

Add "occasionally kill them" to the list as well.

The role of the Infantry is "to close with and destroy the enemy". Everything else is fluff.

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 17:17:45 »

HAHA, of course I understand that.  :facepalm:  But looking into the occupation more thoroughly I found that, that have built/donated wells, helped train police forces in haiti, given clothing/toys to adults/families/children, built homes, clearing mines etc.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 17:18:58 »
Those functions are secondary to security
REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

My mind is like lighting, one brilliant flash, then its gone.....

A young boy asks his father "Dad, where did I get my intelligence from?"

Dad replies "You must have gotten it from your mother, I still have mine."

MikeL

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 17:22:26 »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 19:45:32 by -Skeletor- »

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 17:24:18 »
Those functions are secondary to security

Very true. Those functions are one of the many reasons as to why I would like this career.  :warstory:

MikeL

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 17:25:23 »
Very true. Those functions are one of the many reasons as to why I would like this career.  :warstory:

I know plenty of dudes in the infantry who have never done one of those humanitarian things.  Not to say it doesn't happen,  but don't expect that you would be doing that kind of stuff.  As well,  if those types of things are happening,  the Infantry could just be handaling the security and not the actual work of building wells, land mine clearing, etc which sounds more like Engineer tasks IMO.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 17:28:15 by -Skeletor- »

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 17:33:25 »

You don't seem able to grasp that the Infantry's job is to close with and destroy,  handing out toys and clothing is not part of Battle School or a Battalion field excercise.  If you want to do the humanitarian thing as a primary job,  look else where.

Let me rephrase everything so that you all understand. You all have seemed to take one sentence that said, and assumed that was my only reasoning for joining the military. The humanitarian thing is NOT what I want to do as a PRIMARY job.

Its is simply something that sparked interest to me as well as other things such as:

-mastering high-tech weapons and vehicles [ LAV iii's C-7's etc], patrolling, special-ops, gunning.

-Physical, challenging, team-effort, as well as leadership, LOTS TO LEARN.

When I had said I wanted to 'take part in the humanitarian stuff', my wording might have been off. I basically meant, it would be an experience to do that, and I find that interesting?

Does that make better sense.

MikeL

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 17:36:15 »

Its is simply something that sparked interest to me as well as other things such as:

, special-ops, 

Unless you get into CANSOFCOM,  you won't do anything related to "special ops" as a Infantry Soldier in a Battalion.

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 17:36:43 »
RyaeC,

We are just trying to make sure that you are under no illusion about what the primary role of the Infantry is.

You will also find that soldiers are blunt.

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 17:42:26 »
RyaeC,

We are just trying to make sure that you are under no illusion about what the primary role of the Infantry is.

You will also find that soldiers are blunt.

I understand that. I appreciate all the feedback. It only helps me futher, better my knowledge of my chosen career. I am glad that that particular illusion, has been clarified.

Now I just wonder why it is even presented on the recruting website  ???

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 17:44:38 »
Unless you get into CANSOFCOM,  you won't do anything related to "special ops" as a Infantry Soldier in a Battalion.

I know its far off, but you never know, anything can happen. Maybe far in the future perhaps?

MikeL

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 17:45:40 »
Now I just wonder why it is even presented on the recruting website  ???

I don't see any mention of it on the website
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/infantrysoldier-4#info-1

I know its far off, but you never know, anything can happen. Maybe far in the future perhaps?

You aren't even in yet,  I would focus more on the getting in part then BMQ, etc then the anything can happen,  maybe in the future.  Get in, get trained,  learn the job get experience and then consider other options if you are still even interested in that route.

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 17:46:58 »
I don't see any mention of it on the website
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/infantrysoldier-4#info-1

Its is mentioned briefly in the video.

4:49.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 17:50:06 by RyaeC »

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 18:06:18 »

You aren't even in yet,  I would focus more on the getting in part then BMQ, etc then the anything can happen,  maybe in the future.  Get in, get trained,  learn the job get experience and then consider other options if you are still even interested in that route.

HAHA, good point Sir. Maybe I am a little to ambitious. Is that a bad thing?

MikeL

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 18:10:06 »
HAHA, good point Sir. Maybe I am a little to ambitious. Is that a bad thing?

Not a Sir,  being ambitious isn't a bad thing,  but that ambition should maybe be directed towards what is immediately in front of you not at what is at least a couple years away.  As well,  getting into the Infantry may not even happen for awhile as the trade is not allowing in as large numbers as it used to.  Search a bit more and you will see threads by people who have been waiting to get into the Infantry for awhile.

Offline RyaeC

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 18:12:02 »
Not a Sir,  being ambitious isn't a bad thing,  but that ambition should maybe be directed towards what is immediately in front of you not at what is at least a couple years away.  As well,  getting into the Infantry may not even happen for awhile as the trade is not allowing in as large numbers as it used to.  Search a bit more and you will see threads by people who have been waiting to get into the Infantry for awhile.

Thank you, will do.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 19:01:32 »
Now that everyone has finished parsing each of your sentences without answering any of you questions (it is as much about fatigue from answering the same questions over and over again as it is about bluntness), I will try to provide some feedback.

The infantry is a very rewarding trade, but it is not for the fainthearted, the thin-skinned, the weak-kneed or the work-avoider.  It is very demanding physically, surprisingly (for the uninitiated) demanding intellectually, and will build your character like few other endeavours in your life will.  You will forge bonds with fellow soldiers that are literally unimaginable on civvie street.  You will endure mind-numbing boredom, soul-crushing routine, and life-defining challenges at various times throughout your career, and occasionally all in the same day.

Your gender is completely immaterial.  It could not matter less.  Only your performance, motivation and dedication will matter, and it is all that will be judged, but you need to understand that it will be judged harshly and without let up - for you as for every other soldier.

If you want that kind of challenge, then embrace it.  Don't overthink it.  Don't over-research it.  Ferchrissakes don't allow your decision to be based on the feedback from faceless people on the internet.  Just do it.  I guarantee that it will change you, one way or another, irrespective of whether or not you are successful in training, or whether you do it for 3, 6, 20 or 30 years.

Does that help?

"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline the 48th regulator

ego meorum solus sum meus.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • genero ferocia decerto
    • the 48th regulator's wares
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 19:33:15 »
Thank you PPCLI Guy,

Please folks, let us keep this civil.  I do not want to close this thread, however, I will monitor it an punish those that do not follow guidelines.

RyaeC, explore the site, as you will find many of the questions that come to mind, have more than likely already have been answered in our forums.

dileas

tess

milnet.ca moderator
I never ****ed anybody over in my life didn't have it coming to them. You got that? All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

- Tony Montana: Scarface