Author Topic: A Toast to Absent Friends  (Read 10309 times)

Offline ModlrMike

: It's ridin' time!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
A Toast to Absent Friends
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:58:36 »
Does anyone have the text of the Robbie Burns poem by this name? I may need it in the near future and my google-fu didn't help.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.
#49 | Rank: 273 | Cbt Exp: 20,640,154 | Msns: 2,650

Offline the 48th regulator

ego meorum solus sum meus.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • genero ferocia decerto
    • the 48th regulator's wares
Re: A Toast to Absent Friends
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:57:37 »
A toast to friends, was not a Robbie Burns poem.  It is actually just what it says a toast to the Absent.  The Person giving this toast makes this on up, and personalizes it with names of friends that are absent.  He may also make it short and sweet, A Toast to Absent Friends.

I did find this one;

A Toast to Absent Friends
"to absent friends
to those we have met
to those we have yet to meet
to those who have left us for a while
and to those who have left us forever

let us lift our glasses
and drink a toast
that they may abide in our hearts
forever

to absent friends"

dileas

tess

I never ****ed anybody over in my life didn't have it coming to them. You got that? All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

- Tony Montana: Scarface

Offline ModlrMike

: It's ridin' time!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Re: A Toast to Absent Friends
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 15:34:04 »
That's probably the one I was thinking of. I'm not certain whether it is or is not ascribed to Burns, but it's in his style.

Thanks!
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.
#49 | Rank: 273 | Cbt Exp: 20,640,154 | Msns: 2,650