Author Topic: Discovery Channel special: Anatomy of a Warship: HMCS Winnipeg  (Read 11815 times)

Offline NJL

• Rate Post
http://www.exn.ca/onTv/episode.asp?episode=43807947&TZ=0

Hour long special.. very interesting to watch... showed the ship going through different training exercises (man overboard/ missile defense tactics/ boarding party).. talked alot about the navy and life on the ship, ships capabilities, etc.. I might even watch the rerun, it was that good.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 10:16:30 by NJL »

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Re: New Discovery Channel special: Anatomy of a Warship: HMCS Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:21:29 »
Great show, but it's hardly new.
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline FinClk

• Scallywag
  • Rate Post
  • Ahoy, the chocalate chip kind.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 07:37:36 »
Agreed, this was first aired a few years back and is rerun every few months or so.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 08:57:30 »
I saw it yesterday...

My only question, as I have never actually served on ship, is; was it accurate?
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Not_So_Arty_Newbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:42:34 »
Very much so, of course it's hyped up a bit, but technically speaking its a sound production.

Offline NJL

• Rate Post
Re: Discovery Channel special: Anatomy of a Warship: HMCS Winnipeg
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 10:18:21 »
there I fixed the subject header... it was new to me though lol... looked fairly recent compared to other military specials I've seen on TV.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 10:31:10 »
Aren't we happy they didn't do this made for TV special on HMCS Saskatoon
Chimo!

I have been turned into a ferret by the resident witch!!
And back again..... what a ride!

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 10:36:29 »
that one would be an after school special

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 11:02:22 »
I woulda thought it would be an "education" unto itself.
Certainly an educational video on everything that can go wrong.... and did!
Just think of the cheezy video clip they show when teaching MIL LAW... 
Chimo!

I have been turned into a ferret by the resident witch!!
And back again..... what a ride!

aesop081

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 11:38:02 »
already a thread on the Saskatoon thing folks.....

milnet.ca staff

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Reprogramming the brain box back to civilian life.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 12:05:12 »
Very much so, of course it's hyped up a bit, but technically speaking its a sound production.

Hyped up how?
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 00:03:08 »
don't get me wrong it's right on the money technicaly speaking, but lets face it doesn't get into life on a long deploymeny and I never did walk down a bulkhead in a 30 Degree turn outside the main cave, but somebody did in the production.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 02:01:39 »
I have several times during action stations when the ships I have been conducting TCMs, ASMD, during a man overboard. Just to name a few instances....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 12:29:17 by Ex-Dragoon »
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 10:13:31 »
I'll admit I've come close, and walked at some funny angles, but never on the bulkhead, theres too much crap mounted to it to make any progress.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 12:28:26 »
I'll admit I've come close, and walked at some funny angles, but never on the bulkhead, theres too much crap mounted to it to make any progress.

Then all and all its not really hyped then is it? With your post you made it look seem that they only did it for the show whereas it does happen out of necessity...

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 12:46:36 »
This is true, but the show did only show the positives, and none of the negatives. Take that same documentary crew onboard say around day 17 of a 22 day patrol and see how willing the ships coy is to participate in the producition. Don't get me wrong things like this are good for both the Navy and the Forces in general but by omitting the less than perfect day to day life onboard is misleading. They don't show things like twice daily cleaning stations (essential activity in my mind) or working a long mids and staying up for the forenoon storing from a barge then standing the afternoon watch followed by cleaning stations then rounds, then some sleep for a few hours before the long mids again. Doesn't happen often but man when it does its a real bag drive, and at the end of a patrol before going alongside makes for some bloody short tempers.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 12:51:27 »
Come on now.....how many shows out there that are used to lure people into a certain field glamourize the negative aspects? I can't think of any....the ones that do just show the negative things and none of the positive things....most sailors will force a positive attitude as well because they know this will be aired back home and not many of them wish to show their loved ones if they are miserable or not. From my experience those that are truly miserable will avoid the film crews anyways.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 13:09:17 »
From my experience those that are truly miserable will avoid the film crews anyways.

Or they won't have a choice with their avoidance one way or the other, and they will be hidden away lest they say or do something inappropriate.  We all know a few like that!
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea
#3 | Rank: 2047 | Cbt Exp: 8,596,613,535 | Msns: 13,181

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 13:15:30 »
Or they won't have a choice with their avoidance one way or the other, and they will be hidden away lest they say or do something inappropriate.  We all know a few like that!

too true!

Offline painswessex

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 05:14:16 »
Hello everyone, I can tell you personally i was on the ship at the time of that documentry i was even part of it (namely the VICTUALLER). It was alot of fun to do and be part of. It was a well done documentry although they did get in the way a few times when we were trying to do door and hatch procedure it got prety heated when the nozzle man had to push them away so he could crack the door to the small arms locker. All in all, as any sailor knows, it was a very accurate representation of life, albeit small, at sea.

Leading Seaman Mike Hart
HMCS Winnipeg
2002-2004
"the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,"  - Edmund Burke

Offline CivCanuck

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 22:58:54 »
If anyone wants to see this it's on next week:
Mon, Oct 8, 2007 at 10:00 AM  (ET)

http://www.exn.ca/onTv/series.asp?series=43601428&TZ=0

As someone with interest in the navy, I really want to watch this (although I'll have to get someone to tape it for me - I don't have cable right now)

Offline Gho57rid3r

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 13:33:14 »
For the first time seeing the HMCS Winnipeg, I thought it was a great documentary. Nothing better then getting some good hype for the Navy and for our Forces, anything that will show us in a positive light I am all for.  If I could get permission I would even show it to my cadets, as I think they would find it interesting as well. Here is to hoping that we will see more of these documentaries for the Navy and all elements.
Those Who Risk Win

Offline Delicron

• Rate Post
  • Onward.
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 14:23:10 »
This may be horribly short notice, but I thought I would post it here in case someone was interested.  This program is back on Discovery in an hour so...

1pm Mountain Time, January 14th, 2008.

I haven't seen it yet, but it does look very interesting as I think it would directly relate to my MARS application  ;D .
"You are what you think you are, at any given time." - James Burke
"I will not be denied!" -Killswitch Engage

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 19:37:34 »
This may be horribly short notice, but I thought I would post it here in case someone was interested.  This program is back on Discovery in an hour so...

1pm Mountain Time, January 14th, 2008.

I haven't seen it yet, but it does look very interesting as I think it would directly relate to my MARS application  ;D .

Thanks Delicron. I was able to catch it during my lunch hour.

Watching it- especially the first 15-20 minutes which included a segment on the ship's NBPs- brought a number of questions to mind:

1.) Do the aircrew members of the Sea King helo detachment also get a chance to participate in NBP duty? Or their MOCs are such that they do not have time/schedule to do so?

2.) Do aircrew members get to wear those ship's crew baseball caps as well? Or they are not considered part of usual Aircom officers or NCMs' work dress for embarked air crews?

I'm just curious; thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 19:41:53 by CougarDaddy »
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline civvy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • HMCS Toronto
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 19:47:53 »
I saw it for the first time today. Kinda makes me wish I could be MARS. :-\
We\'re not the public service of Canada, we\'re not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005

- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff