Author Topic: Vision Questions Megathread, Categories, Problems etc.  (Read 173804 times)

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
Re: Eye-Testing problem/question
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2002, 14:45:00 »
To get into the Combat Arms, you need to get v3 category for vision, or better. Here‘s a handy link that will give you some information on it;

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/policies/med_standards/pdf/Engraph/cfp154_annexAappen_e.pdf

ninty9

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2002, 23:40:00 »
Intesting, but it makes no sense to me.  I suppose what it tells me that there is no set vision requirements or a set number.  It varys from person to person and that person is required to go through eye exams to see where they stand.

I wear contacts and have -3 in my right eye and -3.5 in my left I believe.  Is it unheard of with someone with that prescription to get in?

What was your eyesight at Frederik G?

Ian

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2002, 00:48:00 »
You‘ll be fine with that sort of prescription. I have similar eyes to yours and I‘m in Armoured, which has the same eyesight requirements as Infantry. Shouldn‘t be a problem.

Good luck.

Dacier

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2002, 06:22:00 »
Are contacts allowed to be worn, or is glasses the norm?  I wear contacts and would like to continue to do so.

Anyone know what the infantry prefers?

Offline ~RoKo~

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2002, 10:04:00 »
You can wear contacts if you want, but it probably won‘t be too good for your eyes. If you‘re in the field, and are awake for at least 20 hours a day, and don‘t have much time or resources to clean up and remove your contacts, it will be pretty bad for your eyes after a while.

I personally wear glasses on course and longer exs, but for short exs and parade days I wear my contacts.

ninty9

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2002, 13:43:00 »
Thanks for the info everyone.

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2002, 16:58:00 »
I‘m V4, from what they told me. I think I have -4 or so in both eyes, too, but I can‘t figure out if I‘d be in V3 or not from the table Korus posted.

The unit‘s recruiter said I‘d probably be ok to get in, but the recruiting center didn‘t think so...
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline MethylSilane

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2002, 20:00:00 »
My understanding (and DON‘T take this as gospel) is that if your vision can be corrected to 6/6, you won‘t have much of a problem.

Offline combat_medic

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2002, 11:12:00 »
That‘s not entirely true. If you‘re legally blind (or pretty close) without glasses/contacts, then they won‘t be able to accept you. If your correction is much past -4 in each eye, you may have difficulty getting into combat arms. This question comes up all the time in this forum. If you‘re extremely concerned, you can always just get laser surgery and have it over with (but you still can‘t be a pilot).
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Dacier

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2002, 17:00:00 »
Does laser eye surgery hurt night vision at all?
Or is that just a rumor that the squirrels are saying outside my window?

I have heard that after the surgery, you have to wait a year till you can apply for the army.  Sometimes the surgery "wears off".

Offline ~RoKo~

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2002, 19:19:00 »
For some people, yes, for others no... Depends on how much correction needs to be done.

And Combat Medic is correct, if you‘re blind without glasses, you become a liability if you lose them in the field.

I myself am thinking of getting the surgery, but probably not for a few more years until my eyes settle.. (They seem to have already, but I figure I‘ll wait..)

Offline MethylSilane

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2002, 06:50:00 »
If you know your perscription (cylinder and sphere), you can apply this formula --

(cylinder/2)+sphere

--if the result you get is less than 7.00, you‘ll be fine.

Duncan2002

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2002, 20:44:00 »
I have been considering joining the Infantry for many years now and going career as a sniper. The problem is, I have a defect in my left eyes which causes things to the left of the center of the vision in that eye, to disappear. That may seem confusing to you, but let me put it into perspective. If I were looking at the bridge of your nose from about 10 metres away, your right eye, doesn‘t exist. Is this a problem?  :sniper:

Offline ~RoKo~

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2002, 20:56:00 »
I beleive it would be, as far as I know you need perfect vision to be a sniper..

Duncan2002

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2002, 21:21:00 »
Damn.... thanks anyway.  :crybaby:    :sniper:

Dacier

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2002, 06:20:00 »
I never understood the draw of the sniper.  I think it would be incredible boring most of the times.

Offline SpinDoc

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2002, 11:24:00 »
Perhaps it‘s the image of being the lone soldier-sniper and all that, where as if you‘re a soldier you‘re working in a team environment.  The concept of being a "lone wolf" is... romantic?

My impression (hopefully correct) is that snipers work in teams... you have an observer who watches your back and also helps you with the target.  I don‘t think military snipers by design usually romp around alone with not a soul within a klick...

I‘ll bet if we changed the term to sharpshooters, half the romanticism evapourates...

Offline combat_medic

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2002, 11:53:00 »
People see movies like "Enemy at the Gates" or "Saving Private Ryan" and think that being a sniper is all glamour and glory. The thought is that they send you out into the jungle, on your own, and kill whatever crosses your path.

What people don‘t realize is that what snipers are often asked to do is cross an open field, over the course of hours/days, to go without sleep and food so that you can pull the trigger once, get one kill, and crawl back.

I heard a story (previously repeated here) about some US sniper in Vietnam who spent 2 days crossing a field of 300m to get a clear shot at a target. That‘s some serious patience, but think of how much that would also really suck!!
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Duncan2002

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2002, 17:55:00 »
I know perfectly well that life as a sniper is no-where the same as the movies, but i have a very good shot and thought i could use that to my advantage.  :sniper:

Offline ~RoKo~

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2002, 22:06:00 »
uhm.. nevermind.

Offline portcullisguy

• Rate Post
  • Border Services Officer
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2002, 01:45:00 »
Eye chart:  6/6 is 20/20.  Except the chart is in metric.  Multiply the numbers by 3 and you have the eye chart in feet.

Eye surgery:  I recommend it.  But then again, it worked out fine for me.  No loss of night vision, only see starbursts at night when my eyes are tired, and I can usually force my eyes to focus it off anyway.  Doesn‘t affect the rest of my vision, as I don‘t stare at bright lights much at night.  I can read licence plates easily at 4-5 car lengths, whereas before surgery, I couldn‘t read a licence plate at all without contacts/glasses.

Snipering:  Again, I don‘t see the attraction.  I‘d love to do a sniper course, and perhaps a recce course, but have no desire to spend days on end mvoing miniscule distances, ****ting in a plastic bag, not being able to whisk skeeters off my forehead for risk of giving my position away.  Too many people saw "Sniper" or "Enemy at the Gates" i think.  Having the skills is useful, being alone in the middle of the boonies with a rifle is not very useful.  This is not Stalingrad 1942, we are in a whole new concept of war operations.

Christmas:  Have a merry one.  Or happy holidays.  Whatever floats your boat.  And happy new year.
portcullisguy

non dormiverit gladius meus - dileas gu brath

48 Highrs

Duncan2002

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2002, 21:00:00 »
***T... thanks for putting it in the light..... i guess it‘ll just be regualr infantry for me.  :mg:    :D

jubei_yagyu

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2003, 03:56:00 »
well ok i read all your posts am i preety sure my eye sight will be good enough.

i can see thing fine without my glasses moreorless
see anything beond 3 feet becomes blure but i can still see them i wear -125 glasses what ever that mean my eyes are the same.

so if you can uderstand what im trying to say i should be fine right?  :(

Dacier

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2003, 06:22:00 »
Best way to find out if your eyes are well enough, is to go down to the Recruiters.  They don‘t bite, they are their to help, and its  free.

nbk

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2003, 14:55:00 »
I heard that to be a sniper you need 20/20 vision or vision correctable to 20/20 (via glasses, etc, although they may prove a liability if busted, and they give off reflections).

Any truth to this? Any snipers on the board?

And wouldn‘t the lens on the scope correct your vision for you? I always take off my glasses before looking through binoculars for example.