Author Topic: SAR Tech  (Read 230210 times)

Offline Scott

likes kicking bee hives.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho
Re: SAR Techs
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2004, 01:04:47 »
I believe you must have completed your first engagement and have signed on for your second to be considered (Corporal does make sense) as far as Officers being unable to apply, I have never heard that before.

License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2004, 11:58:17 »
Any branch can apply to be a SAR Tech though you will be rebadged Air Force, you have to have completed 4 years in your MOC, and yes there are only NCM SAR Techs. Zoomie is in Comox where the SAR school is located and he could confirm the non-existence of officer SAR Techs.  There are officer's wearing SAR Tech wings, but they are all former NCMs that went officer and are no longer serving SAR techs.

You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2004, 15:03:58 »
Zoomie is in Comox where the SAR school is located and he could confirm the non-existence of officer SAR Techs.

Yup, SARTechs are only NCMs...  Officers fly, NCM's jump.

I would say that 80-90 % of those who apply to become a SARTech are ex-Army.  Most candidates are seen sporting their white operational CF Jump Wings.  Not to say that an AVN tech can't become one too, just the current trend doesn't quite support that notion.  Most AVN techs will either OT to Flight Engineer or AESOP.

rescue randy

Re: SAR Tech
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 16:23:12 »
 :gunner: :skull: :skull: :cdn:
I was a SAR Tech from 1982 until 1997.   If you want the latest info on the trade and also the history of the trade which is 60 years old this year.... go to www.pararescuecanada.com   .     Our 60th reunion is in Winnipeg Sept 8-12, 2004.
Good luck to all aspiring SAR Techs.

rescue randy

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2004, 16:46:41 »
 :evil: :skull:
The Trade has seen a huge decline in applicants inn recent years, partly due to JTF attracting many, and many still think they will have a one in fivehundred chance of getting picked.  The past few years everyone who applied was able to attempt the preselection course, and had a fair chance to get on the course.  Good Luck. :salute:

Offline PPCLI WO

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2004, 01:30:07 »
Application to MOC 131 SAR Tech is done through the Continuing Occupational Transfer Program(COTP).  The prerequisite is 48 months service in a Regular Force trade and you must hold the minimum rank of Cpl.  If you are a higher rank and are selected for your QL5A, you lose your rank until you complete your first year when you are automatically promoted to MCpl.

The process for application to SAR Tech is:

1.  Submit a memo through your chain of command requesting a transfer to MOC 131 SARTech;
2.  Complete CFAO 11-12 Annex D;
3.  Complete the SAR Tech Pre-Selection Physical Fitness Test which is conducted by the PSP staff at your closest gym.  The test consists of:

DAY 1
i) 2.4km run (10:15 or less);
ii) 31 consecutive push-ups;
iii) 33 consecutive sit-ups;
iv) 8 consecutive chin-ups; and
v) 450m shuttle run.
All of the above must be completed in 16 Min's or less.

DAY 2
i) 675m continuous swim in 20 Min's or less (any stroke).

4.  Upon successful completion of your PT test you are interviewed by your B/WPSO. If are found suitable by CFRGHQ in Ottawa you will be invited to attempt a two-week pre-selection held at CFB Edmonton and Jarvis Lake, Alberta.  You will also be required to pass the CF Aircrew and Dive medicals.

Approx. 24 candidates attend selection and 12 are selected for QL5A training.  Those selected then attend an 11 month course held at CFSSAR in Comox.

Those who pass earn the right to wear the coveted orange beret and live by the SAR motto: "That Others May Live"

Good luck to all those interested.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2004, 09:45:55 »
Count on the MCpl's to set you straight (well done PPCLI)...

I would say that SAR tech and JTF operators are both special forces on opposite sides of the coin. In both you'd have to opportunity to do cool extreme sport-like things (Parachuting, diving, rock work, rappelling) and be physically and mentally challenged in ways only those in military service can be. One big difference, IMHO is "gun play". As mentioned above SAR, being predominately domestic, have no req to work with weapons.

One thing not mentioned here is the Medical Category required. You must have a V2 level of vision and CV1 level of colour vision to qualify. V3 (need to wear glasses or vision more then 50/20) will not allow you to even apply for SAR (hence why Armymedic is still a medic  :'().

I have seen all trades get into SAR, but in the army, MOC's like Cbt engineer (para /cbt diver qualified), and para qualified medics seem to do particularly well.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Nat. Cap. Girl

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2004, 20:21:07 »
and yes there are only NCM SAR Techs.

That's really stinky!! how come officers can't?

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2004, 20:29:09 »
That's just the way it is, it's an NCM trade like AESOPs and FEs. Pilots and Navs are officers.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2004, 20:32:38 »
What would or could officers do?   Nothing.   SAR Techs have officers above them to fly planes, do administration, Dentists, Doctors, etc., but not doing the job of SAR Tech.

Officers don't drive tanks or trucks.   Officers don't fire guns (artillery).   Officers don't do SAR Tech stuff.

Gw
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline PPCLI WO

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2004, 22:13:39 »
Application to MOC 131 SAR Tech is done through the Continuing Occupational Transfer Program(COTP).  The prerequisite is 48 months service in a Regular Force trade and you must hold the minimum rank of Cpl.  If you are a higher rank and are selected for your QL5A, you lose your rank until you complete your first year when you are automatically promoted to MCpl.

The process for application to SAR Tech is:

1.  Submit a memo through your chain of command requesting a transfer to MOC 131 SARTech;
2.  Complete CFAO 11-12 Annex D;
3.  Complete the SAR Tech Pre-Selection Physical Fitness Test which is conducted by the PSP staff at your closest gym.  The test consists of:

DAY 1
i) 2.4km run (10:15 or less);
ii) 31 consecutive push-ups;
iii) 33 consecutive sit-ups;
iv) 8 consecutive chin-ups; and
v) 450m shuttle run.
All of the above must be completed in 16 Min's or less.

DAY 2
i) 675m continuous swim in 20 Min's or less (any stroke).

4.  Upon successful completion of your PT test you are interviewed by your B/WPSO. If are found suitable by CFRGHQ in Ottawa you will be invited to attempt a two-week pre-selection held at CFB Edmonton and Jarvis Lake, Alberta.  You will also be required to pass the CF Aircrew and Dive medicals.

Approx. 24 candidates attend selection and 12 are selected for QL5A training.  Those selected then attend an 11 month course held at CFSSAR in Comox.

Those who pass earn the right to wear the coveted orange beret and live by the SAR motto: "That Others May Live"

Good luck to all those interested.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2004, 23:14:24 »
Six pack grow up.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Aquilus

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2004, 03:04:23 »
could you explain the 450m shuttle run?

Offline PPCLI WO

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2004, 21:03:15 »
The 450m Shuttle Run is conducted using 2 sets of Traffic Pylons(or similar markers) placed 50 meters apart.  You have to run 9 times back and forth between the pylons without stopping. 

During the PT test during Selection in Edmonton, you also have to climb two 30 foot ropes after the Shuttle Run.  The PT test in Edmonton(including the rope climb) must be conducted in 17 minutes or less.  Immediately after the test you move to the pool for your 675m swim test.

Hope this helps.

Offline Righty(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • I'm so freaking cool
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2004, 22:47:18 »
If are found suitable by CFRGHQ in Ottawa you will be invited to attempt a two-week pre-selection held at CFB Edmonton and Jarvis Lake, Alberta

I get the feeling that those two weeks are hell... (i keeping envisioning a hell week or something like that)

Offline Spr.Earl

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2004, 23:01:29 »
I meet the SAR TECHS out of Comox nearly every year(not the same ones) at the Abbotsford Airshow and they are the most amiable guys you could ever meet,so relaxed  and layed back and come to think of it all of them are like that.
A Special Breed. :salute:

Many years ago we Eng. lost a good friend who went SAR TECH.
The C 130 he was in was doing a search over Labrador,when she went down with the whole crew.

To me they are the unsung HEROES of our Forces.

THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2004, 09:27:50 »
One big thing for SAR is your vision category must be no lower then V2. Without my references avail (like I memorize this stuff   ::)), I believe its better than 6/24 or 20/80. (Armymedic is V3   :'()

IMO, the "Special" of SAR and JTF are quite similar. I know many medics and engineers (cbt diver/para qualified) did SAR selection and qualify for the job. All who do it love their job and wouldn't want to do anything else.

Know pers in both jobs, they are both punctuated by periods of boredom, training, with highs of extreme "fun". Big difference, SAR being only domestic, have no need for the intense wpns training the JTF do.

Oh, and SAR is a little easier on the home life once you're at the Sqn.

The point....Both are high skill level jobs which will challenge you in ways you've never been before.

"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Mountain_marc

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2004, 09:59:42 »
Don't mean to bring this thread back to life, but I do have a questions concercing Sartechs. Is there an age limit for applying and such?

Offline Wartide

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2004, 22:43:13 »
Stories about the SAR guys being the most laid back and friendliest guy's are true enough.   But once a mission's on, they don't give up until they succeed.   From what I've seen, there's no one who works harder anywhere else in the forces.
Travel light, Hit hard.

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • If the Coyote catches you, you're through ..
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2004, 23:08:44 »
Don't mean to bring this thread back to life, but I do have a questions concercing Sartechs. Is there an age limit for applying and such?

After looking at your profile, did you mean to ask if there is an upper age limit? 

Mountain_marc

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2004, 09:58:14 »
Well, for instance, if someone that was 32-33 years old and wanted to apply for SARtech, would he be considered to old? And once a SARtech, do they automatically retire you from SAR work if you're 40, 45 or whatever?

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2004, 14:46:37 »
I do not believe that there is an upper-age limit for acceptance into the SARTech trade.  Keep in mind that the younger you are, the better your body can take the abuse that is heaped upon you during your 12 month long course.

Most of the boys in Orange here at 442 are in there mid twenties to early 40's.  The ST chief, a MWO, is in 50's at least but probably the fittest 50 year old in the CF!

CivU

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2004, 23:36:23 »
Sar Tech's are some of the most highly trained members of the CF.

They may not be at the range as often as the combat arms, but they are operational more than any other trade and serve a purpose that is uncomparable, they save lives. Full stop.

Any CF member should be proud to become a SAR Tech...it is the most admirable trade in the Canadian Forces.

Ex-Zipperhead

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2004, 10:01:55 »
Don't mean to bring this thread back to life, but I do have a questions concerning Sartechs. Is there an age limit for applying and such?

I just found this site and it's the first time I've used this board, so I hope I'm not screwing this up.

I just did the SAR Preselection this year and the average age was about 33, I was 34 and oldest was 39.
The PT test is the easiest part of the whole two weeks. We finished with 18 People from the 24, some just quit and other got hurt too bad.
I wasn't one of the 12 picked in the end and if I hadn't being offered AESOP I would of applied again this year.

If you want more info you can contact me, the more you know the better prepared you will be.

Offline SierraAir

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2004, 17:12:50 »
Hi Zipperhead,

I tried to PM you but it said I couldn't. Could you tell me a bit of went went on during the SAR tech selection. there are lots of rumors floating around and it would be great to get some clarity for once.

Thanks in advance!