Author Topic: How to polish new boots.  (Read 83290 times)

andrew123

How to polish new boots.
« on: September 25, 2004, 20:31:17 »
Hi, I read the other thread, for boot polishing, and I just have a few questions.
I got myself a can of kiwi polish and a horsehair brush, applicator brush.

This afternoon, I went to work on my new boots. I applied the polish all over, let it sit for about 30 seconds, then I brushed all over using the large brush. I repeated this around 3 times.

I noticed, the toe part of the boot is already becoming smooth and somewhat shiny, but the rest of the boot remains dull, and the original texture is still there (my boots have a sort of bumpy texture).

So I was wondering, do I just have to repeat this many more times? And does the toe party just polish easier than the rest of the boot?

Also, I seem to have gone through about 1/2 of the 70g can, is this normal, or am I using too much.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
Re: How to polish new boots.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 20:40:43 »
The only parts that really shine up are the toes and the outsides of the heels on mine.  The rest is still shiny, just not smooth, it's not supposted to be, the MkIIIs have a bumpy texture to them so don't worry too much about smoothing them out. If your's are dull, you're probably using too much polish.  Just a dab on the applicator and spread it around on the boot, then buff with the big brush. I used to go through a big tin of polish in about a month, maybe more if we were in the field a lot.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

lfejoel25

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 21:05:29 »
i don't know if this works or not, but i was told to apply with hot water, and brush with cold water.  the guy who told me that said it made them shinier.

D-n-A

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 21:37:31 »
I don't use any water when I polish my boots. Also you don't need to use a lot of polish on the boots(like Inch said). If you want to get more of a shine on them, get a kiwi cloth.

Offline Matt_Fisher

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Former Marine
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 21:40:18 »
What boots are you talking about here?   For combat boots, what you're doing sounds fine.   However for your ankle/parade boots, you're going to need to do the "spit shine" approach using a kiwi cloth and polish rather than the brush.

Developing a really good spit shine takes a long long time with a new pair of boots.   

Here's what you need for materials:
Tin of Kiwi Brand black polish
Kiwi brand flannel polishing cloth
Container filled with cold water

Hold out the kiwi cloth in your left hand and take your index finger on your right and wrap a section of the cloth around your finger.

Then dip the cloth around your finger in the water until the cloth is moist.

Then lightly dab the cloth in the tin of polish, but you don't want to end up with a big gob of polish.   Little amounts of polish work better.

Then rub the polish on the cloth onto the boot in small circular motions, not pressing too hard.   Lighter is better.

After the polish seems to have been rubbed into the leather, pick up the boot and bring it to your face and breath onto the leather and continue rubbing the cloudy portion of the leather to further work the polish into the leather.

Repeat this process of wetting the rag, applying polish and breathing onto the boot and continuing rubbing several hundred times on each part of the boot and you'll end up with black leather mirrors.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Reprogramming the brain box back to civilian life.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 21:45:04 »
I do the same as Matt only I put an ice cube in my water.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • If the Coyote catches you, you're through ..
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 21:47:05 »
No matter what boots, I found I if I brushed vigourously about three coats on before spit polish, the paste seems to adhere better as one thin coat of polish binds to another. Thereafter, brushing and spit polishing seems easier ...but the key seemed to be the adherence of the 3 base coats.   

Offline AlphaCharlie

• Rate Post
  • Pro Patria
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 00:29:38 »
Give it time. I've polished my boots maybe... 70-80 times now and they hold a decent shine.
Ducimus. We Lead.

NavyGrunt

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 00:53:30 »
Hey Ex- do you polish our white oxfords the same way? And do I use that shite polish by kiwi? Mine should be here this week and Im trying to figure out how I polish them

Offline condor888000

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 16:31:42 »
The best way to buff parade boots is to take an old piece of pantyhose and use it to buff once you're done applying the polish. It will really bring out the shine. Just don't pull too hard on the toe or it'll scratch the boot.
This is what it would have looked like had the plane crashed into a school for bunnies.

Offline a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 22:29:38 »
Matt,
With your technique, you use Cold Water... But Hot Water would heat up the Polish more so it would spread onto the boot more evenly.

What does Cold do differently then Hot?

Hot water would also make the wax softer, and thus it would stick to the cloth, as opposed to staying on the boot.
"I'm with the red hat ladies, and I thought there was an actual tea party... so there's no tea eh?"

Offline The Army Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 19:14:14 »
Do it yourself.  You didn't join cadets to let someone else do everything for you did you??  If you just work at it your boots will be fine in short order.  To answer your question (misguided though I think it is) no I have never had my shoes/boots sent for shinning.  I do mine myself.  Good luck with your boots.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy
Get on the bus get off the bus!!   Hurry up and wait!!   It's the way of the Canadian Military!!

Gotta love it.

Offline arrrrffff

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 04:58:59 »
I dun even use my brush anymore... the best way is to get yourself a microfibre cloth (like felt, but came with my leather sofa cleaner), and use that to spread the polish and shine your boots, by rubbing in side to side like mad. Hold one end of the cloth in each hand, and having your boots over a chai or just wear 'em, move the cloth side to side laterally really fast. In 10 secs you got yourself an easy mirror finish.  ;D

JSY Air Cadet

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 14:12:51 »
just search on google for asiest way to shine parade boots itll tell you every way you want to know so....  :dontpanic:

Offline zerhash

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 23:55:24 »
what does breathing on the boot do?
it clouds the boot i know but there is the already clouded part where i just polished and the clouded part from my reath just goes away
No Thrill Like OVERKILL!

CHIMO!

Offline mandal

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 00:08:23 »
keeps the polish moist while you are polishing your boot without flooding the boot with spit or water, and it works. breath on it by saying "HAAAAAAA". lol
Mandal

Offline zerhash

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 00:10:12 »
but what is the breathing supposed to do?
No Thrill Like OVERKILL!

CHIMO!

Offline ToRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 08:40:09 »
Fsgt_Mandal just told you that.

it keeps the polish moist.

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 11:01:50 »
but what is the breathing supposed to do?

The moisture from your warm breath condenses on the cooler boot/polish surface, thus providing some condensation moisture to the mix (as opposed to tap, undistilled or other less pure water).
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Offline RedSash

• Rate Post
  • WOG- Worn Out Grunt
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 11:33:20 »

OK, how have to put my 2 cents in........cbt boots don't need to be shined...just blackened and dirt free..now for parade boots, I will tell you my secrete and I have been doing it for years. Use Aqua Velva - - After Shave...use it on the boot, not to drink-lol....seriously...with the friction from rubbing and the alcohol it creates a kind of burn shine and you don't have to work as hard. Just when you start off, cold water buff the boots and then use the Aqua Velva instead of a tin of water. I never use parade gloss, just boot polish, kiwi cloth and aqua velva....I have tried everything...have over 14 yrs of experience polishing boots and this one works....just don't use a lot of polish on the cloth...little goes along way.....
EVERY MAN THINKS MEANLY OF HIMSELF FOR NOT HAVING BEEN A SOLDIER!     Samuel Johnson 1709-1779

NavyGrunt

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 14:04:25 »
OK, how have to put my 2 cents in........cbt boots don't need to be shined...just blackened and dirt free..now for parade boots, I will tell you my secrete and I have been doing it for years. Use Aqua Velva - - After Shave...use it on the boot, not to drink-lol....seriously...with the friction from rubbing and the alcohol it creates a kind of burn shine and you don't have to work as hard. Just when you start off, cold water buff the boots and then use the Aqua Velva instead of a tin of water. I never use parade gloss, just boot polish, kiwi cloth and aqua velva....I have tried everything...have over 14 yrs of experience polishing boots and this one works....just don't use a lot of polish on the cloth...little goes along way.....

You must smell like a brothel on parade LOL ;D

Offline 48Highlander

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Applied Ballistics
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2004, 14:13:17 »
Anything with alcohol does the same job.  Aftershave, rubbing alcohol, scotch, whatever.  The reason for using water or alcohol is to prevent the polish from sticking to the cloth and encourage it to bind to the leather.  Alcohol works better than water, so the purer the alcohol source you're using, the better the results will be.  If you're going to go this route, I'd suggest using rubbing alcohol instead of aqua velva.

Offline RecceO

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 14:22:17 »
When you use the alcohol on your boots do you soak your cloth in it then put polish on or is it just a light dab then put polish on it?

Offline ToRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2004, 14:49:24 »
Light dab, you don't want to soak it, just make it harder for the polish to stick to it.

Also, why would you want to, that stuff is expensive ;)

Offline a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend.
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2004, 15:06:44 »
Anything with alcohol does the same job.   Aftershave, rubbing alcohol, scotch, whatever.   The reason for using water or alcohol is to prevent the polish from sticking to the cloth and encourage it to bind to the leather.   Alcohol works better than water, so the purer the alcohol source you're using, the better the results will be.   If you're going to go this route, I'd suggest using rubbing alcohol instead of aqua velva.

I had heard that too, but after trying it with some rubbing alcohol, I found that the alcohol did not help, rather, it actually dissolved polish... any thoughts?
"I'm with the red hat ladies, and I thought there was an actual tea party... so there's no tea eh?"