Author Topic: The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian  (Read 59786 times)

wyzliu

Re: Poppy
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2004, 16:48:06 »
left side of my chest.

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
Re: Poppy
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2004, 05:44:50 »
Near your heart.
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Offline skura

• Rate Post
Re: Poppy (when wearing civilian clothes, or "civvies")
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2004, 17:50:05 »
Should it be worn throughout November, or just up to Remembrance Day?
-- skura

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other ******* die for his" -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Milnet.ca
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2004, 18:02:11 »
Only until remembrance day is the norm. (I've taken the poppies down here.) I generally return my poppy to the Legion (usually by way of the local cenotaph) so it can be re-used next year.
Good decision making comes from experience, which comes from bad decision making. - Mark Twain

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2004, 18:44:38 »
I've got a question is it a sign of disrespect to wear a poppy all the time? I was wondering that because I thougt it would be a sign of respect since most people only wear it for a week or so then take it off until next year. Correct me if I'm wrong thankx :salute:
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

Offline BajaBravo

• Rate Post
    • TacticalGames.NET
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2004, 09:32:18 »
I've got a question is it a sign of disrespect to wear a poppy all the time? I was wondering that because I thougt it would be a sign of respect since most people only wear it for a week or so then take it off until next year. Correct me if I'm wrong thankx :salute:

I've often wondered the same thing.

Also, an ex-British Army friend of mine was jacking me up the other day because I wore my poppy on the left. He said that because I was a serving member, I should be wearing it on the right side when in civies. I had never heard that before... there is a reasonable chance he was pulling my leg.
FIDELIS ET PARATUS

Offline atticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2004, 03:46:09 »
Only until remembrance day is the norm. (I've taken the poppies down here.) I generally return my poppy to the Legion (usually by way of the local cenotaph) so it can be re-used next year.

I decided to keep mine this year, my mother works at an old folks home and a vetran gave her a couple poppies with little maple leafs in the middle instead of the usual pin. An old chinese fellow who was in the infantry I might add.

Great thread, atticus!

It is important to know how to properly wear a poppy, in my opinion.

Thanks.
"Canada being mad at you is like Mr. Rodgers throwing a brick through your window." - John Stewart

Offline Bill Smy

• Rate Post
  • Recruit
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2004, 08:02:12 »
Should it be worn throughout November, or just up to Remembrance Day?

I wear mine from the first to the last day of November, the month of Remembrance.

"I have ate of the King's salt and therefore I conceive it to be my duty to serve with unhesitating zeal and cheerfulness when and where my King or his government may think proper to employ me."

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2004, 11:58:24 »
I've never heard of wearing the poppy all month - I usually shoot dirty looks at people starting 12 November who are still wearing them.  It says to me that they really didn't think about why they are wearing it and forgot to take it off. ;-)  The military wears it starting two weeks before Rememberance Day, and remove them on the 11th.

Anyone wearing one in February I just presume to be right out of it.
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2004, 21:01:14 »
 To clarify a few things..

A poppy is to be worn generally on the left side over the heart or as most people do, on the lapel.

I have asked more than a couple Vets about wearing the poppy and all have said that they don't mind  how long they get worn. In fact on my headdress year round I wear a poppy. It is not disrespectful and in my mind it indicates that Remembrance is more than just one day a year.

I may be right out of it but having played alongside, and for many vets I am showing nothing but respect and gratitude.

Offline Sailing Instructor

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2004, 23:04:21 »
I've heard a lot about wearing the poppy 'over the heart.'  Now, I'm not one of those people who get all riled up when people attribute emotions or whatever to a part of the anatomy separate from the brain but I will venture that this 'over the heart' explanation is false.  I rather believe the placement of the poppy and the placement of the heart are coincidal.  Let me explain:

1. Men's coats button in the front, usually with the left-hand side laying over the right (just a bit for single-breasted, more for DB).  This was orginally to permit right-handed men (the majority) to draw their swords without catching them on the fringe of their clothes.  This cut of coat/jacket therefore placed buttons on the right side and buttonholes on the left side of the jacket.  Eventually lapels were cut into the common shape we see them in today's suits, with the top part folded back instead of up as in a high-collared tunic. 

2. At some point after lapels were folded down, men decided to wear a flower in their buttonhole for style or whatever.  As the majority of coats are single-breasted (except for us sailors) and cut for right-handed men, the flower was necessarily on through the left-lapel, near the top.

3. After the Great War, when poppies were worn, they naturally followed the place of all other flowers: in the lapel buttonhole.  I imagine women would place them on the opposite side since that is where the buttonhole on women's coats is (presumably they don't have to draw a sword, or are all left-handed).

4.  On headdress:  I do not know if men wore poppies on their civvy hats as they would with military headdress. Perhaps not, because I do not recall hearing that civvy hats are as important as military headdress.  Though various hats were once a key part of various suits as dress & undress caps are a key part of various uniforms.  (Personally, I wear the poppy on my civvy hats if I happen to be wearing one during the beginning of Nov.)

Anyway, that's not the result of years of historical research, simply a different rational argument as to why the poppy is worn on the left.  Since I believe this argument, I wish poppies came with wire stems so they could be placed properly in the buttonhole instead of pinned near it.  I also get irritated (not a lot, I'm not obsessive!) when I see women having pinned a poppy on their left lapel, leaving a forlorn buttonhole on their right.

I usually shoot dirty looks at people starting 12 November who are still wearing them.

Me too.

Offline Bill Smy

• Rate Post
  • Recruit
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2004, 03:33:14 »
I've never heard of wearing the poppy all month - I usually shoot dirty looks at people starting 12 November who are still wearing them.   It says to me that they really didn't think about why they are wearing it and forgot to take it off. ;-)  

In Niagara, it's not uncommon to see people wearing the poppy throughout November. I was downtown Fort Erie today, and saw three individuals wearing a poppy.
"I have ate of the King's salt and therefore I conceive it to be my duty to serve with unhesitating zeal and cheerfulness when and where my King or his government may think proper to employ me."

Offline zerhash

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2004, 03:53:51 »
hey i dont care when they wear the poppy. it commemorates all whove fallen regaurdless.

i dont care when they wear the poppy as long as they all wear it on the same day once a year. i cant RememBer which day that was... must have slipped my mind.... christmas? no?  :blotto:  :-X
No Thrill Like OVERKILL!

CHIMO!

Offline Freddy Chef

• Rate Post
The Wearing and Location of The Poppy
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2005, 08:33:05 »
I've been out of the CF for a while, but I knew "poppy on head-dress" was the traditional SOP.

A few years back I remember hearing "poppy on breast pocket".

What's this year's SOP?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:02:08 by Bruce Monkhouse »
Just MHO.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: Poppies, question.
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2005, 09:41:53 »
For civilian clothes? Left collar or over left breast pocket I suppose.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Chimo

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2005, 10:56:29 »
REMEMBRANCE DAY POPPIES

Remembrance Day Poppies are authorized for wear for a period of two weeks immediately preceding 11 Nov each year (commencing 28 Oct 05). Poppies are to be worn as follows:

a. service dress (DEU 3): centered on the left lower lapel of jackets and topcoats;

b. naval operational winter parka: centred on the left breast flap covering the zipper;

c. army operational winter parka (old pattern), IECS, CADPAT and combat rain jacket: worn on the front rank slip-on, at the top portion, just above the rank;

d. air force operational intermediate jacket: centred on the left breast flap covering the zipper;

e. air force operational heavy parka: located on the left breast flap covering the pocket; and

f. on the left pocket flap other uniforms or in the approximate area of the top left pocket on of all uniforms that do not have a pocket flap.

Hope this helps. Lest We Forget.  :salute:
All my heroes are soldiers...and all my soldiers are heroes.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2005, 11:44:09 »
hmmm... since we'll be wearing our gabardines for Nov 11th...
remember your "year of the veteran" pin... goes on right breast... where your name tag is on DEU.
Chimo!

I have been turned into a ferret by the resident witch!!
And back again..... what a ride!

Offline the 48th regulator

ego meorum solus sum meus.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • genero ferocia decerto
    • the 48th regulator's wares
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2005, 12:17:59 »
Here is some great information from VAC on the Poppy

dileas

tess
I never ****ed anybody over in my life didn't have it coming to them. You got that? All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

- Tony Montana: Scarface

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2005, 12:36:41 »
hmmm... since we'll be wearing our gabardines for Nov 11th...
remember your "year of the veteran" pin... goes on right breast... where your name tag is on DEU.

Sounds kind of wimpy.  Is that a Puzzle Palace requirement?
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2005, 13:16:21 »
well... uhhh... yeah
I figured that between the Rank pins and the poppy, we'd have plenty of hardware
but no one asked me for my opinion (readily available BTW)
Chimo!

I have been turned into a ferret by the resident witch!!
And back again..... what a ride!

Offline Freddy Chef

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2005, 14:34:46 »
Thank you, all.

If it still fits, thinking about DEU for a Remembrance Day ceremony.

Just MHO.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2005, 14:44:08 »
Thank you, all.

If it still fits, thinking about DEU for a Remembrance Day ceremony.

Still serving?

Offline Freddy Chef

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2005, 14:49:38 »
No. [Supplemental reserve, if I remember correctly.]

Big "No-No"?
Just MHO.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2005, 14:55:41 »
Good question.  I know as a civilian you are not entitled to wear the uniform anymore but as a member of the Supp Res, I really don't know.  Let me see if I can find anything in CFAO or elsewhere.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2005, 15:04:04 »
From what I can find in DAOD 5002-4, you be on active service to wear your uniform.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/5002/4_e.asp