Author Topic: The Depression / Anti Depressants Merged Thread  (Read 132801 times)

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
Re: Could any of the medical personnel answer a few questions?
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2004, 23:29:46 »
Out comes of the board  are reviewed often as long as the individual re-submits the application. By all means re apply in one year. If you feel that that decision is faulty then you can still request to be reviewed by an army Psychiatrist for a professional opinion. The other option is to have your case reviewed by a civi Phychiatrist and have that report forwarded to be attached to you file.

Good luck
I have spent my years under the world famous Physician Dr. Bin There-done-that and am now retired from the medical corps.
I have been to yougo as a combat engineer (CHIMO) and then another as a Critical Care RN at the role 3 MMU at KAF.

Offline Daveman

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2004, 08:02:24 »
Thank you for your reply.  That is encouraging.  Does anyone have any idea how often a re-application is successful?  Is it very difficult to change their minds?  I would rather avoid the cost of seeing my own psychiatrist, but am happy to do so if that is what it takes to convince the Army that I am not a risk. 

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2004, 10:39:49 »
I don't know how often they change their decisions but in lite of the information you gave on this forum it would not hurt to try.

I think that if you get a referral from your GP your visit to the shink will be covered under your provincial health plan but those are different for each province.
I have spent my years under the world famous Physician Dr. Bin There-done-that and am now retired from the medical corps.
I have been to yougo as a combat engineer (CHIMO) and then another as a Critical Care RN at the role 3 MMU at KAF.

Offline combat_medic

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2004, 13:35:00 »
Daveman: The best thing you can do to prepare for a re-application is to come armed with as much information and evidence as possible. Get your doctor to write up that you were misdiagnosed with depression (if this is the case) and the anti-depressants were unnecessary. Have documented evidence from your doctor of everything, and keep copies after you application goes in. Documents can go missing, and it never hurts to have a backup. The more prepared you are for the process, the easier it will be for you in the long run, and the better chance you have of turning their heads. If they see you put a ton of foresight and effort into your application, it will definitely help your chances.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline combat_medic

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
Re: Worried about medical
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2004, 13:41:54 »
Charlie: The first, and most important thing you must do before you apply is to actually find out whether you have ADHD or depression. Many doctors these days can be very quick to over-medicate kids, and it's entirely likely you have neither. Find a psychiatrist in your area or get a referral to one from your family doctor. Mention your history of medication, and have them give you a formal diagnosis of your condition, if any.

If you do not, in fact, have either, then have your doctor or psychiatrist wean you off the anti-depressants. Get documented evidence that you do not have clinical depression or ADHD, when you stopped taking meds, any adverse effects etc. etc.. In all likelihood, until you are off anti-depressants and sympton free for a while (usually a year), the CF will not let you in. If you still want to join, wait until a year after you got off meds, get all the documents pertaining to your condition from your doctor(s), and present it to the recruiting staff performing the medical exam. Like I keep telling everyone; the more valid, documented evidence you have that you're ok, the better your chances. Just saying you're fine is one thing, but a formal letter from a psychiatrist saying you're fine is what they'll pay attention to.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 15:02:25 by combat_medic »
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline Mr. Ted

• Rate Post
  • Pvt Infantry Reserve Ret‘d
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2004, 16:03:39 »
Another thing to do would be to seriously reevaluate your diet and excercise regemin.

Alot of kids diagnosed as depressed, hyperactive or ADD are simply eating too much crap, experiencing the sugar induced euphoria/crash, lacking excercise as well to regulate hormones and sitting in front of the TV too much.

Take a good hard look at your lifestyle - make any appropriate changes, determine if you are addicted to any food type/food allergy, determine if you consume too much alchohol, if you are involved in sports etc.  Then, if you are seriously feeling better you should follow up with your doctor.

NOTE - Do NOT go off meds without consulting your doc first.  There are many withdrawl symptoms associated with most Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors.  He may wean you off or reduce your dose.  Get your physician involved and ensure he gives you more than 3 minutes!

Mr. Ted
Veritas Omnia Vincit

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2004, 16:18:48 »
I am worried about my medical.

In the past I have had ADHD and Depression. Not sure If I really still have either.

As for the depression, I still take meds for it. I don't know if they actually do anything anymore, if they do theyre doing a fantastic 110% job at it.

What I would like to know is if I'm going to be discriminated (if thats the right word) against for it?????

Charlie, you have good reason to worry. The regular force will NOT take you if you have had a Dx of depression and have been requiring medications to control in within the last yr....as many others may have told you.
If you do not get selected for this reason do not dispair. There is a really good reason for this:
Currently, the number one cause of death amongst CF soldiers is:

no, not accidents, as is the case amongs non military people of the same age, but....suicide.

The CF is very serious about this issue and it is a real problem especially amongst deployed soldiers. So if you have already applied, expect to be denied, ask what you can do to be accepted, and reapply later.

In the meantime go to university or college and get an education...it shall not be a waste while you wait....

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 16:29:31 by Armymedic »
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2004, 16:46:36 »
Now for the rant.... :rage:

Charlie,

This is an idea you would want to bring up with the recruiter first, to make sure will be useful:

Is this what you did?

If I was in your shoes,

You NOT!!! If you were you'd see how silly your suggestion was in relation to what he was asking....
Get a note from you're doctor? Is that like a note from your mommy giving you permission to show up at school late? Like the CF will make a decision on employing a person for the next 25 yrs with a simple note from a doctor.
Last time I checked, just a "note" wouldn't be accepted by DMed Pol or Recruit Boards. Being actual doctors they like to see testing and other scientific evidence that you are fit.

And more then anything else: :rage: :rage:

Just an idea, don't know if would actually help or not. Give it some thought and talk to your recruiter about it before you do anything though.

If your not going to give good advice and just spout off Pieman, why don't you just close your pie hole.

Offline Daveman

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2004, 09:53:09 »
combatmedic:  I just read your post.  Thanks very much for your help.  I am seeing my family doctor for a referral next week and I will inquire of her regarding a letter outlining her position on this.  I will definitely keep your advice in mind.  Thanks again.

Charlie

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2004, 16:31:51 »
 :-\ Wooo..dude relax...whatever people said was just fine, they were just tryin to help.  Thanks for everyones imput. Ill have to wait till november to do my interview and such since i live in a remote community.  So I went to a phsychiatrist and he said i have very very very mild adhd and tourettes, which by 22 (when my brain is fully matured) will be all gone. He is going to right up a report which (he said, I have not read it yet), will say what i wrote above as well as  that if he were the military doctor he does not see any reason that i should not be accepted into the army.  And I have not had any signs of depression since i was 12 or 13 ...I am 18 now. And he's going to start taking me off the meds. Which supposedly werent for the depression but rather the adhd...which doesnt seem to be a problem anymore.  So thanks again everyone.  And lets just all get along, it makes it more pleasant for everyone.  Peace

Offline Pieman

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2004, 17:09:31 »
Is this what you did?

Quote from: Pieman on July 26, 2004, 13:08:29
If I was in your shoes,

You NOT!!! If you were you'd see how silly your suggestion was in relation to what he was asking....
Get a note from you're doctor? Is that like a note from your mommy giving you permission to show up at school late? Like the CF will make a decision on employing a person for the next 25 yrs with a simple note from a doctor.
Last time I checked, just a "note" wouldn't be accepted by DMed Pol or Recruit Boards. Being actual doctors they like to see testing and other scientific evidence that you are fit.

Actually if you REALLY MUST KNOW Armymedic, that IS what I did. So I was actually speaking from experience. Also, getting a letter (note, letter) from your doctor regards a past medical condition is actually quite common place in the recruiting process. (Do a search, quite common)   Many people gotten second opinion and evaluations outside the CF Doctors to support their medical file.   it does not mean a final decision your medical, but acts as support to your medical file.   The only difference between mine and Charlies situation is the time difference between the use of the medication. Which is why I said, he should talk to his recruiter about it and CLARIFY before he actually took any steps. Judging from Charlie's above post it sounds like he did just that and it is helping his situation.

If you had any problems with what I said, then why not talk about instead of launching into a personal attack?

Charlie, good luck with your application!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 17:47:24 by Pieman »
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline Torlyn

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2004, 17:50:26 »

Charlie, you have good reason to worry. The regular force will NOT take you if you have had a Dx of depression and have been requiring medications to control in within the last yr....as many others may have told you.
If you do not get selected for this reason do not dispair. There is a really good reason for this:
Currently, the number one cause of death amongst CF soldiers is:

no, not accidents, as is the case amongs non military people of the same age, but....suicide.

Really?  That's rather frightening.  I'm not questioning it, (obviously you know what you're talking about) but where did you find that info?  I haven't been able to find it anywhere public...  I suppose it stands to reason, given the battery of psychological testing the CF does.  Do you know if other military (US, Britian) have the same statistics?  (I'm more looking for a comparison to the other forces than anything.  Curiosity prior to joining, I guess.)  Thanks, Armymedic.

And to Charlie, when I was younger, I was also diagnosed with ADHD.  My father (bless him) refused medication for me for which I am thankful.  I have also had the opportunity to work with youth who have similar problems (ADHD & depression), and I'm sure that once you are cleared from the medication, not only will you be able to apply to the CF, but will be a much better potential member as well.  Build a plan to get you from here to there, with your family, physician, and (use the resources available) the recruitment centre.  You've got a year, so now's the time to make sure your physical fitness is more than adequate.  Take a military history course via correspondence, something to keep your interest up in the meantime.  Nobody likes to wait, but done properly, waiting can be productive.  All the best,

B.N.S.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2004, 18:08:38 »
To all, ref my post to Pieman above, I will digress and apologize for my rude comments. Your last post was much more articulate then the first.

For all, if you are giving advice, try to put your frame of reference to the advice. It helps to say I did this, or my friend tried that so that people have a context of what you are talking about.

As you may guess, I am seriously against the recruitment of anyone with a history of mental health problems/diseases. Other then the fact too many soldiers kill themselves, knowing where I work and whom I have to deal with may give you some insight to the base of my opinion.

Ref actual numbers of suicides, I don't believe thats accessible, but it has been recognized and programs have been put in place to attempt to reduce the numbers. Initiatives such as reintegration training, pretour counselling and increasing numbers of social workers accessable to soldiers are a couple programs which are a direct result.

Offline Pieman

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2004, 18:24:23 »
Armymedic, thanks and apology accepted. I realise now that I also blundered when I wrote my original post. I was trying to write it in a way that kept my experince of the situation 'under the hat', but I see now that was a mistake which is what caused this little spat. So please accept my apology.

I think we can all understand your concern about the mental health of soldiers coming into the forces.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline *CDN*Blackhawk

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2004, 22:10:56 »
Being ADD or ADHD doesnt mean they are goona say no to you, infact they will ask for your Doctors note saying that it will not effect you with training and duties..
How do i know this, Becuase I am ADD and this is what i was asked to get, and regardless to contrary belief, ADD is with you for life, some learn to coax with it better to almost the point it doesnt really affect them anymore, but you never get rid of it. That said... Be 100% upfront with your recruiter about it and the medical guy at the recruitment center will send you home with a paper that needs to be filled out and signed by your doctor.

As for the Depression, I cant comment on that best just to ask them.

good luck!
Pro Patria

Offline infamous_p

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • ex-GGHG
past antidepressants...
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2005, 16:29:51 »
hey hows it going everyone

i applied to the CF reserve in november of 2004 (approx. 2 months ago) and everything is good to go.. but i have one question for anyone who has an informed answer for it

my medical and my interview went perfectly, but the only thing holding my file back is the note from the doctor i needed regarding a past depression episode i had. i was on antidepressants for approximately a year and a half, but i was taken off them last march of 2004 and i have had no symptoms as of then nor any side effects - i have been diagnosed as mentally stable and my chances of depression recurring are slim to none. i handed in the note today, and its being reviewed and they told me ill be starting BMQ tomorrow (friday january 14) if theyre fine with my doctors note..... so.. if i have been off the medication and symptom free for 10 months... as well as have an excellent prognosis.. should i be good to go?

thanks for any input guys
Nulli Secundus

Offline infamous_p

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • ex-GGHG
Re: past antidepressants...
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2005, 16:31:30 »
i should restate that this application was for reserve not regular... so if that makes any difference

thanks again
Nulli Secundus

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2005, 18:32:59 »
so.. if i have been off the medication and symptom free for 10 months... as well as have an excellent prognosis.. should i be good to go?

Only the DND doctor (in Borden) who reviews recruit files with medical issues can give a definitive answer.

See the Medical threads in the Recruiting FAQ for similar issues and remarks on the Medical Review process:

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21101.msg103980.html#msg103980

Offline spenco

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2005, 21:42:48 »
I was on Paxil for about 18 months, I got off in '02.  I have been absolutely symptom free since then but they still made me get a psycholigist's letter to prove that.  It wont make a difference if you go PRes or Reg, they both have the same standards.  The only thing I can think of that would hold you back is time: they may not think that 10 months is long enough. 

justincanada

Would Past Depression Hinder My Acceptance?
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2005, 19:15:30 »
Hi folks,

I've been wanting to join the Navy for a few years now and I've researched it quite a bit, but a few years back by doctor put me on a mild anti-depressant for a year. I'm not on it anymore but I was wondering if this would disqualify me for acceptance into the Canadian Forces?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Justin.

Offline kitrad1

• Rate Post
Re: Would Past Depression Hinder My Acceptance?
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2005, 21:03:22 »
You're better off to speak directly with the people in the know. Phone your local recruiting centre and speak with their medical staff. My guess is that when you apply and go through your medical, they will ask for some additonal information (type, duration etc). I'm no healthcare professional, but it's just my opinion.

Good luck.

coupland

Ques. About Depression: Any Positive Outcomes?
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2005, 14:21:18 »
Hello:

I have ready many threads about depression and trying to get into the military, however I have not seen any that talked about having been on anti-depressants in the past and still getting into the military.  Does anyone have a positive experience like that which they could share?

Cheers

Uberman

Re: Ques. About Depression: Any Positive Outcomes?
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2005, 14:38:21 »
I am in a similar boat - Four years ago my family doctor prescribed Paxil for me. I tried it for a couple of months. My stresses were more situational than clinical depression. After applying and having a medical done by the military Warrant Officer, I went to my family doctor and a psychiatrist who both gave me clean bills of heath with the "would not hesitate to recommend Mr. *** for military duty. Hopefully that will eleviate any concerns. The point is, pro-actively obtain the evaluation and letters from your physician(s). Hopefully that will stomp out any concerns pre-emptively.

Good luck, if I ever get my med docs back from Borden I'll let you know if it succeeded. You may also wish to look at this thread : http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,26645.0.html

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 15:05:37 by Uberman »

Offline spenco

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2005, 22:56:32 »
I was on paxil for about a year ending in 2001 and my medical cleared on the second attempt, I had to get a letter from a shrink saying I was good to go.

Offline infamous_p

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • ex-GGHG
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2005, 22:30:52 »
Hello:

I have ready many threads about depression and trying to get into the military, however I have not seen any that talked about having been on anti-depressants in the past and still getting into the military.   Does anyone have a positive experience like that which they could share?

Cheers

I had depression in the past, and I was on a heavy daily dose of antidepressants. I was cleared and accepted into the military upon acquiring letters from my psychiatrist. My file was cleared on the second attempt, no problem.
Nulli Secundus