Author Topic: 3 Oct 12 - Happy (first ever) Army Reserve Recognition Day!  (Read 8403 times)

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement on the occasion of Army Reserve Recognition Day:

“Today is a special day for a committed and valuable group of Canadians. Today is Canada’s first Army Reserve Recognition Day.

Army Reserve Recognition Day provides us with an opportunity to acknowledge the important role of Army Reserve members play for Canada, the Canadian Forces and the Canadian Army. Today, many men and women who serve as our part-time citizen soldiers will be acknowledged in their civilian workplaces.

Canada’s Army has almost 25,000 Reservists, including the Canadian Rangers. In a little over a decade, more than 4,000 Primary Reservists have been deployed overseas, and 3,000 Reservists have deployed inside Canada for domestic concerns over the last five years.  We are committed to honouring and recognizing the valued contribution of these soldiers.

Reservists fulfill a crucial role in our military, and their contribution to Canada and the world has been outstanding. Our Reservist are always there to provide assistance during any domestic emergency as they have done during floods in Manitoba and Quebec and wildfires in Northern Ontario, and to serve in international operations, such as the mission in Afghanistan and the humanitarian relief mission following the earthquake in Haiti.

In addition to devoting many weekends, evenings and often vacation time to their military service, Reservists often take months and years away from their civilian lives to serve as full-time soldiers.

Today, and every day, we admire and salute the sacrifices our Army Reservists and their families make so that they can serve all Canadians.

So, if you see a Canadian Army Reservist in your work place today, please take the time to shake their hand and say, “Thank you”.”
DND Info-machine, 3 Oct 12

Notwithstaning the special day, a quick thanks to ALL who serve, every day  :salute:
"I do my best proofreading after I hit send."  @ComedyPosts

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline C.G.R

• Rate Post
Don't outsmart your common sense.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: 3 Oct 12 - Happy (first ever) Army Reserve Recognition Day!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:40:14 »
Notwithstaning the special day, a quick thanks to ALL who serve, every day  :salute:
Sure, make the Militia share their only day. Harsh man. Just harsh.   ;)
Far from an apprentice, but not yet a master.

"Je suis trop honnête pour être poli" ~Louis Scutenaire (1905-1987)

Offline bridges

• Rate Post
  • Servitium Nulli Secundus
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:47:04 »

Really. ;D

I do like this part: 
To celebrate this day, Army Reservists are encouraged to wear their uniforms at work or school. On October 3, you might be surprised to learn that friends, neighbours and colleagues are Reservists!

-but I wonder how many heard about it in time to do it?  I just heard about this today.  Like "Car-Free" day and various others that are publicized on the day-of, participation is often impractical by the time you hear about it. 

Cool idea though, and maybe some day it will include all elements.  Thanks to all reservists.   :salute: :cdn:

"Only a person of liberal mind is entitled to exercise coercion over others in a society of free men."   -General Sir John Winthrop Hackett, GCB, CBE, DSO & Bar, MC

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:50:28 »
It was only to tide over the sailors and aviators until they get their own day  ;D

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Sigs Pig

• Rate Post
  • Don't wake the bear...
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 14:33:21 »
-but I wonder how many heard about it in time to do it?  I just heard about this today.  Like "Car-Free" day and various others that are publicized on the day-of, participation is often impractical by the time you hear about it. 

Cool idea though, and maybe some day it will include all elements.  Thanks to all reservists.   :salute: :cdn:

We were told about this last night and I read the above links here today. You are right there is rarely enough warning to action some of these things. But I am happily sitting at my civvy work desk in uniform, answering a lot of questions, so the idea does work.

Same trouble with the "1812" pins... we have yet to see those and I am sure won't be able to wear them in 2013.   ::)

ME
We work to eat to get the strength to work to eat to get the strength to work.
- John Dos Passos, 1896 - 1970

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 14:50:01 »
We were told about this last night and I read the above links here today. You are right there is rarely enough warning to action some of these things. But I am happily sitting at my civvy work desk in uniform, answering a lot of questions, so the idea does work.

Same trouble with the "1812" pins... we have yet to see those and I am sure won't be able to wear them in 2013.   ::)

ME

Don't worry.  The 1812 pins are for wear through 1815, as I recall...

Just checked: CANFORGEN 140/12:   A WAR OF 1812 COMMEMORATIVE PIN SHALL BE WORN BY CF PERSONNEL DURING THE COMMEMORATIVE PERIOD COMMENCING IMMEDIATELY AND ENDING 16 FEB 15.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline bridges

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 14:52:00 »

ME

If memory serves, those are good til 2015.    Yep - 16 Feb 2015, according to the Canforgen.  So you're safe with that one!   ;D

Good for you, for bringing visibility to the Res F where you work.   :salute:
"Only a person of liberal mind is entitled to exercise coercion over others in a society of free men."   -General Sir John Winthrop Hackett, GCB, CBE, DSO & Bar, MC

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 15:43:10 »
Don't worry.  The 1812 pins are for wear through 1815, as I recall...

Just checked: CANFORGEN 140/12:   A WAR OF 1812 COMMEMORATIVE PIN SHALL BE WORN BY CF PERSONNEL DURING THE COMMEMORATIVE PERIOD COMMENCING IMMEDIATELY AND ENDING 16 FEB 15.

Issuance of said pins in LFCA will commence immediately upon their arrival here for distribution. This is estimated to be on or around 17/02/15.

BTW why Feb 2015 cut off? The war ended in Jan 1815, well actually Dec 1814 with the last two major battles being fought the following month.
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.
#415 | Rank: 7 | Cbt Exp: 536 | Msns: 137

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 15:49:44 »
Issuance of said pins in LFCA will commence immediately upon their arrival here for distribution. This is estimated to be on or around 17/02/15.

BTW why Feb 2015 cut off? The war ended in Jan 1815, well actually Dec 1814 with the last two major battles being fought the following month.

If you have to ask "Why is the CF several months late on something important" you're obviously a walt.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 15:58:51 »

If you have to ask "Why is the CF several months late on something important" you're obviously a walt.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline bridges

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 16:16:12 »
[tangent]

This site says the "conflict" ended in February 1815 - I don't know where the truth lies, personally.  http://www.1812heroes.ca/uploads/5/6/4/1/5641624/bhbmarch.pdf

[/tangent]

Anyway, Happy Army Reserve Recognition Day!

Offline exgunnertdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 16:23:20 »
"First ever?"

I remember wearing my uniform to work sometime in the early 2000s, I think it was?  There was media coverage - I got my picture in the local paper!   ;D

"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
"God fights on the side with the best artillery"
- Napoleon

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 16:35:00 »

I've been outed. I'm walting as an over the hill retired Cold War era dinosuar RCL type, now that's pathetic. There must be a Facebook Support group out there for me. :-[ :'(
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.
#415 | Rank: 7 | Cbt Exp: 536 | Msns: 137

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
VAC Minister heaps on the praise, too
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 17:04:07 »
The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs, issued the following statement today regarding the first annual Army Reserve Recognition Day:

“Canada’s reservists play an important role in today’s Canadian Forces. In the past 10 years, their contributions have grown substantially. Most recently, in Afghanistan, reservists served alongside their Regular Force comrades. When you consider that these individuals undertake much of their training on weekends and often also hold a civilian job, it is a remarkable accomplishment.

Today’s Army Reserve was once known as the militia; groups of organized citizens providing protection for their families and communities from outside threats. These groups were made up of settlers equipped with whatever weapons were at hand. With time, the concept has evolved to more organized military units trained to meet the changing needs of society. During the First and Second World Wars, reservists were active members of the war efforts, participating fully at home and overseas. In more recent years, the Army Reserve has progressively increased its operational role in Canada’s worldwide contributions to peace and security.

As Canadians, we must recognize and remember these individuals who are our neighbours and co-workers. They have contributed toward Canada’s efforts for peace. Many of them are Veterans of past wars or peacekeeping missions and some have given their lives in this important service. Today we remember our Canadian Army reservists.”
VAC Info-machine, 3 Oct 12

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

MikeL

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 17:12:14 »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/03/ns-army-reservists-recognition-day.html

I'm a bit surprised the LCol in the photo doesn't have his medals mounted.

Uniforms at work to highlight part-time soldiers
CBC News Posted: Oct 3, 2012 3:31 PM AT Last Updated: Oct 3, 2012 5:14 PM AT

There was a mix of pencil skirts, business suits and army uniforms in many workplaces across the province Wednesday as part-time soldiers marked the first Army Reservists Recognition Day.

The event is supposed to highlight co-workers who moonlight in the Canadian military.

Paul Allen traded the garb he'd usually wear as executive director of Nova Scotia's Utility and Review board for the uniform he wears as a part-time soldier.

Allen said his lieutenant-colonel uniform stands out at the office.

"From time to time they see me in uniform and it's a bit of a surprise. If I have a military event and I arrive at the office in combats or in dress uniform as I am today. it does remind them that I am in the army but they don't think about that day in and day out," he said.

Cpl. Nicole Reid, 19, said she joined the reserves three years ago to help with the family finances.

She said the uniform comes with a new set of priorities and friends.

"Instead of going shopping for three hours they'd be like, 'hey, do you want to go to the gym, I've got a new workout.' It's very different."

The army said it hopes honoring its reservists and asking them to wear the uniform to their day jobs will show a side of the military people rarely think about.

Allen said the two jobs overlap in many ways.

"I mean here at the board we do public hearings all over the province and the set up of those hearings, the co-ordination of the hearings, there is a tremendous overlap to military planning."

According to the Canadian Army's website, Oct. 3 was chosen because this was the day in 1914 that the volunteer group the 1st Canadian Division left from Quebec to sail to Europe at the start of the First World War.

Offline Harris

is looking for work.

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 17:44:26 »
He did just get his QDJM this morning.   >:D  As for the CD.  :dunno:
Cheers

Todd
Army.ca

"...persons escaping a lethal dose of radiation may well be rendered seriously ill and or be more prone to various forms of cancer in later years. Hence, their morale and performance may be expected to slump."
Crap, I think I got a lethal dose!!!
#9 | Rank: 1228 | Cbt Exp: 1,860,089,811 | Msns: 11,232

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 17:51:36 »
Yeah, but at least he's wearing his 1812 pin properly. ;)
If I were to live every day as though it were my last, the body count would be staggering

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline bridges

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 17:57:35 »
The photo caption says he's a chartered accountant, but the story says he's ED of Nova Scotia's Utility and Review board.  I'd guess the latter is correct-?

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 17:58:42 »
The photo caption says he's a chartered accountant, but the story says he's ED of Nova Scotia's Utility and Review board.  I'd guess the latter is correct-?

They're not mutually exclusive; a lot of senior execs are CAs.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 18:05:03 »
So do we only celebrate for 85% of the day?

I kid, I kid.  >:D

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 18:50:06 »
So do we only celebrate for 85% of the day?

I'd rather be acknowledged for 85% of the day than ignored for 100%.  Let's see if this actually becomes an annual event.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 20:12:13 »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/03/ns-army-reservists-recognition-day.html

I'm a bit surprised the LCol in the photo doesn't have his medals mounted.

As Harris said He just got the QJM this morning and His CD doesn't need to be mounted if you only have one medal. If you put 2 way tape behind the pin and push it all the way through the tunic it won't spin

As one of my Reg force buddy's emailed me today " happy MO day" ;D
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

MikeL

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 20:34:07 »
His CD doesn't need to be mounted if you only have one medal.

I've heard that before,  but wasn't 100% sure if it was true.  I just remember seeing some guys getting jacked up for not having their GCS(only medal they had) mounted after tour.  Plus in my current unit,  and seeing pers from other units it looked like everyone had their single medal mounted.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Cell SUPERVISOR and 2 TROOP WARRANT
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 20:44:10 »
As Harris said He just got the QJM this morning and His CD doesn't need to be mounted if you only have one medal. If you put 2 way tape behind the pin and push it all the way through the tunic it won't spin

As one of my Reg force buddy's emailed me today " happy MO day" ;D

I've heard that before,  but wasn't 100% sure if it was true.  I just remember seeing some guys getting jacked up for not having their GCS(only medal they had) mounted after tour.  Plus in my current unit,  and seeing pers from other units it looked like everyone had their single medal mounted.

According to CFP 265 Ch 4 ORDERS, DECORATIONS, MEDALS AND OTHER HONOURS Para 6.....

c. Mounting. Court mounting shall be used.
The length from the top of the medal bar
suspender to the bottom edge of the medal
shall be 10 cm (4 in.)

CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer
#93 | Rank: 117 | Cbt Exp: 1,653,320 | Msns: 1,930