Author Topic: Traffic Tech Help  (Read 3622 times)

Offline RyanCunningham

• Rate Post
Traffic Tech Help
« on: January 29, 2012, 16:27:10 »
I`m a Weapons Tech cpl but i am planning to re muster to traffic but before i make my choice i wanted to know how much math is involved on the traffic tech ql3`s and ql5`s and in the trade itself and what sort of math it is,, also any other info on the courses and training would help a lot .
also if i am already qualified lsvw, mlvw, forklift and 10 tonne could i be exempt from the initial 7 week course?

Offline Pistos

• Rate Post
Re: Traffic Tech Help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 23:48:01 »
Hey Ryan,

On your 3's and 5's there will be plenty of math but that is not to say that the math will be very advanced.  Basic math (add, subtract, multiply, divide) will get you by but basic algebra is also very useful (ie: a=b*c ...if you're given "a" and "b" can you solve for "c"?). 

The main thrusts of the Tfc 3's when I did it were famil with the pubs and load planning.  Being trained as a Weapons Tech you know how to reference pubs and you presumably have an eye for detail; that will help you on loadplanning where a single miscalculation can (on paper) crash your plane - again with the plenty of simple math stuff.

I'm not in a position to speak to the possibility of being exempt from your initial 7 weeks but my gut says no. Worst case, you'll have 7 weeks of bird courses where you'll consume copious amounts of coffee and enjoy homework-free evenings and weekends.  I can almost guarantee that no one will be shooting at you and your accommodations will be better than a 10 man in the field  ;D

Where you're posted and what position you fill will determine what life is like for you after CFSAL but academically it won't be any more challenging than your 3's.  Even your 5's is essentially a review of material covered on your 3's. 

Hope this helps some.  Feel free to PM me on any specific questions

Offline PMedMoe

is NOT a Med Tech.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I am NOT a Med Tech!!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:34:39 »
I doubt you'll get any kind of exemption.  The Tfc Tech course is not about driving.  Or, at least it wasn't when I took it.
“He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of dispute.” ~ Nietzsche ~

Offline Gramps

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 18:39:37 »
Myself and a few others from my 3's were exempt from most of the driving phase (with the exception of the forklift portion). While the rest were doing the driving, some of us were sent to CMTT or supply to assist with anything they deemed necessary.

As for the math portion, it is not that bad if you pay attention to what is being shown.
An object at rest cannot be stopped.

Offline Beezer

• Rate Post
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:09:55 »
Once I've completed my 3s and assuming I'm posted to Trenton or Winnipeg where or what section would someone freshly off his course find himself?
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them