Author Topic: reserve deployment  (Read 2726 times)

Offline shortym

• SIOL NA FEAR FEARAIL
  • Rate Post
  • SIOL NA FEAR FEARAIL
reserve deployment
« on: November 26, 2011, 20:38:03 »
how does reserve deployment work? do you get placed in a reg force platoon ? im taking about infantry.

MikeL

Re: reserve deployment
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:50:17 »
Not sure how it is now for Op Attention, but during the combat mission,  Infantry Reservists would join Regular Force units and be placed within sections, platoons, etc with Regular Force Soldiers.  The ones who were sent to NSE Force Protection were a bit different as that was mainly a Reserve manned unit.  I believe CIMIC and Psy Ops had a large percentage of Reservists as well.

In the past, I believe there was a entire Rifle Coy made up of Reservists in the Battle Group for some Bosnia tours.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:04:23 by -Skeletor- »

Offline Canadian.Trucker

• Roadrunner Actual
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
    • G&SF Website
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 14:56:57 »
This is all dependent upon the mission/theatre that you self-identify for and then the job that you're selected to do.  It's a pretty broad question you're asking because as an infanteer you can be placed in many non-combat arms jobs as well a hard wired Infantry positions.  As well for some theatres different workup training is required such as UNMO (United Nations Military Observer) type tasks, combat training etc  and therefore the length will also widely vary.

As Skeletor said there were situations where an entire sub-unit was all Reservists, but this is not always the case.  For example my entire Pl in Afghanistan was all Reservist (until we received a replacement for one of my guys that was injured), but the Battle Group had Reserve augmentation throughout right down to the Sections within the Rifle Company's.

Each tour and rotation is different depending on the theatre, specifics would help to answer your question better.
Tenacious and Versatile-G & SF

"Nevermind, I'll do it myself" - Me

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
- George Orwell

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 21:23:08 »
My reserve infantry unit has contributed members to:
NSE Force Protection (the platoon had 2 RegF Sgts and 1 RegF Pte)
NSE Det Kabul (SecFor)
NSE (later converted to MCU)
CIMIC
Psy-ops
OMLT
Battlegroup
408 SQN (door gunner)
TFK HQ
RC-South HQ

That only covers the last 5 years of deployment to Afghanistan. The list for other operations would probably fill lots of spaces. Every single member that filled these positions was an infantry reservist, either officer or NCM, and ended up working with other reservists and RegF members. As others pointed out, the composition of your sub-unit depends on theatre, task, and other variables.

Lots of stuff for infantry to do....
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson