Author Topic: New Course Shacks Coming to Gagetown  (Read 11086 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
New Course Shacks Coming to Gagetown
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:00:14 »
This from MERX:
.... The work includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the supply of labour, material, supervision and equipment necessary to construct a new three storey training accommodations facility (97 bedrooms) and associated site work .... The estimated cost for this opportunity is in the order of $11,703,000.00 .... (Tender call) Closing:  2011-05-05 02:00 PM Atlantic Daylight Saving Time ADT ....
Site plan of generally where they might be going attached.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:27:42 by milnews.ca »
"I do my best proofreading after I hit send."  @ComedyPosts

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Squadron Operations Warrant
Re: New Course Shacks Coming to Gagetown
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:23:48 »
Interesting they want to put it in the area where the firehall and the two churches are....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer
#93 | Rank: 117 | Cbt Exp: 1,653,320 | Msns: 1,930

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 14:57:46 »
Basically, it's going in the trees  ;D.

The new and as yet very fuzzily defined fire hall is supposed to move to the woods behind CFSME's gravel parking lot, with the chapels possibly moving to a new location somewhere up by the CANEX/Soldier's Arena.

That's why they won't let us expand the gravel parking lot  >:(

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline ArmyVern

just is.

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 15:04:43 »

Wook

Are they still talking about re-locating Tech Svcs Br lines from the B lines to the G lines (into new digs) as well? Last I heard, they were considering 'in the woods/field' to the left of the Officers quarters - directly accross the street from CFSME; you know -- co-located with their customers in a megaplex rather than on the far side of the base in 65+ yo buildings.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.
#59 | Rank: 256 | Cbt Exp: 17,157,084 | Msns: 6,478

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 15:17:49 »
Basically, it's going in the trees  ;D.

The new and as yet very fuzzily defined fire hall is supposed to move to the woods behind CFSME's gravel parking lot, with the chapels possibly moving to a new location somewhere up by the CANEX/Soldier's Arena.

Wook

Are they still talking about re-locating Tech Svcs Br lines from the B lines to the G lines (into new digs) as well? Last I heard, they were considering 'in the woods/field' to the left of the Officers quarters - directly accross the street from CFSME; you know -- co-located with their customers in a megaplex rather than on the far side of the base in 65+ yo buildings.

Hmm.... that would put it and the firehall in a boggy area.....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline ArmyVern

just is.

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 15:21:54 »

I don't think so. I thought the plan was for the firehall to be behind CFMSE (currently the gravel compound accross the street in the rear of the building -- looking towards range control).

For Tech Svcs, from the main entrance of CFSME, look towards the Officer's Mess in the G lines. Note the road into their lines proper. Immediately to the left along that road ... now an open grassy field with wooded borders (across the street from G2 in the attachment that was uploaded to this site).

No matter where, it is nice to see some movement on infrastructure there ... they were discussing this crap when I was newly posted in there in 2003.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 15:26:56 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 15:35:14 »
The plans I saw had much of the area around the F-lines marked off for "future development."

Like Vern said, the firehall was penciled in directly behind J-10.

Take all this with a grain or two of salt, this was back in Sep '10 when I tried to get a new parking lot and building for Fd Spt Tp/Pl...whenever the heck they end up coming over  ::)

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 16:11:07 »
I don't think so. I thought the plan was for the firehall to be behind CFMSE (currently the gravel compound accross the street in the rear of the building -- looking towards range control).

For Tech Svcs, from the main entrance of CFSME, look towards the Officer's Mess in the G lines. Note the road into their lines proper. Immediately to the left along that road ... now an open grassy field with wooded borders (across the street from G2 in the attachment that was uploaded to this site).

No matter where, it is nice to see some movement on infrastructure there ... they were discussing this crap when I was newly posted in there in 2003.

Went through that area this summer with a course and it was boggy down in there...

CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 16:38:48 »
Went through that area this summer with a course and it was boggy down in there...

Before all the construction in 1989 and the building of the Combat Arms School, what is it? J1; we used to take the TQ3s out into the woods between the H Lines (South Parade Sq), next to the old Rappel Tower and the K Lines and have them practice patrollings and stealth in playing "Capture the Flag".  It was all bog too.  When I looked at the foundation they built for J1, it was only three feet high.  I'm no Architect or Engineer, but even I could figure out that that foundation in a bog was not going to support a multi-story cement and brick building.  And people wondered why all the windows and the roof leaked.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Simian Turner

is a grumpy, disillusioned veteran!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 16:44:41 »
I am pretty sure the Building is J7 that houses all of the Schools in Gagetown.
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 17:00:33 »

Its been a while.  I left in '89 as the first steelwork was started.  I had a tasking there in 2004, but that was about it; and most of that was out at Clone's Biv Site.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ArmyVern

just is.

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 18:53:06 »

J7 it is; it is not shown on the uploaded file, but CFSME is the school located on the diagram just under the "scale".
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline General Disorder

Mmmmphhh!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 19:48:14 »
Yes, J7 houses four of the schools on base: Armour, Artillery, Tactics and Infantry.  The Engineers have their own building as pointed out in Vern's post.

For info,
G1 = Catholic Church and Chaplains' offices
G2 = Protestant Church
G3 = Firehall.

A 25 metre range used to be in the top half of the "survey area" betwen G3 and G2, alongside the road paralell with it.  Most of the "Survey Area" is wooded.

So, there I was....

Offline dogger1936

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 20:39:50 »

As someone else who has taken students on "recce" patrols there  Iconcur. It's boggy like that whole area that was around the old mess hall was.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 20:49:28 »
What!!??  No more tent city??!!  Heresy I say :-)

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline xo31@711ret

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 21:14:10 »
I've only been gone 5 years & sounds like I wouldn't recognize Gagetown; be quite the difference from when I was first posted to 'The Family' in 95

Offline Petard

• Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 23:13:09 »

There are non boggy areas in Gagetown?

Offline ArmyVern

just is.

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 23:57:01 »

MM

Yeah right; there's still LFAA(TC) located there ...  >:D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 00:17:13 »
It would certainly ease the burden on MSA for bit Vern if they didn't have to sign out/in and clean up all that canvas every year.  But hey, they're rentals anyway, so let them have the low rent housing  :whiteflag:

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 14:50:00 »

MM

Yeah right; there's still LFAA(TC) located there ...  >:D

AFAIK CFMSE RETS is the only school having students under canvas at CTC, even the CAP courses get weatherhavens....  ::)
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 15:18:30 »
How often are they actually in them though  ;D?

MM
MM

Offline ArmyVern

just is.

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 16:05:30 »

AFAIK CFMSE RETS is the only school having students under canvas at CTC, even the CAP courses get weatherhavens....  ::)

My point was, CFSME falls under "CTC" and if the new shacks are for CTC, there is still LFAA(TC) (NOT a part of CTC) who could avail themselves of Gagetown's famous summer block Tent Ciy --- whether they need to or not.   >:D

PS: Weatherhavens are also canvas; semi-permanent infrastructure, but still canvas.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams